Muzzy install with pics...

As I'm walking out to the garage, I tell my fiance, "I'll be back in an hour".

3 1/2 hours later, I'm done.

As some may know, the header flange spacer is too large in diameter. Also the spacer is too wide, which means the stud doesn't have enough threads showing to get the nut to grab. So, out came the dremel, and every sanding/grinding attachment I had. What a PITA. But, I finally got it to fit, and from what I can tell, it doesn't leak at the header. It does, however, leak at the mid pipe. Not too sure how to fix that. Also, the mid pipe is resting on the top of the case. Maybe I can try messing it and see if I can get it to clear. If I can't get it to clear, is it bad to have it touching the case?

Here are some pictures...

Old vs new. Check out the old mid pipe, the part in the sun. There's a huge dent. Is that supposed to be there?

2010-02-13_090116.jpg

The amount of material I had to remove from the flange. I think I'm going to open my own metal shop after seeing the quality of work I can do with a dremel :ride:

2010-02-13_115226.jpg

It's hard to see, but here's a shot of the material I had to remove off the spacer.

2010-02-13_115310.jpg

Mounted up. I had to remove my right rear turn signal. I have new LED signals on the way. Once they get here, I'll find a way to mount them.

2010-02-13_122236.jpg

The joys of having an E. I guess I can just make a bracket. I may remove some material off the exhaust so it's not right up against the sub frame tab.2010-02-13_122249.jpg

Here's where the mid pipe rests on the case.

2010-02-13_122300.jpg

Even though it's only 30 degrees outside, I still went for a ride. I love the sound. So much better than the stocker with the end cap removed. And the low and mid range power is very much improved. 1st gear, even low RPM, open the throttle and the front stands up. I used have to give the bars a tug. 2nd gear also does the same.

I was just in my neighborhood, probably pissing off the neighbors off, so I couldn't do much, but I can definitely feel an improvement in response and power.

Maybe tomorrow I can get a video with some drive bys.

I have a 165 main right now and may go to a 167, just to see how it does. May be too much though. I guess I just need to get out on the open road and rip through the gears and see how it does.

Steve

I have a Ti Muzzy and it fitted perfectly, zero mods needed. I don't think you have the mid pipe fully seated in the header. Plus it is close to turn sigmas but after 1K miles I have no issues like melting. Is is a tight fit but when it is aligned correctly it should fit fine.

For my midpipe I used Copper slip as suggested by William1. Worked great

Yes, my first go had the pipe resting on the case as well. Just remove the springs and keep twisting things around (mid-pipe and muffler) till it rises off the case. It will work.

Yes, my first go had the pipe resting on the case as well. Just remove the springs and keep twisting things around (mid-pipe and muffler) till it rises off the case. It will work.

Thanks, I'll keep messing with it. What a pain grinding the header flange, huh? How is it possible that they are selling these things with a major part that doesn't fit?

I had it out this afternoon. It warmed up to 32. Froze my balls off, but it was worth it. I love the response and the pull. Big difference from stock. Definitely worth the effort.

Sounds great too! Tomorrow I may take out the spark and quiet core and see what kind of a difference it makes.

Steve

This happened to me aswell , when I fitted my Barrett exhaust [ large bore aussie pipe ] . Dont leave the pipe touching the case for too long if you are riding . It started to either rub through or melt on mine . I didnt notice it for a while , so it ended up eating a bit of the case . If you loosen off the header and mid pipe , tail pipe mounts , it is possible to wrangle the set up into a position where it doesnt touch anything , then just tighten it up in place . I had issues with the shock touching my mid pipe , so look out for that aswell . I have just used permatex muffler putty to seal mine , it works well and I have had no leakes in two years . The one time I took my muffler and mid pipe off , it was like they were glued together , so very good seal , greg

I didn't grind any off the flange, but I have 2 different nuts on the header flange. I do not have any recollection of how or why...

The dent in the stocker is normal. Not a dent, a clearance factor...

Seems like some had to, and some didn't. Bad batch or something.

Definitely worth the effort.

That's exactly right.:ride: At that price I'm willing to put up with some do it yourself issues. The end result is GREAT.

