Sign in to follow this  

piston install

Just installed a new wiseco top end kit in my 2007 YZ 125... nicked the piston with the circlip slightly... will that be a problem? I started it up and it worked fine, but still wondering what might happen!

I think I know just how you did this......and wish I had a decent solution. Those clips are tough to get in place without scratching things. I've had better luck with a screwdriver I modified to slide them in rather than using pliers.

yep, those pliers didn't help! I did remove the piston and lightly removed any possible burrs... but those freaking circlips are impossible for me!

I think I know just how you did this......and wish I had a decent solution. Those clips are tough to get in place without scratching things. I've had better luck with a screwdriver I modified to slide them in rather than using pliers.

+1 on RC's suggestion.

I have one of those $9.99 kits of 100 screwdriver bit attachments that you can pick up at places like Autozone. it has a group of bits that look like flat tip screwdrivers, but with a notch in them, like the pic below:

notch.jpg

I use that one when installing the circlips and it works great!

+1 on RC's suggestion.

I have one of those $9.99 kits of 100 screwdriver bit attachments that you can pick up at places like Autozone. it has a group of bits that look like flat tip screwdrivers, but with a notch in them, like the pic below:

notch.jpg

I use that one when installing the circlips and it works great!

Thats too funny! Thats just what mine looks like.

I did not mention a source as mine is "borrowed" from an FMC juicer tool kit with a cost of 3000.00. With the economy sucking so badly I hated to recommend it.

That tool hooks the clip and will lever it in. Have spares on hand as a miss will send the clip flying 300 feet + or - 10%. Once you find the clip, its a guarantee you'll find two and not know which is new.

Instead of efi, sss,ypvs,bass, or more acronyms, how about a clip-less piston????

I even went so far as to buy a circlip installer for work.....uh, yea....for work.

It sucks worse than the pliers.

One additional suggestion...

Keep one of your old circlips and your old piston and practice, practice, practice putting the circlips in until you feel confident that you can easily do it...

I still do that with mine from time to time to stay in practice and the piston makes a nice pencil/pen holder on my desk, lol

I used a circlip install tool from SKi-Doo once and it worked very slick!

I should have bought one at the time, not sure if they sell them anynore.

*** wear eye protection when installing the clips

Thanks for the suggestions... I will hopefully have this down to a science the next time I need to do the top end!

i too have scratched a piston with a screwdriver but found the solution last time. start one end of circlip in the grove then cover clip with your thumb and use a nut driver (looks just like a screwdriver) but accepts a 8 or 10 mm nut into the end. use the nut driver to compress the circlip until it pops in. the nut driver does not f up the piston as it is smooth and rounded. worked really slick in december right after i sanded down the "other" side of my new pro-x:bonk:

HAve to laugh at all the "unidentified flying circlips"! :ride: Seems we ALL have something in common whether we like it or not! :ride: Also the eye protection is a great idea with those little dudes. As soon as I read that I could feel one shootin' me right in the peeper! OUCH!

Thinking of getting one of these. But that would take all the fun out of watching my cat track down my flying clips. He has led me to more then a few.

http://www.buxtools.com/