yz426 any experience?

I am really interested in these bikes(02). I am not going to buy one any time soon, but what are the pros and cons. I know they haven't got the power of the 450f, but what is the reliability like?:ride:

i had a yz426f and now a wr426f and i have read many post saying they are reliable and i believe this to be true even though i have had bad luck with mine. its risky buying any used bike but these bikes are all about 8 our more years old now so if they were not taken care of and maintained then its likley that something will break and if anything major breaks then it can get expensive. i would not pay any more than $1500 for a yz426. my yz426f blew up because it skipped timming. i think it was caused by a streched timing chain. power wise i dont know how they compare to a 450 but ive heard its close to the 426. ive never felt a need for more power on my 426, unless your a seriuos racer i dont you would have i need for more power.

yz426's are good bikes get an 01 or 02 if you get one both are pretty much the same the 00 model has SS valves vs Ti and it had a few other little bugs since it was the first year 426

power wise I'd say its pretty close to a 450 the 450 is a bigger motor but the 426 is running a higher compression ratio stock but a newer 450 will have a lot smoother powerband 426 has a pretty good hit so does the 03 YZ450 and as you get newer the power comes on smoother as long as you keep the oil changed and check the valves it should be a solid bike for you

I've had my yz 426 00' for about 5 years now and it has been bullet proof, super reliable, and fun. I replaced the clutch once, cleaned the carb/replaced a few gaskets in it, new bearings or re greased them on everything, and most recently did the auto decomp mod and added a boyesen waterpump. Checked the valves during the auto decomp mod and they (3/5) were just barely out of spec new shims fixed that. All in all my 426 has been a GREAT bike and I'm not planning on selling it anytime soon.

I have a '00 426 and it has been completely bulletproof. That being said I'm sure some do have problems. Just be carefull when buying a used bike, you never know what kind of maniac you could be dealing with. IMO the biggest pro is the reliability, and the biggest con for me (in the beginning) was starting when cold. If you bump the throttle at all you're plug is fouled and you have to remove the tank to get to the plug. Other than that they are great bikes.

My 426 is freakin fun bud - ya its a pain to get going when its cold, a little fussy about fouling plugs - but once its going you'll forget it all. There's all kinds of mods out there to make it more rider-friendly, and so far I've changed the clutch in mine. And seriously, I don't baby my bike like other guys do. I change the oil once a year and keep the chain lubed haha, and I haven't had any problems. And it takes a long straight-away for a 04 YZ450F to beat me. Don't be shy!

good bike, ive had my 01' for 3 years now, never had any problems

ok heres my 2 cents worth have had my 02 for ..2 years not one bit of trouble ..there was the leaking fuel but that was just a O ring so apart from that its a wicked bike ...yes the bike is heavy but that can sometimes be a bonus ...when we ride wet and muddy conditions my bike seems to track better through the mud than my sons 06yz 450 i think its the extra weight..as for performance off the mark my 426 will keep with his, sometimes being ahead by 1/2 a bike length, by third gear the 450 is slowly starting to pull away

My dad's was a great bike, never gave us any trouble. It only ever needed clean filters and fresh oil, the valves never needed to be adjusted. The bike had tons of power and was a blast to ride. The only downsides were that it was top heavy and could be hard to start. I hated that manual decompression, if I got one I would put the auto decompression cam in it first thing.

good things

1)power

2)reliability

3)fun bike

bad things

1)weight

2)it is hard to start (like the newer 450s)

3)the front brake is weak

my opinion :ride:

I had one for eight years. The guy I sold it to, two years ago, has just only recently replaced the cam chain and is preparing to race it in Supermoto with a completely stock and completely original engine.....the head has never been off!

good things

1)power

2)reliability

3)fun bike

bad things

1)weight

2)it is hard to start (like the newer 450s)

3)the front brake is weak

my opinion :ride:

2nd the hard to start. A friend of mine would spend 10-15 minutes just trying to get his started.

I had one for awhile & it just wasn't for me in the long run. But I ride singletrack in tight woods mostly. The seat might as well be a wooden plank... at least it felt that way to me. Geared way too high & stalling can be an issue in the slow stuff. I changed both sprockets which helped a lot.

Plenty of power though & mine was the easiest starting bike EVER. 1st or 2nd kick every time once I learned the correct procedure. But yeah, a little heavy with a big hit that requires attention to throttle control.

Sold it to my buddy & he enjoys it more than I ever did. Except for when he can't get it started & I manage to fire it up for him with a kick or two. That really irritates him. :ride:

i've got the 01 yz 250f which is a very very similar bike

its got manual decom and i've never had any problem starting using "the trick"

If you know the "secret handshake", and the bike is tuned properly starting the 426 is EASY. I had one for a couple of years and it was bulletproof, stared first or second kick hot or cold. Not a single engine problem in probably 200 hours of use. Changed the oil every 8 hrs or so.

Sure is top heavy though...

yeah mine is so easy to start cold but not as easy when its hot, very reliable bike when regular maintence is done

tune it right and get used to it and it starts like a champ, as for the gearing, it is a little high but it is a track bike. I ride mostly trails now so i just bumped to a 13/50 and ride a little faster and feather the clutch when needed. I would by another or even a wr if the opportunity presented itself

I was just interested in it, don't really want one though...