Sign in to follow this  

bar risers?

hi, i'm a little over 6,1 and the bars on my 97 XR250R feel a bit low when i stand up, are most people this tall using bar risers or a high bend bar?

ok well, i have about 13 dollars to my name right now but i'm applying for a few jobs this weekend so once i have some money ii'll probably put some 1" bar risers on, i don't think i want to pay for new bars. i run my bike on a very tight budget :ride:

If your on a budget make your own bar risers!

I machined mine up from aluminium

hbarspacer.jpg

Get a suitably size chunk of ALU

Drill/machine a 7/8" hole in it,

Drill 8mm clearance holes to acomodate bar clamp bolts

cut in half

get longer bar clamp bolts

Alternatively, i think some guys just get another set of bar clamps, file the tops flat, flip em over and fit them instead- seems an easy fix:banana:

I got you all beat! I'm 6'5" 220 lbs. I've got some ape hanger TAG Metal bars and I put another inch of riser under them! Plus, the addition of the high seat from the A-Loop package, and I'm pretty comfortable!

OH! And I'd like to make a public acknowledgement of the fact that Trailryder42 rocks! He talked me thru the shim stack mod on my forks yesterday with new Eibach boingers, and I made the tool required to do so per his specs...worked flawlessly! That guy has some knowledge, and is gracious when you need it!:ride:

Thanks!:ride:

:lol: All!

• Like 1

another option when you have your bar risers fitted is to make up some reach extendors

I used a bit of stainless square bar

3 holes in line 32mm apart (from memory)

2 holes 8mm in diameter, the far hole drilled and tapped to M8

You need 6 bar clamp bolts, 2 short, 2 medium and 2 long

then fit em like this

bike3.jpg

with the far bolts (those obscured by the handlebar pad) screwing into your tapped M8 holes

I realise that is a pretty piss poor explaination, hopefully you can figure it out

^ thats clever but i'm not sure its neccisary to move my handles foreward, do you like them an inch or so foreward?

yes feels much better with them furthur forward.

I am also about 6' 1"

I jumped on my mates xr4 the other day, he has no bar risers and it felt horrible, i literaly was scared to go over 10 mph lol

With the bars higher and furthur forward i dont hang off the back off the bike so much, it has saved my forearms no end and i have much better control of my forward/backward movement on the bike

With these I find it easier to control body position when accelerating and braking, as im using more back and chest muscles rather than just pure shoulders.

Picture how easy it is to do a push up when your hands are in line with your chest, then try to do a push up with your hands down by your stomach

Just my 2 pence tho, you might not get on with them

I would plug the TT parts store but they don't seem to have a riser kit for 7/8" bars. However, RMATVMC has a Tusk 7/8" handlebar riser kit for $20. I have them and they are great. Check it out:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=70&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&keyword=7%2F8+BAR+RISERS&prodFamilyId=25849

If your on a budget make your own bar risers!

I machined mine up from aluminium

taggkent, while that is very creative, the first real crash you have will likely shear off the clamp bolts because the blocks don't extend into the lower bar trough to keep them from sliding under force. Not trying to rain on your parade, I just hate to see anyone stuck out in nowhere due to broken parts -- and trying to keep people safe wherever possible. :ride:

hmmm, i do feel like i'm haning off the back of the bike sometimes, Taggkent did you use aftermarket bar risers as well as the reach extenders?its hard to tell from the picture.

these are about 1.5" up and 1.5" forward. they are great. I also got set of cr high pro taper. they are a amazing addition to the xr400 especially because they move the bars forward as well as up. They really open up the stance of the rider on the bike. What ever risers you get, you should get some that move the bars forward.

barrisers.jpg

http://www.barrisersonline.com/

Edited by Alex 400

taggkent, while that is very creative, the first real crash you have will likely shear off the clamp bolts because the blocks don't extend into the lower bar trough to keep them from sliding under force. Not trying to rain on your parade, I just hate to see anyone stuck out in nowhere due to broken parts -- and trying to keep people safe wherever possible. :ride:

lol i hope not.

hmmm, i do feel like i'm haning off the back of the bike sometimes, Taggkent did you use aftermarket bar risers as well as the reach extenders?its hard to tell from the picture.

Yea, well they are homemade ones.