Sign in to follow this  

anyone ride on the ice?

just wondering if i should take my 06 450x out on the ice. thinkin of just using ice screws. what do you guys think?

It will work just fine. I put screws in a KTM 300 I no longer have and it was fun. You will get more traction than you think you can. More screws the better. I have friends who set up their bikes in the fall and wait all winter for good ice. We should have some now. LOL

Never done the X but used to do the old CR250. Using cold cutters ( a lot of them) the bike hooked up better than one would expect. Good times ln the ice and breaks up the winter boredom.

when you use the ice screws do you need to put any type of liner in the tire to protect the tube? id think that the screws would pull out if they arn't in deep enough?

You need to put as long as screws as you can without going all the way through your tires. If you ride your bike on dirt & rocks you can and will rip them out. I have seen pics of a tire some one put 6mm bolts all the way through from the inside out. Than ground points on them. IMO that's out there and dangerous.

I didn't use a liner. I measured the knob height + carcass thickness and then backed off by 1/4" or so on the screw length to ensure no contact between the screw and tube. I ran on these for a couple winters and never had an issue. It's been too many years and I simply don't remember the length I used otherwise I'd give you a ballpark length.

If you are concerned just make your own liner. Use an old tube, split it and lay it in place.

1/2" long screws are typical. Always install them in brand new rubber too. No need to run a liner. You should get a good 2 winter seasons of lots of riding in on a set.

Traction. The more screws the better. Be careful. You can highside very easily, the traction can be so good.

Also, if you only want to do one screw per knob, they'll double as excellent winter off-road tires. They'll dig into frozen ground sooooooo nicely.

Just did mine ... love it !!

Used 1/2 on the front and 5/8 on the back (back has thicker tread).

Only suggestion I would have AS WELL is to use brand new tires ! I had a friend who did used tires and lost 80% of the screws after 2 hours of riding.

I noticed after my first ride last week, that I lost 2 screws (out of 300). You will also likely need to tension them back into the tire after every couple of hours (as they back out a bit). Takes only 10 minutes to snug up again though.

Definitely give it a try :ride: I'll be doing my bike every year for early and late season riding (to deal with ICE under the ground). Also if your having to log hop ... you'll love having the screws in.

I found that climbing over logs on a regular basis was a quick way to rip out the screws.

RE: the retightening of screws. It's been a long time since I've ridden ice and the selection of adhesives to the public wasn't very good then. I'd be curious if there's some kind of modern high tech adhesive that can be used when screwing in your own to help BOND the 2 materials together without destroying the desirable properties of the rubber.:ride:

why do they pull out more when you put them in used rubber than in new? i just got a nice set of used tires and was thinking of screwing them up and putting new ones on in the spring. Rear tire has just started to wear the front edge down. looks like about 2 rides on them. Am I better off to buy 2 new tires and screw them up?

I would "guess" its because the tread surface is not longer completely flat, meaning the screw cannot "flush" down as tight to the surface.

Other is you can use slightly longer screws on new tread (5/8 vs 1/2).

Just my "i really don't know for sure" guess :ride:

5/8" cold cutters, more the better. Only good for ice not trail riding, logs etc.. Trellaborgs (spelling?) are good for trails but are alittle pricey. You can use longer screws if you use the carcus of another tire inside your existing tire. It's a real PITA to get back on rim but works great. Have fun.:ride: