car anti-freeze vs Dirt bike coolant

Can you use car radiator coolant that you could buy at your local hard ware store? What is the difference between the brand you buy on Motosport.com from the brand you buy at your local store?

I use antifreeze designed for aluminum radiators and distilled water.

Use propylene glycol (PG) based antifreeze that don't have silicate in them. This is all the motorcycle based antifreezes are. Save yourself some $$$.

All engine ice is propylene glycol (PG) that is tinted blue/ purple.

Edited by kwoody51
mixed up information

its all practically the same. as long as you got anti-freeze in the bike, your good.

sierra by peak.....

its all practically the same. as long as you got anti-freeze in the bike, your good.

Your sooooo wrong man. Sorry......

Auto coolants contain silicates which WILL damage the smaller seals and water pumps generally associated with bikes. There are many bike specific coolants but the one I prefer that offers anti freeze protection is Honda's HP coolant in a blue bottle.

Coolants are very different from each other. I work in an automotive shop and we stock factory coolants for all vehicles we work on. Buy the right stuff and don't take any chances.

That being said, If I did have to use automotive coolant in a bike I would use Honda type II premixed. I t works really well in Honda cars. I don't know if it is any cheaper than OEM specific bike stuff, but I suspect so.

I've owned and raced 25 water cooled bikes since 1981 and I've never had an issue with any automotive antifreeze, with or without silicates. If you are on a tight budget and worried about silicates damaging your water pump seal, use Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze. It is silicate free.

I use Pro-Honda coolant. It's like $1 more each engine rebuild than car stuff.

ive always run a 50/50 premix of prestone and never had a heating issue with any of the bikes ive ever had

All engine ice is ethylene glycol (EG) that is tinted blue/ purple.

You are so incorrect.

Engine Ice is NOT ethylene glycol based but Propylene Glycol based. Huge difference.

Propylene Glycol is non-toxic and is also used in food, toothpaste, cosmetics, etc.

The Dirtrider July 2006 issue Dr D has an article called "Cool it". There is a test of a variety of coolants and explains lots. I've been looking but haven't found anything online yet. Maybe someone else out there can get a link.

I have used prestone 50/50 in my bike with no problems.

ha ha ha so funny this could end up being as bad as an auto oil vs. motorcycle oil thread!

ha ha ha so funny this could end up being as bad as an auto oil vs. motorcycle oil thread!

probably :ride::ride:

You are so incorrect.

Engine Ice is NOT ethylene glycol based but Propylene Glycol based. Huge difference.

Propylene Glycol is non-toxic and is also used in food, toothpaste, cosmetics, etc.

Sorry you are 100% correct, I mixed them up. I'll edit my post, I apperciate you pointing out this gross error.

now who should i beleive?

now who should i beleive?

Whoever you feel like.

If you maintain your bike well anything should be fine. The only thing I would be worried about is some of the car stuff sitting in aluminum.

Pour some water in your bike of you want

Edited by zotis777

Water Wetter and straight water. It's a better coolant than any antifreeze.

Whoever you feel like.

If you maintain your bike well anything should be fine. The only thing I would be worried about is some of the car stuff sitting in aluminum.

Pour some water in your bike of you want

I'm interested in why the cars have aluminuim radiators with car anti freeze. Maybe they should use some special motorcycle anti freeze.

I use the orange no no 5 year car anti freeze. I know I know I've been a bad boy since 07 till today in the same bike. :devil:  Drain it every 5 years and forgetaboutit.  :jawdrop: