Sign in to follow this  

Finally got new tires mounted mx51 and scorpion pro

Got a scorpion pro 90/90 21 front and a stock size dunlop geomax mx51 for xmas and finally got them mounted up at the track yesterday..

I gotta say i really like the dunlop a lot. It hooks up really nice and really does what you want it to. I really recommend this tire. I really got these tires more for off road trails so i really wanna see how it handles there but gotta wait till snow melts.

i like the scorpion pro front also. I dont love it but i would say it seems to work really well. Just like others have said it seems to wanna wash a little but you notice it happening and catch it to correct it.

Sorry this is not the most technical review but i am a kinda noob rider so i thought i would share my info since tires are always a big question.

I gotta say i really like the dunlop a lot. It hooks up really nice and really does what you want it to. I really recommend this tire. I really got these tires more for off road trails so i really wanna see how it handles there but gotta wait till snow melts.

Thanks for yet another conclusive review :ride:

Can't wait anymore to install mine....

Anyone knows the shelf life of these tyres?

dsc02591u.jpg

Is it ok not to install them yet, say 6 mos after buying them?

Thanks!

Yes its fine as long as they are stored in a good environment (warm and dry) so no dry rot occurs... Ive let tires sit around in the heated garage for years, and chances are that theyve been sitting in a warehouse for longer than youve had em.:ride:

Dunlop is supposed to be releasing a "MX 71" in this line before too long. I dont know the difference, but hey, the numbers are 20 higher...it must be better! Just like an AMP that goes to 11.

For years we had a warehouse near a Goodyear distribution center. Goodyear threw out any tires after 90 days. The delivery truck would come by to pick up a pallet or two from us. The truck would be full of goodyear tires with a 4 inch hole drilled in the sidewalls. Typically they were the big, expensive tires to fit sports cars. Very sad to see.

They told me , off the record, the tires were still as good as new and would remain so for years. However, they could not risk being sued for selling old tires.

I would have no issue with using two year old tires on my dirtbike.

Dunlop is supposed to be releasing a "MX 71" in this line before too long. I dont know the difference, but hey, the numbers are 20 higher...it must be better! Just like an AMP that goes to 11.

For years we had a warehouse near a Goodyear distribution center. Goodyear threw out any tires after 90 days. The delivery truck would come by to pick up a pallet or two from us. The truck would be full of goodyear tires with a 4 inch hole drilled in the sidewalls. Typically they were the big, expensive tires to fit sports cars. Very sad to see.

They told me, off the record, the tires were still as good as new and would remain so for years. However, they could not risk being sued for selling old tires.

Anyway, part of the price(s) we pay as consumers/ patrons goes to that :ride:

Yes its fine as long as they are stored in a good environment (warm and dry) so no dry rot occurs... Ive let tires sit around in the heated garage for years, and chances are that theyve been sitting in a warehouse for longer than youve had em.:ride:

Thanks man!

They told me , off the record, the tires were still as good as new and would remain so for years. However, they could not risk being sued for selling old tires.

Basing this off the trend they already have going with the numbers for the Geomax series Im going to guess its the hard terrain compound. The 31 is for soft, 51 is intermediate 71 being for hard just seems logical

Basing this off the trend they already have going with the numbers for the Geomax series Im going to guess its the hard terrain compound. The 31 is for soft, 51 is intermediate 71 being for hard just seems logical

Def makes sense... never even thought about that! Nice catch!:ride:

How are these tires in terms of durability?

The tread pattern looks very similar to the Michelin MS3/MH3 which hav been my tires of choice lately. Excellent traction and durability. If the MX51/71 lasts even longer I'd gladly switch.

My mx51 front lasted me about 2.5-3 months and the rear lasted a little over a month riding for appx. 4 hours 2-3 times a week, occasionally more! I woulda ran em again but i had some free michelins that I got from a friend so I figured Id give em a shot considering they were free. But Ive yet to get a solid ride in on em, if these dont hold up ill def be going back to the mx51s as I cant see any tire performing as well as them and holding up as long under my riding conditions including everything from extremely rocky to heavy mud and sand. Def one of the longest lasting tires Ive ridden that performed amazingly well. They are already back on both 250s and my 450 since theyre getting prepped for the upcomming seasons, Just experimenting with the 125 since it likes to chew up tires which is where Im getting these numbers from.

FYI: I was getting about 1.5 months out of a front and about 6 rides out of a rear when i was running my previous dunlops... and that was riding on a wide variety of conditions with both sets! chances are Ill return to mx51s.

Got a scorpion pro 90/90 21 front and a stock size dunlop geomax mx51 for xmas and finally got them mounted up at the track yesterday..

i like the scorpion pro front also. I dont love it but i would say it seems to work really well. Just like others have said it seems to wanna wash a little but you notice it happening and catch it to correct it.

Sorry this is not the most technical review but i am a kinda noob rider so i thought i would share my info since tires are always a big question.

You gotta have 15" of snow on the ground how could you tell how the tires performed? I have studded tires and can't even ride. I'm going stir crazy, this winter sucks!

My mx51 front lasted me about 2.5-3 months and the rear lasted a little over a month riding for appx. 4 hours 2-3 times a week, occasionally more! I woulda ran em again but i had some free michelins that I got from a friend so I figured Id give em a shot considering they were free. But Ive yet to get a solid ride in on em, if these dont hold up ill def be going back to the mx51s as I cant see any tire performing as well as them and holding up as long under my riding conditions including everything from extremely rocky to heavy mud and sand. Def one of the longest lasting tires Ive ridden that performed amazingly well. They are already back on both 250s and my 450 since theyre getting prepped for the upcomming seasons, Just experimenting with the 125 since it likes to chew up tires which is where Im getting these numbers from.

FYI: I was getting about 1.5 months out of a front and about 6 rides out of a rear when i was running my previous dunlops... and that was riding on a wide variety of conditions with both sets! chances are Ill return to mx51s.

That's about right......I was getting about 30 hours on the rear of my YZ450f with a D952, and about 50 hours on the front D952....love that front tire, it's the best front tire I've ever had on my bikes....I'm trying the MX51 on my YZ now, and it's definitely showing signs of comparable performance.

That's about right......I was getting about 30 hours on the rear of my YZ450f with a D952, and about 50 hours on the front D952....love that front tire, it's the best front tire I've ever had on my bikes....I'm trying the MX51 on my YZ now, and it's definitely showing signs of comparable performance.

:thumbsup:Thanks I wasnt sure on the amount of hours but that actually sounds very close... I just pay attention to the time frame when it comes to tires. It might be beneficial to start logging this like I do with my top ends, bearings, reeds, suspesion, etc. Funny how I log EVERYTHING but it never crossed my mind to log tires!

I love my MX51 front tire, Ive gone out riding hard for about 10 days of riding and my front tire still almost looks new, it has been through lots of rocky terrain, some pretty soft dirt, sandy desert, blue groove, hard dried over lake beds. Ive been doing some fun natural terrain hits out in Majave and Ocotillo and havent seen it slip out of line. The rear is also standing up to my abuse pretty well but its about half way through its life. Im really curious about how the D952 holds up in comparison

I think the mx51 is not as good as the old 756...but the old 756 lasted about one ride! (not serious..but kinda true)

I have LOVED the mx 31 rear for what I ride...and frankly...it works just fine on hardpack (but wears badly on it)

31 front was marginal in hardpack...but excellent in loam/soft/sand/mud.

It's a shame bridgestone is out.

The pirelli's are ok...nice that they offer a tire for darn near every condition, but knowing what condition is matching their tire! I found the pirelli to need higher air pressure than I normally run.

I think the mx51 is not as good as the old 756...but the old 756 lasted about one ride! (not serious..but kinda true)

I have LOVED the mx 31 rear for what I ride...and frankly...it works just fine on hardpack (but wears badly on it)

31 front was marginal in hardpack...but excellent in loam/soft/sand/mud.

It's a shame bridgestone is out.

The pirelli's are ok...nice that they offer a tire for darn near every condition, but knowing what condition is matching their tire! I found the pirelli to need higher air pressure than I normally run.

Higher air pressure for traction purposes? Id think that would take its toll on tread life. I have a random pirelli sitting on the shelf as well but i doubt ill ever use it, I might go ahead and stud it since the ground doesnt look like its gonna thaw out anytime soon.

Are you saying that you didnt like the tire? What was performance like, as in the variety of conditions it will work well in?