valve adjustment dr650 97'

im planing on doing a valve adjustment on my dr650 97' for 1st time (4000miles) but i was looking at the tools on procycle and wanted to find out do i need both tools the adjustment tool and the adjustment wrench?? im guessing they both do same thing its just which i like better??

btw is there any tricks that might help me with my 1st check and mayb adjentments of valves that i should know about b4 i diging in???

thanks for the info..

im planing on doing a valve adjustment on my dr650 97' for 1st time (4000miles) but i was looking at the tools on procycle and wanted to find out do i need both tools the adjustment tool and the adjustment wrench?? im guessing they both do same thing its just which i like better??

btw is there any tricks that might help me with my 1st check and mayb adjentments of valves that i should know about b4 i diging in???

thanks for the info..

Yes, pick your weapon. I like the round knob type since even with a longer wrench your adjustment is going to float a bit when you tighten the lock nut. I find it much easier to control the three components (adjuster tool, lock nut wrench and feeler gauge) with the knob type tool.

Use a box end 10mm wrench so you can leave it on the lock nut while you tend to the adjuster and feeler gauge. Hold the adjuster in place and put a bit of snugness on the lock nut then add more counter force on the adjuster as you tighten the lock nut. You will likely have to take a few stabs at it to get just the right amount of drag on the feeler gauge with the lock nut tightened down.

Other things: Break loose your crank rotor bolt access plug with the engine fully warmed up or you will likely destroy it before getting it out of the side cover. :ride: If you can't get it out just put the bike in 5th gear and rotate the wheel to line up the timing mark. Speaking of the timing mark... make sure you are on the right engine cycle.... compression stroke not exhaust stroke. Just watch for the intake valves to start closing then watch for the timing mark through the timing port. :ride:

Carp, read and re-read Mx Robs hints above and thoroughly understand the concept of the operation...then dive in carefully. It's not hard and you will be rewarded knowing it's done right in the end. Those tools are worth getting if you do not have them now. I fabbed up my own before they were offered for sale. To get the adustments spot on, those tools are almost required. FWIW, I did my first adjustment around 2k miles and everything was very, very close to spec.

Lastly, don't be discouraged by having to remove the tank, etc. I've got the seat, side panels and tank removal down to about 5 min. now. Just have a place set aside to lay out the parts, especially the tank, so as not to damage/scratch it.

You're gonna have a good time with the project. Hopefully.

:ride:Jessee at kientech has the tool kit also:thumbsup:,cheep too:thumbsup:.have fun..:ride::ride: