Sign in to follow this  

xc 250 or xc-w

i ride in arizona and i am trying to decide what 250 to get. I am worried that the xc is going to lag in big wide open sand washes. Would the 250 xc-w be better for arizona riding??? Please help!! Or could i get the xc and gear it differently??

Thanks Alex

I have always thought it is easier to spread the gears out a little by changin up the sprockets than to try and tighten up a W tranny. If I was going to go W, it would be a 300.

not many leave a 250W stock, adding teeth to the rear, SX or XC head, ign, etc. since it's pretty tame stock.

you can go 2 up in the rear on the W, but then you basically end up with a 4 spd bike.

i have an 08 250xc i love it the gearing is nice but i ride tight woods in ny but i would just change sprockets on the xc if i were you

Alex,

You want the XC! The power and suspension on the XCW is on the soft side, which is great for single track but will make it wallow in the faster sand sections. I really think you'd be better off to start with the XC and tweak the gearing to your taste. Having ridden extensively in New Mexico, I think you'll be really happy with the XC motor and suspension in the desert, and it will still be a fairly plush ride in the mountains. I rode a YZ250 in N.M. I now have a 250XCW which I love for what I ride here in Missouri, but I just don't think it would work that good out west.

Good luck!

IMO, I ride some desert and a couple races and the XC will not have enough top speed for the desert, power yes but speed no. The forks are more suited for motocross, they will deflect if you ever ride tight trails or roots. The W motor will be a bit on the soft side but you can get the head cut and/or run a SX head & ignition to liven it up.

well if it helps i currently ride a 2006 crf250r how will the xc compare to that in power? i know it is totally different power but will the xc be faster??

well if it helps i currently ride a 2006 crf250r how will the xc compare to that in power? i know it is totally different power but will the xc be faster??

considering the 250F's compete against 125's, YES, the 250 XC will have gobs more power. Heck, my 200 outpowers 250F's.