Sign in to follow this  

So what exactly changed...

On a YZ250 between the years of 1996 and 2001?

I know they changed the colour of the air box from black to white, but what else? It's just that I bought myself some bling axle blocks for a 2000 (mine is a 99') and they didn't fit! So did they change the swinging arm?

Regards and respect to all...

There were a lot of changes between 96-01 for the YZ250. The YZ was in its peak of its development, and saw big changes every year. From memory the swingarm changed at least twice between 96-01. The most obvious change was the dark blue to the 98 blue which is still the current blue, but there was also linkage ratio changes, suspension valving changes, porting changes, brake changes, the list goes on and on.

There were a lot of changes between 96-01 for the YZ250. The YZ was in its peak of its development, and saw big changes every year. From memory the swingarm changed at least twice between 96-01. The most obvious change was the dark blue to the 98 blue which is still the current blue, but there was also linkage ratio changes, suspension valving changes, porting changes, brake changes, the list goes on and on.

That is correct but the swingarm was the exact same part... part #'s are identical.

where the axle block fits into the swinging arm was a lot bigger then the axle Zeta axle blocks that I purchased. They stated 00-04 but did not fit (too small).

where did you get em from, are you sure they are for a 2000 yz250? b/c the 99' and 00' yz 250 have the exact same part #, I even double checked.

00' yz250 5mv-22110-00-00

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=36479&manufacturer=6&category=3&year=2000&model=962

99' yz250 5mv-22110-00-00

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=35244&manufacturer=6&category=3&year=1999&model=902

That is correct but the swingarm was the exact same part... part #'s are identical.

Dont know what parts fische you are looking at, but they change several times, 4SR-22110-00, 5DH-22110-00, 5CU-22110-00. Now I cant check supercessions, but it looks like they do change.

I looked in the parts store on this TT.

EDIT: SWAPPER265 seems you are correct... the yamaha site shows diff parts num for complete assembly. But even so the axle block part numbers are the exact same.

The '96, '97, '98 YZ250s used a 3SP- axle and axle blocks. (Slender axle with a bolt-type head. The axle block slot in the swingarm was narrower as well)

1999 thru 2001 used a 5ET- axle and axle blocks. (Thicker axle with a flat head.)

So according to the Yamaha parts list, the 2000 axle blocks should fit a 1999. :ride:

It sounds like Zeta sent you the older style axle blocks.

Remember that the 96 uses a completely different motor than the 99 and newer machines. Done order or buy any engine parts from the wrong year and expect them to fit.

I think zeta messed up on your order as well.