Keep tools from moving....

I got a Craftsman 13 drawer tool chest for Christmas, and I have a problem with my tools shaking around and creating a hot mess while we're travelling. I tried non-skid rubber mats, and even shadowing the tools with 1/2" foam. Nothing seems to work. How do you guys keep your tools and sockets from bouncing around inside the drawers? I'd love to be able to know where to look for a certain socket instead of having to guess if this is where its at. I have the socket rails, and they work. My problem is that I want to keep them from sliding back and forwards in the drawers.

Suggestions...?

harbor freight has magnetic socket and wrench holders or if you already have holders just get some strips of magnet. I had my wife get a sheet from the craft store and then I cut them to fit what I wanted.:ride:

I have a magnetic socket holder and that works great. You could pop rivet your socket rails to the drawer if you don't want them sliding around, or little sheet metal screws.

Wow kalvin22 said almost the same thing.

Edited by Pit_Man
similar post

magnets sound good and that seems to work for you guys. if it stops snowing around here i'll get out to wally world and see if i can get some.

thanks guys.

There is a foam about 1 in thick(different than the 1/2 in sheets sold by Craftsman), line the drawer, then heat the tool and place on the foam and it will melt into it, keep a spray bottle of water hany to cool the tool if it starts to sink too far. The optimum is for the tool to just barely be above the level of the foam. Best to lay everything out prior to melting any thing in. If you pull the tool out while it is still hot the foam will stick (peels off easy) if it is not disturbed until the tool cools the foam will have the perfect imprint of the tool.

Foam, make cut-outs. Makes you look like your anal retentive, but keeps things tidy. Easy to see if anything is missing too.

There is a foam about 1 in thick(different than the 1/2 in sheets sold by Craftsman), line the drawer, then heat the tool and place on the foam and it will melt into it, keep a spray bottle of water hany to cool the tool if it starts to sink too far. The optimum is for the tool to just barely be above the level of the foam. Best to lay everything out prior to melting any thing in. If you pull the tool out while it is still hot the foam will stick (peels off easy) if it is not disturbed until the tool cools the foam will have the perfect imprint of the tool.

This sounds like a great idea, any recommendations for what to heat the tool with? Do you just use a torch and drop them in?

I have used a fry daddy with oil in it ( messy) Or place the tools in your oven (250 deg, for just a few min) using tong or pliers place directly on the foam from the oven. For adding individual items at a later date I have heated the tool with a heat gun.