Sign in to follow this  

Your Opinions on These Front Tires............

What would be the better (performance and durability) front tire with a MT43 rear on a KTM 300 09:

- Kenda "Washougal Stickies", "Southwick II", "Millville" or "Carlsbad"

- Bridgestone M59

- Bridgestone IT's (403 & 404)

- Dunlop MX51 Geomax Intermediate

- Pirelli XCMS (old MT44)

- M204 or M404

- MT320

- Metzler MC4 or MC5

Not interested in the S12, M12 or Scorpion Pro that chunk up too quickly..

My riding is everything offroad - except MX and desert

Byte

I use the M59. It has always worked well in all conditions for me. There may be some better for specific terrain, but this has been a good overall tire for rocks, roots, mud. I have not tried it in the sand yet.

thanks

what life (miles) do u get on average with the M59's?

Byte

I use Kenda Millville's since they are cheap. Huge tread, mine still hasn't worn down much although they do have a tendency to chunk up a little. Not enough to really change anything for me at least.

Although I've only ever used em on a 125 so a 300 could probably do some pretty good damage to them. I would suggest against it for your bike.

Tires always seem to be a trial and error thing for me no matter how many reviews or things I hear about each one.

I have tried a lot of tires and settled (for now) on the mt 43 rear and a washougal sticky front tire (I've been surprised how much I like this tire and how long it lasts --at a great price.

I ride an 05 wr290 and ride trails and race harescrambles.

• Like 1

Thankks guys -

How important is a high sidewall in a front tire?

Byte

I use the M59. It has always worked well in all conditions for me. There may be some better for specific terrain, but this has been a good overall tire for rocks, roots, mud. I have not tried it in the sand yet.

+1 on the M59 been running one on my 426 for a long while now........

i have read some good things on the M59 how it absorbs the hit well and sends much less shock back to the handlebars

However, I also read that it tends to hunt around on hard pack with loose on top(i.e. summer conditions).

Thoughts?

Byte

I had a set of the geo max 51 s on my yz and the front hooked up amazingly well i wasnt sold on the rear it seemed to slide around in the corners to much for me

i run the kenda southwick II or the kenda washugal. ive tried a lot of different tire, those are my favorite. the southwick II is awesome.

Ive been running the mx31 for a while now and it seems to be a good tire. I normally run MS3 Michelins but I got an extremely good deal on the Dunlop.

That said, it works wonderfully on sand, not so well on intermediate as the knobs start to roll, and awful on hardpack. Where as the MS3 can handle sand wonderfully, intermediate with no weird quirks or problems, and is fairly stable on hardpack.

I'll be back on MS3's when the mx31 wears out.

That 952 is really close to the MX51 tire. Both good tires. The MT44 stucked like glue but when it start tearing lugs it was shot. I don't use Brigestone....

You can find the 756 on sale right now and are also good tires...

thanks guys.

how do those harder compound tires such as the kenda perform in relation to traction?

byte

I just got a new set delivered today. Have yet to install. I'm running Neutech Tubelis kits front and rear. Should be able to get down to 6psi or so with these tires. Excellent reviews. I ride mostly tight single track in NJ and PA. Will be running the Tractionator Enduro ST on my KTM 300 EXC.

Here's where I got them: https://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MOTOZ-ENDURO-IT&Show=Reviews

Here's a few review links: http://www.easterndirt.com/11/pages/motoz_1.html

And here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=855621

Motoz : "The tire has more suface area on top of the knobs to really grip well on the hardpack and then the nice deep angular knobs grip everything else wonderfully.

I have ran M12, M59, S12, SI, etc at this location and nothing has handled every aspect. There has always been a compromise with the other tires I have used."

Great tires - so much choice - worth a look!

Byte

Edited by Byte

Pirelli MT 16 front and rear.. thats all i use and there awesome! i run rocks hard pack, soft. roots and everything in the middle.. its awesome. the front tire can last a half of season of very hard riding in the rocks. dont no how but its just holds up. the rear tire just works awesome..

thanks kid - other opinions?

byte

- Kenda "Washougal Stickies", "Southwick II", "Millville" or "Carlsbad"

- Bridgestone M59

- Bridgestone IT's (403 & 404)

- Dunlop MX51 Geomax Intermediate

- Pirelli XCMS (old MT44)

- M204 or M404

- MT320

- Metzler MC4 or MC5

out of those tires you listed. i tryed the washougal stickie and it dident work for crap over here in the woods.. it just slid all over the place.. my buddy uses the bridgestone on his ktm 450 and loves them.

dunlop i wont use.

metzler never used befor..

all i really use is the pirellis.. i use to run the MT 44 front and that was the best front i used but it would wear down superfast in the woods if you run rocks ( the knobs would just rip off) so i started useing the MT 16 front and it works awesome in anything, and wears like a rock..

for the rear tires i use to run the MT 32 rear. hands down best rear i ever used but it just wears down fast. once it gets worn down, it dont want too hook up. unlike the MT 16 when that gets worn down it stiill hooks up..

like i said best combo i found is the MT 16 front and MT16 rear..