Sign in to follow this  

XR600 Clutch issue

I'm having an issue with my clutch on my XR. You pull the lever and the clutch doesn't seem to be engaging fully. If you try to push her forward or backward in gear with the clutch lever puuled in she stills gives resistance like the clutch isn't being pulled. If you fire her up and then pull the clutch in and put it in gear it clunks into gear, she isn't creaping forward though until you realese the clutch lever. I have tried adjusting the clutch at the lever and also at the gear box end but still no good. If I remove the cable and pull the gearbox end lever by hand all the way it still doesn't seem to engage properly and there is resistance still. Not sure what is going on but does any one have any idea what it might be and any quick fixes with out pulling the clutch completely apart?

Not sure if it has any thing to do with it but I had a flat rear tyre when I got up this morning. Fixed it up and when I put the rear tyre back on I turned the chain adjuster two clicks as the chain was quit slack. With the two clicks it made the chain's free slack 35mm. So once she was back together I went for a 10 minute ride to the local mall, parked her up for about an hour then rode home. On the ride home I noticed that her tone sounded slightly different, slightly muffled compared to usual, not as crisp a note. Also the gear changes seamed slightly rough like each gear kind of jerked in and she slightly reved abit like I wasn't pulling the clutch in properly. Like I said not sure if it has any thing to do with it.

Tell you all one thing though, the old saying about buying second hand bikes is starting to ring true. The old girl seems to be giving up on me every time I take her out.

Sounds like you need a clutch service. Warped plates, grooved basket splines, sticking plates are causes for a grabby clutch.

Thanks cwcarter for the response. I'm no mechanic but not scared to pull things apart but is an XR clutch something I could do myself with a service manual or is it best left to a mechanic?

Thanks cwcarter for the response. I'm no mechanic but not scared to pull things apart but is an XR clutch something I could do myself with a service manual or is it best left to a mechanic?

You really can`t get into an easier job...pull the clutch cover off and 4 bolts on the clutch and she comes apart.........

You should have a manual or parts breakdown for torque values and so you can see how things go together....there is a aluminum spacer with an o-ring arround it that goes into the oil pump to clutch cover you need to be aware of..should replace that o-ring...also on the 600R you might want to replace/check the kick starter shaft seal for leaks/wear........

You`ll likely need the cover gasket too........if you are getting into this get the steels and frictions,replace them all........post a picture of the basket here for us to see if the outer basket is worn/notched badly or not...

Anyway,tear it apart,post pics,ask questions,do it yourself,we`ll help,always someone here to answer any questions you might have.....

Oh,,if you don`t want to drain the oil you can lay her on it`s side and pull the cover,keeps the mess down too:thumbsup:

Brian

Hey thanks heaps for that reply Brian. Instently given me confidence to pull her apart. She apperantly had a service only days prior to me purchasing her but I think I'll dump the oil just to be sure. What oil would you recomend for an old 87 XR600? I've noticed that on the odd acasion it feels like the kick starter breaks when you kick it but it is fine then for the next 100 kicks or so, would that be a sign of a kick strat shaft issue?

Thanks again

To add to what others said.

Clutch work really is one of the easiest jobs. Tear into it.

Hey thanks heaps for that reply Brian. Instently given me confidence to pull her apart. She apperantly had a service only days prior to me purchasing her but I think I'll dump the oil just to be sure. What oil would you recomend for an old 87 XR600? I've noticed that on the odd acasion it feels like the kick starter breaks when you kick it but it is fine then for the next 100 kicks or so, would that be a sign of a kick strat shaft issue?

Thanks again

I`m not up to par on the kick starter since i have the XRL and shes got the magic button:thumbsup:

As for oil most people use either 10w40 or 20w50 depending on the temperature you ride in..i`m in a colder climate so tend to stick to 10w40 motorcycle oil,gonna try Amsoil full synthetic i think right after i break in the new rebuild this spring i think...

I`m sure someone here might help on the kickstart issue and give you a heads up on what to look for when you have her apart,the XRL and the XR600R share quite a bit in the engine department,,,,except the kicker:lol:

I have a friend that is gonna take his Kawi ZX9R apart for the same issue on the clutch,,it doesn`t release well either,should be interesting to see what you guys find..

Brian

I've noticed that on the odd acasion it feels like the kick starter breaks when you kick it but it is fine then for the next 100 kicks or so, would that be a sign of a kick strat shaft issue?

Thanks again

I recently rebuilt my XR6 and had some difficulty reinstalling the kick starter properly. In the end it was a simple task, but if you do it, there's a trick to getting it back together. The two manuals I had were just too simplistic for my numbskull brain to figure it out.

BTW, mine makes the same "oh shit, it just broke" noise too, even after rebuild. Works fine though.

Here's a post of mine from my rebuild about the kickstarter re-assembly.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522701&page=4

Thank you all for the replies. It will defenetly make the job easier with a forum full of good guys willing to help. Thanks heaps in advance.

If I need to replace the clutch plates what are the best to go for? Is there a brand to stay clear of? Are any of the cheap ebay after market plates any good or should I stick to honda parts?

Thank you all for the replies. It will defenetly make the job easier with a forum full of good guys willing to help. Thanks heaps in advance.

If I need to replace the clutch plates what are the best to go for? Is there a brand to stay clear of? Are any of the cheap ebay after market plates any good or should I stick to honda parts?

OEM is the safe bet, I've heard mixed reviews on the cheapo tusk.

Thanks again. Will wait till bike shop is open tomorrow and check availability before pulling her down.

I might lay her on her side and pull her apart and just have a look at the clutch. Seems weard that it didn't show any signs of packing up before it did or is that normal? Then again I'm no seasoned rider so it might have been showing signs and I didn't see them. Is there a way to tell if the oil is too thin?

lay it on its left side then you dont have to do an oil change.

if you remove the plates, scratch on them the order in which they came out, and remember to put them in in the exact same order and place.(incase you find they are good and want to reuse them).

i just went through my clutch. it is real heavy but i couldn find the cause. i filed down the small basket notches and put her back together.

So I have layed her down and pulled the side cover. The springs appear whitened to one half, looks like possible dicolouration from heat. All the fibre plates look good. All the steel plates look good exept the 3rd one in appears to be discoloured from heat. I haven't messured their thickness yet but all look like new and are very straight. The clutch basket's fingers have slight grooving on them so I will file/sand them smooth. I see in the manual it says to use a lock nut wrench on the cluch lock nut. I don't have one, can I use a standard socket? Also when putting it back together should I keep all the plates in order as they come out? and do they need to be re-oiled first? I'll take some snaps in a while and post them also.

I have messure all the fibre plates and they all read 2.9 exept one is 2.8. The Manual says 2.6 limit. The springs messured up at 45.5 but oine was 44.5. Limit is 43.1 so I am guessing it is all fine there. I have nothing that I know is 100% flat so not sure how I can messure my steel plates. Do you need to soak the fibre plates over night even if I put the old ones back in? I have pulled the lever a few times but can't really see what is wrong and causing the problem. What is the best way to hold onto the centre clutch to undo the lock nut with out damaging the centre clutch? Was going to throw a ringing around one of the spring mounts but not sure if it will snap off, appears to be only cast alloy so bit weak I'd say. Could the grooves in the basket fingers cause the clutch to not operate properly?

Also On the fibre plates every third tooth has a little semi circle cut out on one side. Do they have to be lined up? Staggered? Facing the same way? They were all over the shop when I pulled them out. No order at all. But would it be better to have them sorted?

Put the bike in 5th gear, wedge something to lock up the rear through the sprocket resting against the swing arm, then torque the clutch bolt to spec with a torque wrench.

New clutch springs are cheap. If they are out of spec, might as well replace them.

I borrowed a rattle gun from a mate and pulled the clutch center and basket off. I filed down the basket fingers so it is smooth now and give the basket and center a good clean with crc and compressed air. I did notice though that on the back of the center and on the front of the baskt, where they meet, there is a real rough spot on them both, almost feels like it has been rubbed with 80 grit paper and there is also what appears to be tiny fractures/cracks, kinda looks like crows feet in oil paint work, they don't go all the way through only on the surface. Appears like bad casting marks that were never cleaned up, is this normal? Does look superficial though, not sure if it is any thing to worry about. Should I give those two areas a light sanding to smooth them out a bit just incase?

Oh and also forgot I checked all the steel plates on a piece of glass and they are all good, even the discoloured plate. I'm starting to think it may have just been the oil. I will put it all back together and then see what happens, if nothing has changed I change my oil.