Here is a pic of mine after install and some hard ridin.

382722573.jpg

I don't think the flange spacer is too big...I just think it has to be aligned perfectly or it won't slide in as far as it needs to. I just used some fine sandpaper to remove any burrs and give it more of a polished look then put a thin film of white grease on it and it slipped right in.

I can't wait to take it out for a test ride but the 18 inches of snow we just got has my bike staying in the garage under it's cover for now.

I don't think the flange spacer is too big...I just think it has to be aligned perfectly or it won't slide in as far as it needs to. I just used some fine sandpaper to remove any burrs and give it more of a polished look then put a thin film of white grease on it and it slipped right in.

I can't wait to take it out for a test ride but the 18 inches of snow we just got has my bike staying in the garage under it's cover for now.

wer'nt no grease goin to make mine fit. I had to remove quite a bit of material.

wer'nt no grease goin to make mine fit. I had to remove quite a bit of material.

Hmm......, not sure whether I woulda trusted myself to do even a little bit of fabricating, and I like to think I do a pretty good job at fabbing certain things.

From the looks of the pics in the 1st post, that's a lot of material to be grounded off. :ride:

You guys couldn't exchange the Muzzy for another, maybe one will fit better than the other?:ride:

Hmm......, not sure whether I woulda trusted myself to do even a little bit of fabricating, and I like to think I do a pretty good job at fabbing certain things.

From the looks of the pics in the 1st post, that's a lot of material to be grounded off. :ride:

You guys couldn't exchange the Muzzy for another, maybe one will fit better than the other?:ride:

20% restock fee and added shipping costs plus the time to deal with comunication is plenty reason for me to just give it a go myself. Not to mention it's pretty straight forward stuff, just takes a bit of time if you don't have the right tools.

20% restock fee and added shipping costs plus the time to deal with comunication is plenty reason for me to just give it a go myself. Not to mention it's pretty straight forward stuff, just takes a bit of time if you don't have the right tools.

That's how I felt. I waited a week to get my exhaust, and I was pretty excited to install it. Also, reading your post on the heated "budget exhaust" thread, gave me confidence that I could do it. I did refer to that post several times to make sure I had the same issues that you had, and did the same thing (more or less) to resolve it.

So, BillyBlue, you didn't notice a difference in low end tq? I noticed a huge difference. I haven't tested upper RPM yet. Too cold to go fast.

Steve

So, who has installed a Muzzy on an E like mine? What'd you do about the mid pipe mount? I'd like to see some pics.

Steve

That's how I felt. I waited a week to get my exhaust, and I was pretty excited to install it. Also, reading your post on the heated "budget exhaust" thread, gave me confidence that I could do it. I did refer to that post several times to make sure I had the same issues that you had, and did the same thing (more or less) to resolve it.

So, BillyBlue, you didn't notice a difference in low end tq? I noticed a huge difference. I haven't tested upper RPM yet. Too cold to go fast.

Steve

Glad that post helped. I wonder if these pipes are going for so cheap because they got that spacer the wrong diameter on a run of them? If so, I think we scored.

I noticed a small imrovement in the low range. Wait till you get to open her up, I think the bigger improvement in the mid to top will make the low seem smaller to you.

I don't doubt it. I can't remember, did you have to change your jetting? I'm thinking I may have been a tad rich before, because so far, it feels spot on now.

Yes. I got my numbers from Eddie about 2 years ago. He said to go with the 155 main with stock pipe for my conditions and when I asked about going to an aftermarket pipe he said to up the main to 160. I can try to dig up the threads if you need.

Current setup for 2000 to 5000ft elevation:

Muzzy

3x3

JD jet kit

160 main jet

blue needle/clip 4

stock 22.5 pilot jet with keitech fuel screw

2.75 turns fuel screw

OK, I should be fine then with a 165. I'm an E model at about 1200 feet. I have the JD, but can't remember what needle/ clip I have. It was whatever was recommended per the instructions. I don't have a fuel screw, but at the same time, I don't feel I need one right now. It runs great as is.

Thanks man,

Steve