Looking at used yz250s

Hi,

I'm looking at used yz250s (I definitely want a 2 stroke). I am a former expert road racer with WERA and CCS so I am not new to bikes. I would be using the bike for some trail riding and light fmx stuff. Are there any major differences between the earlier yz250s (2000-2005 etc) and the later ones?

What can I expect to pay for a 2003 or so yz250?

Thank you

M.Rich

Shrub will be here shortly....

I think the better motors were from 01 and up. The aluminum frame started in 05. the difference in 05 and 06 was better forks on the 06. No major changes since 06.

Never had one myself, but I have looked into them and think thats the gist of it. :ride:

I see a couple on fleabay within 250miles of DC proper for $3000 to $3500 (with the higher end one equipped with several extras like ASV Levers and stuff like that)

Shrub will be here shortly....

Ha ha.

1999-2010 motors are mostly the same. 03-10 motors got a different crank and need a different flywheel. 02-10 share same plastics and silencer. 06 got a new pipe. 07 got a new needle N3EW. 08 was a pound lighter than 07. As said, 05 was the aluminum frame and AOSS forks but 06 came the AOSS and SSS forks. Pretty much 06+ the differences were BNG. I've had a 03 04 and 07 and liked them all.

That all said, don't turn your nose up at a clean RM. The KX motor just isn't real good on the low end. The CR motor can be tuned but the late model RM and YZ motors are great woods bikes. The RMs are said to turn the best but my YZ turns fine to me.

03 is about 1700-2100

04 is 1800-2300

05 is 2000-2500

06 is 2000-2750

07 is 2500-3500

08 is 3500-4250

09 is 4500-5500

10 is brand new and spendy

These are Seattle prices so YMMV.

What their trying to say is the 06 and newer are the better bikes...

you guys are awesome. Thanks for the fast replies and info :ride:

Definately go with the 06 and latwer if you can, mostly for the superior front forks.

But a clean 04 and up RM is a great bike will turn like no other and has a great motor

Get the '06+ yz. Like shrub said an 06 is basically a 2010. I bought my 06 for $2300, and it was pretty clean. I think that it would be pretty easy to pick one up for under 3K. An '06 is going to need rear shock work, yammi missed the mark on its valving, but its a pretty easy fix.

Get the '06+ yz. Like shrub said an 06 is basically a 2010. I bought my 06 for $2300, and it was pretty clean. I think that it would be pretty easy to pick one up for under 3K. An '06 is going to need rear shock work, yammi missed the mark on its valving, but its a pretty easy fix.

Thanks. Does the rear shock just come with too soft a spring? Or does it need to be revalved?

Thanks. Does the rear shock just come with too soft a spring? Or does it need to be revalved?

Depends on use and your weight.

Basically the shock doesn't have enough rebound dampening in the stack. You can't fix it with the clickers because as you firm up the rebound you are also messing with the comp. The real fix is with a re valve. Its not horrible, and very ridable stock, but there is room for improvement.

What their trying to say is the 06 and newer are the better bikes...

Not necessarily. Its hard to tell them apart.

I just retired an 01 yz250 that I absolutely loved. Nice, light, flickable,etc... I blew it up (my fault) and decided to part it out and put the money towards an 05. I paid $1600 for the 05. It needed a new top end which cost me about $120 and about three hours of my time. It also needed new clutch plates $100, sidestand $70 and grips $30. I'm about $1920 into it.

I parted out the old bike for $1300 over a two month period.

My 01 with the suspension fully setup felt about the same as the 05, which has also had some work done. If I were a faster rider, I'd notice a difference. I only ride offroad and no tracks though. The older forks can be dialed in perfectly if you know a suspension tuner.

The engines feel the same to me. Pipes and jetting make the difference on these. The aluminum frame feels lighter, but only a little. If I blindfolded you and put you on both my 01 and my 05, you could hardly tell the difference.

I think you'll spend more money in accessories and setup than you will on the bike. I would get an 04 and up because it has the 48mm forks as opposed to the 46mm forks. So in a few years when you decide to replace the bike with another yz, you can move all your stuff over.

Well I picked up an '04 yz250. 14 hrs, pipe, nice levers, stand and spare tire for $1800. I think I got a good deal?

Thanks again to everyone

great deal!!!

Well I picked up an '04 yz250. 14 hrs, pipe, nice levers, stand and spare tire for $1800. I think I got a good deal?

Thanks again to everyone

post pics! sounds like a deal to me!