Sign in to follow this  

Bump starting a XR250 question

Just curious what gear you have the best luck with when bump starting a XR250?

Yeah, 2nd usually. Try the using the manual decomp technique. Makes bump starting easier than just dumping the clutch, especially if you can't get much speed up.

Just curious what gear you have the best luck with when bump starting a XR250?

usually i'm just rolling down a small hill slowly so i put it in 2nd, hold clutch with my fingers and decompresion with my thumb. let the clutch out, then let the decompresion off as soon as its running

Another method; forget the clutch. Pull in the comression release and click it into second gear, when the engine is turning over let go of the compression release. You may need to drop your butt on the seat when you drop the compression release to prevent rear wheel lock up.

Another method; forget the clutch. Pull in the comression release and click it into second gear, when the engine is turning over let go of the compression release. You may need to drop your butt on the seat when you drop the compression release to prevent rear wheel lock up.

^^

The compression release will make it easier to push in gear cause its getting less compression.