Looking at a 2005 CRF450R

I'm working on getting back into riding after 10 years off. (Life) Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 05 CRF450R. I talked to the guy on the phone. He said he was the second owner. He bought the bike for his kid that is only a buck 30 and just moving up from the 80cc class. Can we say way to much for him. Anyways anything to say about an 05? From the sounds of it the motor is completely stock. I dont really plan on being competitive anymore just going out to ride trails and have a little fun at the track a few times a month.

Still have my '05- Great Bike. Has a harder hit than the newer bikes. As long as the price is right - get it.

The 05 is very good but just like you said way too much. If your just looking to have fun get a crf250. I went from a 450 to a 250 and have no problems. The only reason i have a 450 now is because I gave my son my 250 and I got the 450 dirt cheap. But funny thing I almost never ride the 450 I share the 250 with my son. But really get the 250 will will have way more fun and it will be safer.

05 is a solid bike. 1st year of the 2nd generation frame so it much more like the 06 than an 04. Good handling and reliable.

If you don't mind me asking, how much?

Edit. ps. Do a search and you will find ton's of info and opinions on the 05.

I loved my '05 it was a good solid bike. the only complaint I had was front tire push in entry of turns with no rut other than that, awesome bike.

Thanks for all the replies. The seller is asking 2500obo right now. I've thought about the 250 but when I was younger I had a KX125. It felt like I was way to big for it, moved up to a CR250 and loved it. I know the 250 4-stroke is another beast but I'm worried about being a little big for it. I'm 6ft, 200lbs. I was really thinking about the CRF450X but they are a little out of my price range right now and there's only one for sale around here that seems to have a issue with 4th gear. Everything I've read about the 450X is that tranny issues are a common thing. Any one know if it's the same with the 250X? Thanks for all the feedback.

I am 5'9" and weigh 215 without gear and can do all the same jumps on the 250 that I can do with the 450. The only thing you need to set up. It will make you a better rider and believe me you will love it. If you get the 450 have FUN. That is the key word. Remember your not competing with anyone.Good luck.

can't go wrong with '05 450r. great bike! still have mine, im 6'4" 280. this year honda is as strong as an OX! get it!

Well I bought it. I first looked at a 04 450R today and wasn't to impressed with the seller. The bike wasn't really cleaned up, the forks where leaking, motor clicking like valves needed adjustment, chain wasn't lubed, and I pulled the seat off to look at the air filter to find it filthy. I asked him when the last time he had cleaned it was and his answer was, never have. Had the bike for a year and rode it once. He was asking 2350 for it. I offered him 2k for it and he said no. Best thing I did was walk away.

I then looked at the 05 450R that I orginally was going to look at and found it to be a pretty good bike. I'm the 3rd owner. The bike is really clean and powerful. Engine sounded good. The only thing that was toast was the chain and sprockets. They still have the stock sprockets on them. I'm hoping that the chain was reaplaced somewhere in there. Anyway the only thing I saw was the chain and sprockets were toast. I can't wait to get it on the trails.

Well I bought it. I first looked at a 04 450R today and wasn't to impressed with the seller. The bike wasn't really cleaned up, the forks where leaking, motor clicking like valves needed adjustment, chain wasn't lubed, and I pulled the seat off to look at the air filter to find it filthy. I asked him when the last time he had cleaned it was and his answer was, never have. Had the bike for a year and rode it once. He was asking 2350 for it. I offered him 2k for it and he said no. Best thing I did was walk away.

I then looked at the 05 450R that I orginally was going to look at and found it to be a pretty good bike. I'm the 3rd owner. The bike is really clean and powerful. Engine sounded good. The only thing that was toast was the chain and sprockets. They still have the stock sprockets on them. I'm hoping that the chain was reaplaced somewhere in there. Anyway the only thing I saw was the chain and sprockets were toast. I can't wait to get it on the trails.

congrats man!

I liked my 05, it was a good bike. Tons of power, needed a heavier flywheel and maybe lower gearing to help with the stalling every time you hit the rear brake. Does not turn well, wanted to stand up in turns, I could not trust the front end, even after switching to a 756. Keep an eye on the valves, frequent oil changes. The air filter is a pain to reinstall.

If you put an O ring chain on you will need a crankshaft sprocket spacer.

Sold it to go back to a 2T (YZ250). Now back on a YZ450F 4T, its allot different than my CRF was.

Enjoy the bike!

I love my 05'. As stated above, it was the 1st year of the new frames. 05' and up were good bikes.