Sign in to follow this  

Tranny oil is Green?

Just bought the bike in craigslist, first oil change. The engine oil looked fine but the tranny oil has a distinct light green color to it. Not really seeing an metal in the oil but this doesn't look good.

On a related note, my clutch was not working well at all, never really pulled it out of gear.

Could be they put diff fluid(gl5) in it. That would explain the dragging clutch. Too thick. Does it really smell?

Here is a pic, some of the darker oil is from the engine oil that got in there as it drained.

photo.jpg

Doesn't smelll different, almost looks like it has water in it, kinda that milky look.

Not sure .... but its POSSIBLE that is the color of the tranny fluid used if the previous owner used a GEAR OIL.

Honda's gear oil is RED ... Redlines gear oil is LIGHT BLUE in color (like milky blue) ... not sure if anybody makes one that is green though???

Let us know when you know :ride:

poor it in a glass and let it sit .. see if it separates...if not its like you said diff oil

I use Motul 300V in my engine side. It looks almost exactly like that when fresh. Motul is maybe a little more flourescent though.

Cool, it did not separate so it must just be some funky looking oil. Can't help but be a little paranoid buying a bike without knowing the history.

It could be the motul like someone else said which is the same as the Kawi chem synthetic which also has that green tint to it.

judging by the color i'd guess its something like motul, and the reason its milky is the previous owner probably didn't change the oil enough and it has a lot of clutch material in it