Sign in to follow this  

Way too much power for the kid

First of all, I'd like to extend my most heartfelt salutations to the members and moderators. This is a great resource/community.(ok 'nuff kissin up)

I bought a DR350 figuring that it would be easier to choke off some horsepower than it would be to invest in a smaller bike and build it up. He's plenty big enough to handle the weight (he outgrew my shoes at 14), I just don't trust his judgement with all that horsepower.

What are some ways this can be done with a future restoration back to stock in mind. I was thinking under carburetion but that would require rejetting, wouldn't it? Any other ideas?

thnx n happy trails

Throttle stop is probably the easiest way if you can do it cleanly. You could also come up with a restrictor plate, but that'll have some consequences beyond just a reduction of power which could be difficult to sort.

So he's over 14, and it's only a DR350 - just let him get on with it. No teenage lad is going to want to ride around with a throttle stop keeping it from opening fully, and it's a gentle bike anyway. Don't worry about it.

don't worry, when i was 14 i rode a 1994 Cr-500. Not that i could handle it but i could ride it!

So the advice is too restrict the kid, not the bike. You could put some really tall sprockets on it and reduce the top speed.

I really appreciate the input. I'll consider just turning him loose on it, but I gotta be honest, with myself just getting back into riding again after a 10 yr hiatus, he's never even been around it to see how to behave with a bike (at least not that he can remember). I think the throttle stop has merit and I'm fairly certain that I can fab one up easy. I really like changing the gearing. We'll see how it goes. I guess a broken bone never killed anyone and chicks dig scars right? :ride:

thnx n happy trails!

I guess a broken bone never killed anyone...

Errr.... not to put the Fear into you or anything but I promise that statement ain't true. Femoral artery bleed out?

RW,

cut a short piece of plastic tubing and put it over the end of the throttle cable before you put the cable back into the carb slide. Slide can't go all the way up, no brackets to fab, easy to adjust or remove.

RW,

cut a short piece of plastic tubing and put it over the end of the throttle cable before you put the cable back into the carb slide. Slide can't go all the way up, no brackets to fab, easy to adjust or remove.

I did just that to my sons CR 80, but i took a thin alloyplate and cut it to about 12mm and put it on top of the throttle. Worked perfect!

OK... everyone is differnt... but since it's a dirt bike... let him learn respect for the bike. Make sure he has good riding gear on... and let him crash. It's a dangerous sport, and you WILL go down eventually. Beside... a DR350 isn't that hot of a bike. I think they make about 25 HP.

at 14 I had been riding for 6 years already, and I was running a PE400 (2 stroke) in open desert enduro's.

I've been down countless times in the dirt. (and a few times on the street) I've broken helmets, frames, sub-frames, forks and miscellaneous body parts. All I can say is... it's going to happen.