Sign in to follow this  

Using electrolysis to remove rust in gas tank??

A guy that I am helping fix is RT100 motor says he has used electrolysis to remove rust in a gas tank?? Anyone ever heard of this?? Says he uses a car battery charger, some Arm and Hammer detergent/water mix in the tank and some metal rod inserted through the gas cap. Process takes a couple days but he says the inside of the tank will be like shiny new when finished?? He is going to do this to my 73 MT250 tank. So we shall see????

I used the over night vinegar soak followed by bb's in the tank shake with good amount of wd40. So far so good.

A guy that I am helping fix is RT100 motor says he has used electrolysis to remove rust in a gas tank?? Anyone ever heard of this?? Says he uses a car battery charger, some Arm and Hammer detergent/water mix in the tank and some metal rod inserted through the gas cap. Process takes a couple days but he says the inside of the tank will be like shiny new when finished?? He is going to do this to my 73 MT250 tank. So we shall see????

Iv'e tried it on other things,it works ok and takes a long time.Iv'e had the best luck with one small bottle of navel jelly some water and hand full of rocks,seal it up,wrap it up in a old bed sheet,put it in a box,stick that in a dryer on cool,let it tumble for a couple hours.Then hose it out.This even worked for that old Hodaka tank that had about 2 pounds of rust in it.When that one was done you could see light through it:banghead:

I'm definitely going to try this some time. I wish that article had some before/after photos.

I saw some before and after pics on a site somewhere and it was amazing!!! Very rusty at start and zero rust when finished, but a black color no shiny metal. I was surprised for sure!!

I've done this on some gun parts and they are good as new to it should work fine on all steel parts.