katana wheel on DR650

I recently picked up a set of wheels from a 1990 Katana 600. Trying to figure out a way to throw the front wheel on first. I'll play with the rear later. From all the reading I had done, the Katana wheel was about as easy as it can be. However, I've barely started and I've already hit a snag...

The DR axle won't fit through the centre hole of the Katana wheel's bearings. Does anyone know of an easy solution? Or am I looking at getting some custom bearings, or having to machine some bearings to fit? Surely there's an easier way.

Any help is appreciated.

You need to swap out the wheel bearings with another size. I think the stock bearings in the Katana are 15X42X13. This means that the inner diameter of the bearing is 15mm the outer diameter is 42mm and the width is 13mm.

The DR650 has a 17mm axle, so you need to swap in a 17X42X13 bearing.

It looks like 17x42x13 is NOT a common bearing size, correct me if I'm wrong. So yes, a little custom work is needed. One solution is have a sleeve made to fit around the axle/inside bearing. That will make the axle/bearing inner diameter 20mm, then you can fit a 20x42x12 bearing in there.

I hope I'm correct with all this. When I did my wheel...all I needed to do was swap bearings and I was good to go.

Edited by jmc1583
I recently picked up a set of wheels from a 1990 Katana 600. Trying to figure out a way to throw the front wheel on first. I'll play with the rear later. From all the reading I had done, the Katana wheel was about as easy as it can be. However, I've barely started and I've already hit a snag...

The DR axle won't fit through the centre hole of the Katana wheel's bearings. Does anyone know of an easy solution? Or am I looking at getting some custom bearings, or having to machine some bearings to fit? Surely there's an easier way.

Any help is appreciated.

Don't know if you found a solution, but if you order the OEM 1987 GSX-R 750H front wheel bearings, they will work. The '87 GSXR 750's used a 17mm front axle, (vs. the '86 which had a 15mm axle)

You need to swap out the wheel bearings with another size. I think the stock bearings in the Katana are 15X42X13. This means that the inner diameter of the bearing is 15mm the outer diameter is 42mm and the width is 13mm.

The DR650 has a 17mm axle, so you need to swap in a 17X42X13 bearing.

It looks like 17x42x13 is NOT a common bearing size, correct me if I'm wrong. So yes, a little custom work is needed. One solution is have a sleeve made to fit around the axle/inside bearing. That will make the axle/bearing inner diameter 20mm, then you can fit a 20x42x12 bearing in there.

I hope I'm correct with all this. When I did my wheel...all I needed to do was swap bearings and I was good to go.

Thats almost what i did...except the sleeve was a 17mm for the inside of the 20mm bearing.