Sign in to follow this  

Slightly off topic, but...

It's the advice and opinions expressed in this forum that I value the most, so......I'm contemplating the purchase of an adventurer/touring type of bike. Something along the lines of a KTM 950 ADV, BMW R1200 GS, or BMW F800GS. The Vstroms are in the equation as well. Share with me your opinions and any experience that you may have with any of these bikes. Maintenance issues, longevity, parts/accessory availability, and any forums or web sites that might be beneficial for me to browse.

At the moment I'm looking at all the BMW GS's from the 1100's to 1150's to 1200's, and am really intrigued by the new 800. I'm wondering if you think the 800 is plenty of bike for a svelte 6'2" and 215 Lbs. I think that I'd like to start with day rides mostly, and work up to touring. I'm a little intimidated by the bigger bikes but it seems that everyone ends up there in the end.......

Show me the light!!:ride:

Between the KTM and the Beemer, the KTM is by far the better off road bike. The Beemer is more comfy on the road. If you're not going any further off road than the Alcan Hiway, then the Beemer is fine. But it's a big heavy pig.

Never ridden the little 800.

Between the KTM and the Beemer, the KTM is by far the better off road bike. The Beemer is more comfy on the road. If you're not going any further off road than the Alcan Hiway, then the Beemer is fine. But it's a big heavy pig.

Never ridden the little 800.

I beg the difference.........in the case of the 800 that is..... Cant speak of the 1200....950...990.... But I have been on several trips on mine (F800gs).....1 foot up and overs...... It is a very capable dirtie....:ride::ride:

Erling

I`d let you try mine..... The only two things the 1200 does better than the 800 is extended highway........ Better seat...(can be fixed). and heavier...(around 50-90 lbs depending on equipment....less smacking around when passing semi`s). Other than that....the 800 will run circles around the 1200.......specially off pavement..... I speak of experience. Cant speak of the ktm`s I steered away due to (non) ease of serviceability.... Just look at an oil change on the 990.....Fuel economy..... Never ridden one....

Have a look here....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415604

I looked at the stroms, and really liked them, but couldn`t find a dealer who`d trade a car...... Bwm`s are pricy.....but much more dirtworthy than the 800gs.

:ride::ride:

Erling

I have a stock Suzuki DL 650 Wee Strom. I had it on a dirt road once going down to a lake & for my money it is a street bike. I think it is a good road bike, fairly comfortable, is reliable, and handles good. I know a lot of people off road them but thats what I have my DRZ435S & YZ400F for.

Thanks for the links, I'm reading away!!

I'm leaning F800GS but want one for a used 1150 price!

Good luck with that...... Ehhh.... the 1150 price..... I looked for a year.....nothing.... gave up got a new one..... Brian Give me a call if you have any questions......:ride::ride:

Erling

I have an 05 v-strom 650 that I picked up last june. For general commuting and dirt roads, this bike is as close to perfect as can be. For off road riding, leave it in the garage. The drz is far superior for trails. If you can afford both you will have the right tool(bike) for whatever riding you feel like doing that particular day. As far as maintenance goes, all I have had to do is change the oil and it is in need of new tiresand chain and sprockets. All normal wwear and tear items. The v strom seems to be built to last a long time with little effort.

I've been thinking a lot about big adventure bikes as well.

I spent 2 days riding a BMW 800 RT last year. Nice motor. The EFI is really well behaved, very smooth, plenty of power, basically a really agreeable package. It's not, however, going to loft the front end over logs without clutch work.

Regarding the GS, a friend witnessed a modest off-road crash (about 30 mph, slid into a ditch) that completely totalled the GS. Basically, the the headstock was torn off the frame. It's entirely possible that there was some freak occurrence -- maybe the front got hooked on a rock/tree/fence post or whatever, but IMHO, that shouldn't happen.

The same friend also said they are otherwise quite well constructed in the sense that high-mileage examples stay feeling pretty tight, and don't get all clapped out & sloppy.

IMHO, the question of the 800 is what you're comparing it to -- if you're comparing it to a GS 1150, or the WeeStrom... buy the 800 hands down. If you're comparing it to the KTM 950 or 990, consider the KTM, but the KTM is a lot more bike -- bigger, taller, faster, longer travel suspension, etc.

I'm still thinking 800............lighter and more fun/dirt capable than the 1150/1200's. It has to be easier/cheaper to maintain with the chain and sprocket vs. the final drive and shaft. I'm not sure that I'd ever get the Mrs. to go two up............she wants her own 650 GS!!

I think the KTM's are too maintenance intensive for my tastes, and I like being a little different.......in case you all haven't noticed!:ride:

This would be a second bike, I'll never sell the Z!!

I'm still thinking 800............lighter and more fun/dirt capable than the 1150/1200's. It has to be easier/cheaper to maintain with the chain and sprocket vs. the final drive and shaft. I'm not sure that I'd ever get the Mrs. to go two up............she wants her own 650 GS!!

I think the KTM's are too maintenance intensive for my tastes, and I like being a little different.......in case you all haven't noticed!:ride:

This would be a second bike, I'll never sell the Z!!

The twin 650gs is one of the best bmw deals out there.... Nancy like????

:lol::ride:

Erling

I've been in the same bag for awhile. I have always loved the big GS 1100-1200 nice land yacht. Other than hard pack gravel, not so much. Even then they are way big. I spent part of a day lifting dragging one. No fun.

I love the idea and the look of the 990, but the EFI sounds poor and my buddy with a Super Duke has recounted the maintenance. No way for me.

I like the look of the GS800 as well. It really reminds me of another buddies 750 Tenere. But I'm worried about missing something like my Pumpkin, effortless velocity is nice.

I am kind of oogling the new C14 though. Looks intriguing. Big power easy speed. I'm thinking something a bit more of a miler is the way to go.

My DRZ is almost as close now to being the ultimate adventure tourer now. I can't see a dual bike being any better. Too me if distance is an issue it'll be roads. Any mixture of off raod the DRZ rules. I am planning to try some distance with the SM wheels this summer. We'll see.

My KTM 950 Adventure is simply breathtaking. You can still find low mileage carburated 950s for a good deal. Decent on the slab, awesome in the dirt. The rider is the only factor on where it will and will not go. I smile each and every time I ride it....

I need to hear more about the KTM's, maintenance issues, problems?

I've always kind of liked the 950/990 Adventure..............decisions, decisions.

I know I want an F800GS! Saw one at the dealer, sat on it, and it looks and feels like a great bike. I'll be taking a test ride as soon as they get the demo bikes in. Can't wait!

Have you had a chance to sit on, or ride any of the bikes?

Good luck on the decision!:ride:

Oh, and check this thread out: F 800/650 GS pics