Sign in to follow this  

2006 Shifting???

I'm looking to get back into riding after almost 10 years off. I used to race motorcross but also loved the trails. I don't really care about being competitive anymore so I was thinking that the 450X was the bike for me. I've always been a honda guy. I'm talking to a guy with a 2006 CRF450X . I've talked to him a couple times on the phone now. He said that the bike has sat in his garage for a year do to lack of time. I guess when he had a buyer over they noticed that the bike fell out of 4th gear. I'm not really sure what that means. I asked him if it went into netural or just reved. He didn't really know because he hasn't had time to look at it. I know this sounds shady so far. He also has a Recluse Pro clutch in it. Based off what he's saying and what I've read it almost sounds to me like the clutch is slipping in 4th. Can this be the clutch or do you think it's down in the cases. He said that he knows the gear is still there because he can double shift it and be fine in 4th. Not sure about that either. He also said that he's drained the oil on both sides. and no metal flakes at all. It's a really good deal at $2300 right now. The guy sounds like he's ridden for a while and sounds experienced just doesn't have time to deal with it. I've also been reading that the 450x has had some tranny issues. Can some one please give me a little insight.

I'm looking to get back into riding after almost 10 years off. I used to race motorcross but also loved the trails. I don't really care about being competitive anymore so I was thinking that the 450X was the bike for me. I've always been a honda guy. I'm talking to a guy with a 2006 CRF450X . I've talked to him a couple times on the phone now. He said that the bike has sat in his garage for a year do to lack of time. I guess when he had a buyer over they noticed that the bike fell out of 4th gear. I'm not really sure what that means. I asked him if it went into netural or just reved. He didn't really know because he hasn't had time to look at it. I know this sounds shady so far. He also has a Recluse Pro clutch in it. Based off what he's saying and what I've read it almost sounds to me like the clutch is slipping in 4th. Can this be the clutch or do you think it's down in the cases. He said that he knows the gear is still there because he can double shift it and be fine in 4th. Not sure about that either. He also said that he's drained the oil on both sides. and no metal flakes at all. It's a really good deal at $2300 right now. The guy sounds like he's ridden for a while and sounds experienced just doesn't have time to deal with it. I've also been reading that the 450x has had some tranny issues. Can some one please give me a little insight.

Any seller who says "didn't have time to look at it" really means " I looked at it, it seemed too expensive or difficult, so now I'm passing it one to you:.

Clutches don't cause a transmission to pop out of forth gear.

Double shift into forth??? That's double talk.

I would assume at the very least you would need to tear the motor down to the cases and rebuild at least (1) gear, and replace the shift forks, and maybe the shift drum.

$ 1500.00 is what I would offer him.

Any seller who says "didn't have time to look at it" really means " I looked at it, it seemed too expensive or difficult, so now I'm passing it one to you:.

Clutches don't cause a transmission to pop out of forth gear.

Double shift into forth??? That's double talk.

I would assume at the very least you would need to tear the motor down to the cases and rebuild at least (1) gear, and replace the shift forks, and maybe the shift drum.

$ 1500.00 is what I would offer him.

Good Advice, take it. :ride:

go ride it and see what is going on first. maybe the guy who rode it was trying to get a better deal.

to split the cases and get into the trans will cost you at least $800.

go ride it and see what is going on first. maybe the guy who rode it was trying to get a better deal.

If it were me, I'd keep looking for one with less problems. There seem to be quite a bit of bikes for sale in this Obama economy now.

Good advice. I had a potential buyer say the same thing about my XR4 when he test rode it. He wanted a better deal. I sold it to my next door neighbor who's been riding the peeoous out of it for 2 years and the box is perfect.:ride:

Thanks for all the replies. I was going to get together with him this weekend but he doesn't want to return my calls. It doesn't really seem like he wants to sale it. Maybe it's better off. I'm gonna go look at a 05 CRF450R today. We'll see what happens. I can't wait to get back on a bike though. It's been way to long.

Well I bought that 05 CRF450R. Seems like it's gonna be a great bike. It's amazing how much power they have.

Well I bought that 05 CRF450R. Seems like it's gonna be a great bike. It's amazing how much power they have.

Congrats! The '05 R is a venerable weapon no doubt. You'll enjoy it. I love my '07 R I bought by accident a little over a year ago. Turned out to be a great bike with minimal fuss to get it trail worthy. Stock gearing and little FWW will make your '05 R work great.

I love my '07 R I bought by accident a little over a year ago.

That's the kind of thing I try to tell my wife, "I bought the dirt bike on accident". I understand completely, sometimes it just happens even when you're not drinking.

My ex-wife tried to pull that one on me.

"I slipped and fell on his c0ck by accident."

Best thing that ever happened to me. The most expensive thing... but none the less... the best thing.

My ex-wife tried to pull that one on me.

"I slipped and fell on his c0ck by accident."

Best thing that ever happened to me. The most expensive thing... but none the less... the best thing.

Hahahahahaha...........my ex had the same accident..........and that also was the best thing that ever happened to me.........Now I'm married to a women who is 16 years younger than me and rides.......whats better than that!:ride:

Hahahahahaha...........my ex had the same accident..........and that also was the best thing that ever happened to me.........Now I'm married to a women who is 16 years younger than me and rides.......whats better than that!:ride:

Having a girlfriend that looks 16 years younger than me and rides, like mine!

Never getting "legal" again!

IMG_1196.jpg