Sign in to follow this  

2006 kx450f tight woods gearing.

I recently purchased a 06 kx450f after a fifteen year retirement from riding and racing. I test rode the bike in the woods and immediately knew first gear was to tall but thought it could be geared down. If anyone has any suggestion it would be much appreciated. I do not motocross and plan to stay with the eastern Hare Scrambles, tight woods trail riding and maybe an Enduro. I am 6 foot tall and way about 240. My previous experience level was expert so my mind thinks I can ride but the body has other ideas. Currently the bike has a 13 counter and 50 rear. The bike came with a spare 52 but the chain maybe to short. Is a Rekluse the answer or should I just go to another machine. Thanks for any suggestions.

I don't ride trails, but can say that 1st can go very slow with the rekluse pro clutch. With rotella oil the wear is very slow. You might have more fun with 13:49. The motor can only be stalled with very erratic throttle chopping and with good carb setup with the AP, fuel screw adjustment it's practically impossible to stall. It's still too much agro response for woods, but a quieter muffler works like more flywheel mass and prevents the revs building too fast.

I have a standard 13 -50 set up on mine. Only had mine a month but with the rekluse pro I am loving it. You will stall though if you chop on the throttle too hard with the rekluse, but it allows it to be ridden soo slow through the tight stuff.

I ride an 06 in woods also... started with a 50 on the rear and thought I couldn't ride anymore... went with a 53 and much improved but still alot to handle in the tight stuff... put in a rekluse z start and made a world of difference, recently upgraded to the rekluse pro (anyone looking for a rekluse??). Alot of fun to ride except when your picking it up... my only remaining issue has been with boiling over too much... just bought some zipty waterless coolant so hopefully it's as good as everyone says ( I know the heat is still there it's just not boiling... but I've gone to a 1.8 cap and coolant recovery tank tried engine ice/water wetter etc... still boil went its slow and tight) Bottom line... It' s the bike I've got and thats where I ride, I have a blast so I'm going to keep doing it...:ride:

Thanks to all who replied. Sounds like a Rekluse Pro is going to have to be purchased. The ones I have seen are around $599.00 is that about the best price anyone has seen?

What kind of Rotella oil? The only one I am familiar with is for diesels.

Has anybody had their suspension reworked with good or bad results. Who would you recomend to rework or purchase springs. Back when I had Huskys Race Tech did a setup and it was excellent but $1200 bucks fifteen years ago is probably $1800.00 today.

I have a 2006 kx450 , i run 13/50 gearing and a rekluse pro ,its great in the woods, if you are going to use it for woods you need a rekluse pro ,i love it .

I ride an 06 in woods also... started with a 50 on the rear and thought I couldn't ride anymore... went with a 53 and much improved but still alot to handle in the tight stuff... put in a rekluse z start and made a world of difference, recently upgraded to the rekluse pro (anyone looking for a rekluse??). Alot of fun to ride except when your picking it up... my only remaining issue has been with boiling over too much... just bought some zipty waterless coolant so hopefully it's as good as everyone says ( I know the heat is still there it's just not boiling... but I've gone to a 1.8 cap and coolant recovery tank tried engine ice/water wetter etc... still boil went its slow and tight) Bottom line... It' s the bike I've got and thats where I ride, I have a blast so I'm going to keep doing it...:lol:

Off Topic: :ride:

But.... concerning the coolant catch can... which reservoir (bike model/year) did you use and where is it mounted? :ride: