Sign in to follow this  

Drz was killed

So on this past thanksgiving morning i was doing a street ride alongside my dad and was rear ended by a lady going about 50mph. Luckily i sustained very few injuries with nothing worse than a banged up knee, some whiplash, and a few chipped teeth. My HJC full face saved me and my Geirke mesh jacket saved my skin. Anyway the DRZ was considered totaled and i could have bought it back but decided i did not want to repair the bike. So i was given 5500 bucks for the bike and gear and now own a KDX220 which i took out for the first time last week. This thing runs great and is my first two stroke ever besides a little 50cc scooter i owned when i was 15. I got the kdx for 1400 bucks and is pretty good shape. it has the FMF gnarly pipe and everything else seems stock. The kdx has great power and with its lighter weight really is fun on the trails. I do miss the drz dearly but the change has not left me wanting too terribly. the drz held up great and did not really sustain to much damage other than the swing arm and rear end being destroyed and all the miscellaneous scratches and dents everywhere. i will keep checking the drz forums because alot of the info translates well into other dirtbike models and its just fun to read the cool stuff you guys do to the drz. Well here is a couple pics of the dead drz and the new kdx. :ride:

cimg0129z.th.jpg

cimg0122.th.jpg

cimg0129z.th.jpg

0205101329.th.jpg

0205101330.th.jpg

Wow, I'm glad you weren't terribly hurt! Sad to see the Z looking like that. The KDX looks great! They are a fun woods weapon. Are you considering another SM?

glad you were'nt hurt, sweet kdx, exactly the bike i wanted for offroad. What yr? i was so close for an '05.

the new bike a 2002 which is perfect because it is the last year of a green sticker in california which allows me to ride all year. at this moment i would love to have another dualsport/motard but i may stay away for awhile for my famly and friends. the whole accident thing was much worse for them that me. im sure i will want one soon though because everytime it is a nice day i feel like riding the backroads. yeah she hit me at just about the full 55mph limit because she said she thought we were still moving and very last second realized that i was stopped with my feet on the ground. she had just finished a graveyard shift at a 24 diner.

Don't give in to other peoples fears if motard riding on the street makes you happy :ride:

+1 :ride:

the same thing can happen to you in your truck, you just never know when somebody isn't paying attention

When I took my motorcycle safety driving course the instructor repeated over and over the importance of assumming that no one sees you, that no one will stop, that no one will give you your lane. I don't know how many times in the last 35 years of driving bikes in cities and highways and roads all over Canada that this mentality has saved my life. :ride: I have given up riding at least once because of 5 close calls in one week. First week with the yellow Z I had two people pull right out in front of me. :lol: Then I remembered to apply the flashing high lights when approaching traffic. I also use my rear brake light the same way. Flashinng it on and off and on and off as I am using my gears to slow down. Wherever traffic is, front, sides or behind, believe that they won't stop, wont see you and don't care. :ride: Sure has helped me make it this far.

Ride safe everyone!

the bug

I've thought about installing head light and tail light flashers. I believe for motorcycles, they are legal. I've seen a few bikes with them, it makes them really stand out. Even new corporate jets have flashing landing lights.

Steve

Glad you're still with us! Bikes can be replaced. If the lady was really going 50mph when she hit you, play the lottery. It's not only a miracle you're still alive, but that you sustained such little injury. I run the paint department in a very busy body shop. We also do towing for the state police. In this line of work, I see wrecks being dragged in all day long. I'm here to tell ya, I have seen bikes that have been rear ended by cars going WAY slower than 50mph where the rider was killed on impact and the bike was turned into a pretzel.

I also have a 04 KDX200, fun bike!

I recommend a JD jetting kit for it, best mod I've done. Works well with the FMF pipe.

You'll find a many KDX fans on-line as the DRZ's. Like the DRZ, the KDX has been around for a long time, and there are countless mods and parts for them.

Check out the Kawasaki two-stroke forum on here if you haven't already. A lot of people recommend replacing the stock cast piston on the 220's to prevent premature failure if it hasn't been replaced already. Lots of info over there on the subject if you search. KDX's are great bikes and just as bullet-proof as the DRZ from what I've seen.

Glad you're still with us! Bikes can be replaced. If the lady was really going 50mph when she hit you, play the lottery. It's not only a miracle you're still alive, but that you sustained such little injury. I run the paint department in a very busy body shop. We also do towing for the state police. In this line of work, I see wrecks being dragged in all day long. I'm here to tell ya, I have seen bikes that have been rear ended by cars going WAY slower than 50mph where the rider was killed on impact and the bike was turned into a pretzel.

I know how lucky i was. the responders at the scene could not believe i was basically free of any major injury. the fire captain arrived first and when radioing my status he even said " i cant believe i'm saying this but the motorcyclists appears to be fine!" Not too bad considering my ass went thru the windsheild, my head smashed in her roof and then was launched about 20ft and landed head first then rolled to a stop. was pretty intense. my head felt like it was going to explode when i hit the ground. luck or angels ,i'm not sure which, was definitely on site that day.

i will for sure rejet the bike as soon as i can and will look into the wiseco piston. i keep reading about how that is an issue on the 220's. is there some way to tell if it has been done already? i'm loving the two stroke. it's my first one and have always been kinda scared of them for some reason. i think it's from all the people telling me to look out for the "hit" of the torque curve but this bike is just right. i love it.

The FireFly headlight flasher is what I used decades ago. Congrats on the survival.

My friend got rear ended on his streetbike, which was no good, but luckily he was ok as well. Glad to hear your alright.

man, glad youre ok. I cant help but wonder if the high stance of the drz helped you out. I dont get what you mean by went through the windshield, did you go through windshield of the car in front or behind? either way sounds gnarly.

man, glad youre ok. I cant help but wonder if the high stance of the drz helped you out. I dont get what you mean by went through the windshield, did you go through windshield of the car in front or behind? either way sounds gnarly.

Yeah the height of the drz really helped. The rear wheel took the biggest hit for sure. basically the bike was taken out from under me and my ass went thru the windshield of the car that hit me, then was thrown forward as her car came to a screeching halt.