Sign in to follow this  

08 up split oil

i was just curious if anybody here has performed a fix for the split engine/trans oil by opening up passages between the eng/trans so that they are like the rfs motor? a race mech i know said some racers are doing this conversion to add more oil quantity.

anyone do this? how hard is it? does it help? do you HAVE to split the cases to do it or can you do it by just removing the outter cases?

dave h...travis....any other geniuses?

There is some talk of this modification on KTMTalk however no information yet on exactly how it’s done. It was mentioned that the cases do have to be split and then some passages have to be drilled and opened up with a rotary grinder. One issue mentioned is that the oil level for the motor side is different than the level on the transmission side with the stock twin configuration (transmission level is higher). What this means is that once the motor is changed to one sump a decision has to be made on the oil level, do you run the motor oil level high to meet the transmission level requirement or do you run the transmission level low to accommodate the correct motor oil level. One motor builder’s opinion was to set the motor oil level correctly which leaves the transmission side lower than factory levels with the potential side effect being shorter clutch life. The result of this modification was less total oil overall than the factory twin oil set up however it’s all in one sump so each side draws from larger pool. It was also mentioned that the oil filtration configuration (one oil filter) on the XC4 motors wouldn’t be sufficient to filter the one sump system due to the extra oil contamination load from the clutch and transmission.

After reading the opinions my take on the situation was the modification was not worth it for most users. Another member on KTMTalk has one of David Knight’s ex race bike that has been modified to one sump and he’s waiting until it needs rebuilt before he opens it up to take a look.

that was the kind of info i was looking for, thanx. im thinking that a better fix for the small amount of oil in the engine which is what im concerned about might be the htr external oil cooler which almost doubles the quantity and adds cooling. i just wish it was more like the one that fits the rfs motor. that one looks very cool and stout as it is an entire side case cover. the xc4 model just fits over the filter cap and looks kinda fragile.

i emailed htr to ask if they were gonna improve the design to a full side cover and they never replied...oh well

I wish someone would come out with a tank like the Baja Design tank for the CRF450...small, fit's between frame rails up front (behind skid plate),....i have one of those and it's perfect....

I wish someone would come out with a tank like the Baja Design tank for the CRF450...small, fit's between frame rails up front (behind skid plate),....i have one of those and it's perfect....

thats what i started looking for, a cooler like harleys use or something. a cap that goes over the filter with hoses and a remote cooler to add volumn and cooling but cant find one

thats what i started looking for, a cooler like harleys use or something. a cap that goes over the filter with hoses and a remote cooler to add volumn and cooling but cant find one

You mean one of these?

http://blaisracingservices.com/KTM/KTM-4-Stroke-Parts/KTM-Motor/Drive-Line/01-07-KTM-400/450/525-EXC/MXC/XC-OIL-COOLER/prod_233.html

that is what i want....but that is for the rfs motor. the one they make for my bike is weak looking. if they made a full sidecase style one for the xc4 motor i have i would have installed it months ago...

this is the one that fits my bike

http://blaisracingservices.com/ktm/ktm-4-stroke-parts/ktm-motor/drive-line/ktm-400/450/530-oil-cooler-kit-by-ht-racing/prod_676.html

i dont like it, i may still end up with it anyway tho because nobody makes what i want:banghead:

that is what i want....but that is for the rfs motor. the one they make for my bike is weak looking. if they made a full sidecase style one for the xc4 motor i have i would have installed it months ago...

this is the one that fits my bike

http://blaisracingservices.com/ktm/ktm-4-stroke-parts/ktm-motor/drive-line/ktm-400/450/530-oil-cooler-kit-by-ht-racing/prod_676.html

i dont like it, i may still end up with it anyway tho because nobody makes what i want:banghead:

I agree! Too week, fragile looking...

Like I said I got Blais racing to perform the mod on my engine (single oil, split cases, put nitride rings in at sametime, etc) and I love it! No issues with it and about 2000 miles on it since and 80 hours! Including the 2009 Baja 1000! This thing just keeps truckin on like my XR 650's did!

:ride:

Just the sight glass is useless now, since if it gets down that low you are officially 1/2 a quart down on oil! (since tranny side is higher) But that never happens (oil loss) anyhow so no worries. I bet someone will figure it out and post a how-to eventually. I still would like to see it sometime and when I finally break down to put a 570 kit in (via Travis), we will have a look-see!

:ride:

Until then, why doesn't someone like PWR radiators make something like they have for the Honda 450x with the oil-cooler built into the bottom of the left side radiator? Heck I'd prolly add that to the mix also! Would be nice if the set had the otherside radiator eliminate the thermostat circuit also!

:D

Anyone listening out there!!? (Lazy) Potential customers here...

:lol:

Edited by NewMexican
What year is it anyhoe?

NM sounds like you and i are on the same wave length. here is couple more ideas for you...how about a new left case cover with a higher sight glass to see the new oil level???? or htr machine a oil cooler like the rfs that is the whole side case.

NM how do you fill you oil now to the correct level? is it by using the trans fill level bolt hole? that scares me a bit for the oil to be that high on the crank side because of foaming from the crank slosh....but if you say it works good, im considering it.

thanks for your input brother!

hey NM if you get a second read my thread on the catch can and tell me what you think please, i keep hoping travis or hopkins will chime in but so far no one has. thanx

Edited by kellymac530
needed to add