Exhaust Question

I have a Dakota that when I bought it has dual pipes with polished steel tips. My friends and I couldn't find any markings on them on inspection saying who made them so I can only assume it was a factory option.

Anyway, the right side has severed from about...2' to the tip (I only quickly inspected it, looks like it rusted at that joint and severed but it could have been from me backing into part of a dirt hill on my driveway at some point) so now the truck is one giant back massager...not too much louder honestly.

I wanted to know if anyone thinks it's possible to repair something like this? (I don't have a welder myself, so I'll probably have to take it somewhere) Does it even need welded if the break is AFTER the cat converter or am I now forced into replacing the entire system?

I looked into buying another system...about 400-500 bucks (No ****in thanks). Stock I assume is probably the same price as OEM is ALWAYS jacked up high. I would rather just get a straight pipe put in at this point but I have no idea.

Any advice?

What condition is the rest of the exhaust system in? Pipes solid or rotted?

If things are in solid condition, a good exhaust shop should be able to repair the problem without soaking you like a complete new system.

They look pretty solid to me and always have been which is why it surprised me. I'll try and get a picture of it later on.

Any idea on what a welding shop would charge for doing something like this if it can be fixed?

They look pretty solid to me and always have been which is why it surprised me. I'll try and get a picture of it later on.

Any idea on what a welding shop would charge for doing something like this if it can be fixed?

Should be under $100 to fix that.....you can usually get a cat-back dual system done all new for under $300.

http://img402.imageshack.us/i/0214100206.jpg/

Sorry for the ultra-shitty 2-AM cell phone picture, but you can see the break and theres no real severe rust on the pipe, its mostly surface rust from what it seems on closer inspection so it must have been something I did to it at some point. the muffler is the tube on the right of the pic to give you a point of view.

I must have also been high, drunk, maybe a combination but the break is just from the tip to the muffler (Hence it not being much louder) and not the actual cat conv. Dunno *** I was looking at before.

I say go to a small muffler shop and have them weld on a new muffler. Had one install a new Magnaflow for me on my Dakota, grand total was $185. BTW, what year is your truck and what motor?

99' and a 5.2L.

That's an option but since the muffler is still intact, I'd like to see if they can just re attach the end to it.

It can be done. If the muffler looks as rusted as that, I'd go ahead and replace it anywas cause it may rust apart soon.

It can be done. If the muffler looks as rusted as that, I'd go ahead and replace it anywas cause it may rust apart soon.

Same here, as crusty as the pipe looks, I'd budget for replacement.