Sign in to follow this  

Engines Health

Got some time today so for giggles I am gonna do a compression test on my motor but my questions is what is a good compression for the dr motor within factory specifications? My motor starts right up and does not burn oil but I got the farkle bug today. Tried the search area but could not find anything on this topic.

How many miles on it now? There are a ton of other fun farkle mods to do before a random comp. check! Have you done any carb work? Cheap and very worth the effort.

Got some time today so for giggles I am gonna do a compression test on my motor but my questions is what is a good compression for the dr motor within factory specifications? My motor starts right up and does not burn oil but I got the farkle bug today. Tried the search area but could not find anything on this topic.

You haven't mentioned what DR you speak of. Any Dr with auto-decomp (like the 96-2010 DR650) is kinda futile to run a comp test on since there is no way to disable the device short of taking the cam cover off and wedging the fly weights on the cam outward. :ride:

It is a 2006 with over 13k miles on it. Does not burn oil and starts every time. I all did the test and was wondering what factory specs for this test are? I left the motor bone stock for reliabliltiy reasons and put my money into suspension work where it really counts.

It is a 2006 with over 13k miles on it. Does not burn oil and starts every time. I all did the test and was wondering what factory specs for this test are? I left the motor bone stock for reliabliltiy reasons and put my money into suspension work where it really counts.

120 PSI :ride: Suzuki says to check the cylinder head bolt torque and valve clearances before doing the pressure test which makes total sense because a valve out of adjustment can make a bigger cranking pressure difference with the auto-decomp unit due to the valve(s) being held open for longer during the compression stroke.

120 PSI :ride: Suzuki says to check the cylinder head bolt torque and valve clearances before doing the pressure test which makes total sense because a valve out of adjustment can make a bigger cranking pressure difference with the auto-decomp unit due to the valve(s) being held open for longer during the compression stroke.

I did check all that before I did the test and came in at 128psi. Thanks for the information and my bike has many more miles left on it. :ride:

I did check all that before I did the test and came in at 128psi. Thanks for the information and my bike has many more miles left on it. :ride:

128 PSI? Oh no! Carbon build up. :lol: Better run the sh*t out of it for awhile and knock off some of it. :ride::D