Sign in to follow this  

2005 YZ250F SHOCK - Woods Stack?

I need a recommendation for a shim stack for my 2005 YZ250F shock. I did my own re-valve on my forks last season with great success now it's time to get the shock tamed down too. I dug through all these threads for hours last night so please pardon me if I missed something already posted. By the way, I'm in no need of exacting, scientific, perfect tuning. I just need a basic woods stack that will get me into the ball park. My info:

- 2005 YZ250F

- I race C Class Hare Scrambles in Virginia (Pretty consistent top five now).

- I weigh 195 in street clothes plus another 30 in my gear. My bike has the stock tank and all the typical woods racing armor, guards, plates, bark busters, etc.

- On my stock spring (5.1) I'm a little heavy. I once measured my race sag and it was too much but only by a little. I'll buy a spring if recommended.

- The shock: Have not disassembled it just yet. It's never been off the bike since new. Bike has around 120 hours on it and was still working great, no issues, no leaks, shaft has no pitting, nitrogen charge measured low at 114 psi (not sure if temp has any affect but it was about 36 degrees in the garage when I checked it).

While there is no issue with the shock I know it must be due for some sort of inspection, rebuild, oil change, etc before the season starts. All I did last season is just ride the heck out of it and mostly ignored everything except clickers. I only messed with them when going between the trails and MX. I know that I am missing out on a lot by not re-valving for my type of racing but at my skill level in my first season (2009), I really didn't know how to interpret what the shock was doing anyway. It's certainly harder to judge your shock performance as opposed to the forks I think.

A little more background - Last race season through much research in all these forums I was able to perform my own woods re-valve for my KYB TC forks. I raced 13 Hare Scrambles races on them in the C Class and they were awesome. Really all I did was remove about half of the largest shims closest to the valve on the compression side (since I had the system apart for new seals/oil anyway) and to me in my limited woods racing experience, they sucked up every rock, root, rut, stump in my path (and off my path). My front tire was beating me up before, now it's plush and stays on the ground. Plus, I can still jump pretty high on MX trackswith some clicks on the compression clickers.

Just giving my post a bump here. Any feedback on this? I'm just looking for something a little better than stock that works good in the woods, not a proprietary stack. Thanks folks.

Give smart performance a call. Dave is cool, and he can set you up with a shock kit for cheap!

Thank you. Just talked to Dave this morning. Super friendly and helpful. Just for database purposes here on the forum, here is the stock valve stack from the shock on my 2005 YZ250F.

Nut

70mm Washer X2

3mm Plate

22 x .20

24 x .30

26 x .30

28 x .30

30 x .30

32 x .30

34 x .30

36 x .30

26 x .10

36 x .20 X 7

Valve

40 x .20 X 12

34 x .10

30 x .10

40 x .20

38 x .20

36 x .20

34 x .20

32 x .20

30 x .20

28 x .20

26 x .20

24 x .20

21 x .20

Thick Stop Plate

Rick - Can you remind me what spring you are using and how much you weigh?

Sure Dave, Sent you some info on your email too.

2005 YZ250F

- I race C Class Hare Scrambles in Virginia (Pretty consistent top five now).

- I weigh 195 in street clothes plus another 30 in my gear. My bike has the stock tank and all the typical woods racing armor, guards, plates, bark busters, etc.

- On my stock spring (5.1) I'm a little heavy. I once measured my race sag and it was too much but only by a little. I'll buy a spring if recommended.

I forgot to ask this too. Any recommendations on name brands of a good quality rear spring? (if I need one)

Hey goyamaha,

try this stack

compression

40-0.20*9

30-0.11

26-0.11

40-0.20

38-0.25

36-0.25

34-0.25

32-0.25

30-0.25