Sign in to follow this  

engine out ... and tore down! *pic's*

well,

we took the motor out of my 230. It is only getting 90 psi of compression, and it should be getting 188 to 190 psi.

the piston does not look bad either the rings. I am taking the valves down to Honda to get them to look at it. It could have a bad valve seat, seal, or burnt exhaust valve.

Can any one see any thing wrong?

Jan102010103-1.jpg

Jan102010107-1.jpg

Jan102010104-1.jpg

Jan102010105-1.jpg

Jan102010106-1.jpg

Jan102010108-1.jpg

Jan102010109-1.jpg

Jan102010110-1.jpg

Jan102010111-1.jpg

Jan102010112-1.jpg

Jan102010113-1.jpg

Jan102010114-1.jpg

Jan102010115-1.jpg

Jan102010116-1.jpg

Jan102010117-1.jpg

are you sure your compression tester was ok?

are you sure your compression tester was ok?

ya, it is fine. But one thing i did wrong is that i didn't hold full throtel

if you didnt holt it at full throttle, that could account for the low numbers you are getting. by 90 psi you would notice if your bike wasn't running correctly, especially starting.

but since its apart might as well take a look at the head and slap some new rings in it

it also was smoking a lot

I guess rings it is then.Don't forget valve stem seals.

I don't want this to sound condescending, but did you ever check the valve lash? A tight valve will cause all sorts of running issues along with low compression readings.

I don't want this to sound condescending, but did you ever check the valve lash? A tight valve will cause all sorts of running issues along with low compression readings.

no, i just bought the bike 2 months ago and now fixing it up

but would valve lash cause it to smoke?Maybe flood a lil but if it was burning oil then I doubt it would be valve lash.

You could check the valves by putting solvent in the ports and seeing if it runs past the valves. If it seeps, that's ok, but if it flows, that's your compression problem. Like the other guy said, if you don't hold open the carb fully, you'll get low compression. Valve guides and seals can cause the smoking.

By the way, if it's not too much trouble, could you measure the height of your cylinder from the base gasket surface to the head gasket surface? I have a question up on another post about that.

Thanks,

Toby

You could check the valves by putting solvent in the ports and seeing if it runs past the valves. If it seeps, that's ok, but if it flows, that's your compression problem. Like the other guy said, if you don't hold open the carb fully, you'll get low compression. Valve guides and seals can cause the smoking.

By the way, if it's not too much trouble, could you measure the height of your cylinder from the base gasket surface to the head gasket surface? I have a question up on another post about that.

Thanks,

Toby

done and done! i posted a reply to you post

i just bought a 2007 and had to put piston,head,valve seals,rings,3 gears in the tranny,a cam plus body parts and more.I don't think the guy changed the oil in it,the cam was worn alot.Abuse kills anything.

Smoking is often bad valve seals, but could also be bad guides if the bike was abused.

I strongly suggest that others do a good compression test, without and with oil, before tearing out an engine. That way you will know what is causing the low compression.

You should follow Honda's procedure for preping the seats and valves because the valve and seat materials are different than common automotive parts and may require a different process.