Sign in to follow this  

Should I stay away from Athena big bore in used bike?

I'm going to try and go look at a used DRZ, with 2000 miles on it and it has a Athena big bore kit installed, same price as comparable stock DRZ's , is there any reason to stay away from a bike with this kit? any problems with them , especially reliability and longevity?

I know of no particular issues with the Athena kit. I would treat it the same as OEM parts. I would question the labor of the install but with 2000 miles there shouldn't be any install issues either. I'd ask a few more questions than a stock bike, but I wouldn't shy away just because of the big bore.

No reason to stay away. Treat the bike as if it didnt even have one and do the typical used bike inspections. Something I would pay attention to although may not be a deal breaker..Take a look at the head gasket for a copper color indicating the builder had some knowledge of the job. Copper coat sealant is recommended on the head gasket from the guys who are "in the know". Also, the head torque is up to 42 ft lbs from 33. Ask the owner if he is aware of this.

I have torqued a few to 33 without issue (with copper spray) before knowing of changes.. Again, not a deal breaker for me but at least you may get some comfort knowing the owner has done his homework..

Make sure the cylinder is stamped "Athena" on the side. If it isn't stamped its not an Athena. Lots of people say they have a big bore kit or think they do because they were told by someone else. Athena is a quality kit so should be no problems as long as it was installed properly. Good luck.

Does the Athena Installation Instructions mention the 42ft/lbs head torque?

I don't remember what we did with mine...

I used Hylomar from memory on my head gasket...

The only place I would consider using Hylomar is between machined cases and only if I had no other choice. Its great stuff though..Used on turbine gearboxes but no real application for it on a Z.

The upgraded torque isnt Athena specific and has been discussed before. The copper spray isnt mandatory but it is cheap insurance.

The only place I would consider using Hylomar is between machined cases and only if I had no other choice. Its great stuff though..Used on turbine gearboxes but no real application for it on a Z.

The upgraded torque isnt Athena specific and has been discussed before. The copper spray isnt mandatory but it is cheap insurance.

Hylomar, wow that brings back memories of when I used to work on P&W PT6's