Sign in to follow this  

IMS gas tank cap gasket disintegration

Well, it's always some little thing, isn't it? My bike is running flawlessly, and the weather was warm today (53) so I took her out this afternoon. I filled up the tank at a nearby station, and shortly after I got off road, I noticed gasoline running down the tank. It was coming from underneath the cap. Hmmmm. So, I pulled off the cap and the gasket was just about to fall in the tank. It was torn 3/4 of the way around the rim, and falling apart. I could see several pieces floating around in the tank. Grrrrr. Go back home, now I need a new gasket. Do they sell these anywhere, or do I have to purchase a whole new cap? Nothing here in town. Amazing how little shit can just set you back so you can't ride. Anybody else had this problem with these IMS tanks?

Well, it's always some little thing, isn't it? My bike is running flawlessly, and the weather was warm today (53) so I took her out this afternoon. I filled up the tank at a nearby station, and shortly after I got off road, I noticed gasoline running down the tank. It was coming from underneath the cap. Hmmmm. So, I pulled off the cap and the gasket was just about to fall in the tank. It was torn 3/4 of the way around the rim, and falling apart. I could see several pieces floating around in the tank. Grrrrr. Go back home, now I need a new gasket. Do they sell these anywhere, or do I have to purchase a whole new cap? Nothing here in town. Amazing how little shit can just set you back so you can't ride. Anybody else had this problem with these IMS tanks?

Ive never heard anything positive about IMS Tanks.

I've got an IMS tank on a KX250 that did the same thing, the rubber seal inside the cap rotted and fell in... lol

I replaced it with a seal from another old tank I had laying around. It was too large to fit in the cap so I trimmed it, and it works fine now. I don't know where you would find a replacement seal though.

If you don't have anything laying around you could try, there are replacement caps, as well as a Tusk aluminum cap. The plastic IMS caps are about $15 and the Tusk ones about $30. This thread has good things to say about the Tusk cap, and bad things to say about the IMS seals... :ride:

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70148

Generally you can call IMS and they will ship you at least one replacement free.

FWIW - I believe the IMS tank manufacturing is not that repeatable. On my KLR I went thru at least 3 gaskets (after #1 I took pains not to overtighten etc). However, on my XR, I've had the same IMS cap/gasket for 4 years now and never think twice about it.

I had the same problem and noticed it filling up right before a race. There were rubber particles inside the tank and luckily the inner filter kept them out of the carb.

You're not the first. I'll never forget standing by the trail hosing race gas off the (burning!) tender bits with the camelbak when a group of guys came flying up....I swear I heard banjos! That's what happens when you don't notice quick enough and ignore that gas smell. I called IMS and was told that I was welcome to buy a new cap/seal combo from one of their retailers...

They last longer if you are careful to make sure that the seal is fully seated in the cap EVERY TIME you put the cap on.

Steve

I think this is a common issue. I had to replace mine as well. Now I noticed mine when I wanted to ride so I made a gasket. It did not work too well, but it did stop most of the leaking. A couple weeks later I bought a new one. Problem solved.

I had no luck with calling IMS either. No freebies for me.

I had the same problem with my clarke tank,It's the ethanol they are putting in the gas it eats up rubber.

Edited by scarty111

I have had the same cap on my 650R (IMS 4.6) for over 5 years and a LOT of miles, with no issues.

I have seen some gasket failures on a few caps (both stock and aftermarket). in a pinch you can use a piece of innertube to seal it.

I took the cap down to a local shop, and was able to use a different gasket from a different cap and tank. The diameter was the same, and after draining my tank to get all the gasket pieces out, she's back in service. Sweet!

Same thing here. I took the cap and went to the local hardware store and got a big oring that fit inside the cap. Works great for the last few years. Im sure its not Ment for "gas" but the little amount it see's its no big deal. I inspect the oring all the time ans have yet to see any noticeble wear.

Generally you can call IMS and they will ship you at least one replacement free.

FWIW - I believe the IMS tank manufacturing is not that repeatable. On my KLR I went thru at least 3 gaskets (after #1 I took pains not to overtighten etc). However, on my XR, I've had the same IMS cap/gasket for 4 years now and never think twice about it.

I wouldn't replace crap with crap, clarke gaskets work and last, and clarke will get a kick out of replacing IMS crap with thier stuff:p