Sign in to follow this  

TRX450 piston in a CRF450X?

Has anybody tried a long skirt, 3 ring TRX450 piston in a CRF450X? I'm sure it would lose some power, but it should last a lot longer. Any ideas? Thanks

I E-mailed Rod Lay who rote the article about his results from the TRX valves and piston, he said they didn`t notice any power loss and over 250 hrs on a safari bike rode by Glenn Hoffman, sound pretty good to me.

• Like 1

I E-mailed Rod Lay who rote the article about his results from the TRX valves and piston, he said they didn`t notice any power loss and over 250 hrs on a safari bike rode by Glenn Hoffman, sound pretty good to me.

Got my parts in the other day. Quick side by side pic of the TRX on left and CRF on right. Compression heights are the same; CRF is leaning a lil to the left in the pic.

IMG_4664.JPG

How did the TRX piston work out for you, Elan666?

Dan

So far so good *knock on wood*. I have about 700 miles on the setup which included new steel TRX intake valves from AS Racing. My oil consumption has gone WAY down - it's barely noticeable now, whereas before it was really bad.

I don't think my previously high consumption with the stock 2 ring piston is typical, but I have read other similar stories as well. I didn't buy the bike new, so I don't know if it was broken in correctly. I'm very happy so far though! Oil stays much cleaner longer too.

thats really cool idea, did you weigh them on a scale? When you said long skirt i was pictureing something much longer- that TRX pistion looks like the perfect setup for us who want to dual sport our crf's

thats really cool idea, did you weigh them on a scale? When you said long skirt i was pictureing something much longer- that TRX pistion looks like the perfect setup for us who want to dual sport our crf's

Did not weigh them. I wish I would have, but didn't really have one near by. Should have taken them to the post office :thumbsup:

I installed the TRX piston when I went to SS intakes at 3700 miles.

I liked the idea of the extra ring for longevity. I am a trail rider and do not race the bike.

I did not notice any power loss and I no longer add any oil between changes.

I have about 1700 miles on the piston with no issues.

What is the part number of the piston and ring set? I may go to this next time.

Thanks

What is the part number of the piston and ring set? I may go to this next time.

Thanks

I ordered it from Honda of Toledo and they had a pretty good special going on, don't think the prices are the same though:

Order:

Qty. Part Number Product Name Unit Price Line Total

---- ----------- ------------ ---------- ----------

1 13101-HP1-600 2006 - 2009 TRX450R Piston Kit $57.06 $57.06 (piston)

1 13011-HP1-306 2006 - 2009 TRX450R Piston Kit $22.62 $22.62 (rings I think)

1 13111-MEN-730 2006 - 2009 TRX450R Piston Kit $11.83 $11.83 (pin I think)

2 13112-MAT-000 2006 - 2009 TRX450R Piston Kit $0.82 $1.64 (circlip I think)

1 06113-MEY-670 Honda - GASKET SHEET KIT A $38.99 $38.99

Excellent! Thank you. I should have mentioned mine is an '07. I assume it will fit fine.

Dan

Does anyone know if the trx pistons change between years?

What performance loss can be expected?

I think when I do it I will go with the TRX piston. I like the idea of having 3 rings, looks like it is a few mm taller also.

Edited by CRF450XNUT
because

I just put the TRX piston and SS inlets in my CRF450x and I can't notice any performance loss.

It's likely that if you are changing the piston and valves then your old stuff is quite tired anyway so you should actually feel a real performance increase on your current condition.

Too early to judge oil consumption and valve life improvements, but you shouldn't be put off by perceived performance loss.

I just put the TRX piston and SS inlets in my CRF450x and I can't notice any performance loss.

It's likely that if you are changing the piston and valves then your old stuff is quite tired anyway so you should actually feel a real performance increase on your current condition.

Too early to judge oil consumption and valve life improvements, but you shouldn't be put off by perceived performance loss.

That was my perception too. I've had my new head (trx valves) and trx piston in since April. I commute on the bike Monday - Friday (street only), about 16 - 20 miles round trip. I try to change my oil (conventional Shell Rotella) every two weeks. My levels barely drop in two weeks, but if I get lazy and extended it a few days, I can notice a slight reduction in oil; usually requiring about 1/8-1/4 cup to bring it back up to level. I don't beat on it or bounce it off the rev limiter, but I do run it hard every now and then.

Overall, I'm very pleased and will do it again when needed - not sure when that will be. I *think* I have around 2k miles now. All my power is there exactly where it was after break in.

I have 12.8 hours (hourmeter) on my '08 with a TRX piston - just as fast - zero oil consumption.

Looks like a winner to me!

El Mur.