05 yz250 fork rebuild

Hey guys,

I rebuilt my forks last spring by the book. The only thing is I didnt have a seal installer so I made my own. I put it all back together and it seems to have alot of stichtion when compressing. I compressed the forks all the way and tighten the wheel and clamps, but its almost like my slides are tight or maybe not all the way in. I am not leaking oil.

Did you replace the bushings too? If not chances are they are bad. Either that or you have the forks in a bind. Check them like this....

1.Install both forks and set fork height using calipers or a ruler. It is important that fork height be exactly the same for both sides. Tighten pinch bolts to the proper specs (Top: 18 Ft-Lbs | Lower: 15 Ft-Lbs).

2.Before installing axle make sure the end of it (and the edge of axle hole) has not been "mushroomed" from hitting it with a metal hammer. If theres any lip it must be ground off or fork will bind.

3.Install the axle (use rubber or plastic hammer only) and tighten the axle nut to proper spec (75 Ft-Lbs). If the axle turns while tightening, tighten one right side axle pinch bolt to hold axle in place.

4.Tighten both left side axle pinch bolts to spec (17 Ft-Lbs).

5.With the left side axle pinch bolts and axle nut tightened, loosen the right side axle pinch bolts. Take a small flat head screwdriver and carefully tap it into the slot between the two right side axle pinch bolts. This will enlarge the axle hole. You will then be able to grab the bottom of the right side fork tube and push it in and pull it out freely. You will be able to see the fork settle naturally into position on the axle without binding.

6.Remove the screwdriver and tighten the right side axle pinch bolts to spec (17 Ft-Lbs).

If you're wondering if your forks are currently bound up, put your bike on a stand and start this procedure at Step 4.

doc

Hey guys,

I rebuilt my forks last spring by the book. The only thing is I didnt have a seal installer so I made my own. I put it all back together and it seems to have alot of stichtion when compressing. I compressed the forks all the way and tighten the wheel and clamps, but its almost like my slides are tight or maybe not all the way in. I am not leaking oil.

This could be a situation, where the slider bushings are pinching the tubes,

I have one on the bench now I'm rebuilding.

Davej and I were discussing this very fork that you are talking about.

Here are the specs for that fork, per Davej at Smart Performance.

This measurement is taken in the outer chamber where the slider bushings

reside. You'll have to pull the fork apart.

2.050"

+.001

If you don't have the means to measure, take it to a machine shop.:ride:

But I would do what Shockdoc suggested first. If that doesn't get it.

Time to take the forks apart.

Hope this helps!

jwaseman

To add, if they are out of spec. and you get them machined out, make sure the Ra

is 8 to 10. Ra, is how smooth the surface needs to be.

Holy mf. thanks guys. I wish you guys lived near me. I would buy you a beer.

Here is another scenerio that was brought to my attention.

Lets say you are ready to add your fluid, You add your outer chamber fluid,

and set it near or beside the other fork. For some reason you

got pulled away and grab the same fork you just put fluid in. You add another

300 or so mL's of fluid, now you have one fork with 600 + ml and the other fork zero.

Wouldn't that feel like you had some stiction or very very stiff?:ride:

:ride: