Need advice please

Hi,

I have a 2002 CR250 It is currently stripped down to the frame due to the fact that all the bearings in the bottom end are shot and my clutch is not working for some reason...I cant afford to get a shop in my area to rebuild the bottom end for me because ever shop is gunna charge me 1200 and up. This is where I need some advice, Would I beable to buy any year of bottom end and put it in with my top end back on? the top end fresh, I discovered alll the problems (minus the clutch) when I did the rings and put a new piston in it a couple months ago.

2002 and 2003 will work. Other than those I don't know for sure....

I can not belive that they are going to charge you 1200 to do the bottom end, thats crazy. I belive 02-07 will work. I would look around though at a few other shops. What all is wrong? just seals and barrings? It is not too hard to do the repairs yourself, and you can get all the parts for a lower end for less than 300 if you shop around.

Hi,

I have a 2002 CR250 It is currently stripped down to the frame due to the fact that all the bearings in the bottom end are shot and my clutch is not working for some reason...I cant afford to get a shop in my area to rebuild the bottom end for me because ever shop is gunna charge me 1200 and up. This is where I need some advice, Would I beable to buy any year of bottom end and put it in with my top end back on? the top end fresh, I discovered alll the problems (minus the clutch) when I did the rings and put a new piston in it a couple months ago.

You can definately get it done for cheaper. We had a discussion a couple of weeks ago with a CR80 owner with the same issue. Getting expensive quotes from dealerships. I would call Eric Gorr and also look for some local Motorcycle "speed" shops to get quotes. You can get the bottom end done for way cheaper and it would be more reliable then buying a used bottom end and putting your new top end on it.

You can definately get it done for cheaper. We had a discussion a couple of weeks ago with a CR80 owner with the same issue. Getting expensive quotes from dealerships. I would call Eric Gorr and also look for some local Motorcycle "speed" shops to get quotes. You can get the bottom end done for way cheaper and it would be more reliable then buying a used bottom end and putting your new top end on it.

Yah I guess I should try to shop around a little...I have seen like complete bottom ends on ebay but that would be a little bit risky i think thanks for the quick responses:thumbsup:

I have heard alot of positive things (on this site) about Eric Gorr, so I decided to do a google search.... Some of you who are fans of his might tell him to clear some of the negative stuff up.

Shop around dude. I have a great motor guy who'll do your bottom end for $240 plus parts..but you'd have to ship it to MN. I would keep shopping around in your area.

I have heard alot of positive things (on this site) about Eric Gorr, so I decided to do a google search.... Some of you who are fans of his might tell him to clear some of the negative stuff up.

I have also read some of the negative stuff that is out about him. I can only vouch for my experience though. I had him do my son's cr80 to supermini project. For $375, I got the cylinder resleaved to 52mm and ported for low to mid range power delivery. The rebuild came also included a top end piston/gasket kit. Every time I called him and didn't get an answer, he returned my call a few minutes later (probably calling the number on his caller id). He answered all my questions and shipped it all back 2 day air and didn't charge me for return shipping. I am going to use him again as soon as I decide to do my 125 to 144 project. I couldn't be happier with the service I was given and will recommend him to anyone that needs work.

Wow, its crazy what shops charge. Not a hard repair. Shop online for a crank assembly and bearings. I'm sure you can find them cheaper than what the shop wants. Maybe look for someone parting out a CR also. Good luck to you.