Sign in to follow this  

Backin'-out of 2010 yz450f, goin' yz250 instead!

Well, here's the situation: I was payin'-off a 2010 yz450f over the winter. I am actually at 8000 of the final 10,300. ( taxes and stuff)

Yeah that is steep. They were selling it to me for 9000 before taxes. MSRP 9500. So I already had a few mods lined-up, add a couple of teeth, tuner..etc..etc

Well, while the winter is winding on, all I am doing is reading about bike topics on TT, and I can't help but come to the conclusion: If I pay that much for a bike that I might not like, I am part of the problem, as far as being a sucker to the marketing gurus in Japan.

I have been racing on my 2007 250f for a few years now, and I wanted more power. I did have a 2007 250t that I actually taught myself to ride on, but I sold it when it was pointed out to me that learning to race motocross effectively is done better with a bike you can handle.

So I have now sharpened my skills on my 250f enough that I am ready to use more HP. I do remember how much I liked the light feel of the 250 2t and the suspension felt so much more like the bike wanted to jump. I have to say the whole power to weight ratio thing is a big deal to me. I never liked the heavy feel of my 250f compared to my 2-stroke, but I got used to it. I really don't want to hop on a 450f and feel like I am riding a tank.

I want to go back to the small rads and narrow shrouds. I guess the clincher is I am tired I being the dealer's bi-atch, because my mechanical skills leave me chicken to mess with a 4-stroke engine, much. I need to go back to 2-strokes to sharpen my mechanical skills, and give my mx-budget a bit of a break.

I just have to say thank-you RAy-Ray..pedroski...and the rest of the 2t guys ..I have been reading your stuff lately and "...just when I thought I was out...you pulled me back in..." Or somethin' like that.

Thanks 2t guys!!!

congrats on your decision. It matters less what bike you choose cause they are all good bikes. It matters more that you have thought about and are happy with your choice.

Personally, I like both the 4 stroke and the 2 stroke and could not / would not choose one over the other.

So... get your 250 2T again and go rip it up! Braap, Braap....

You should try a cylinder works 269 for a 250F. Yes a YZ 250 has loads more power but it's not close to the 4 stroke in delivery at all. But you can't go wrong with the YZ 250, i know i love mine

you done the right thing, i'am doing the same thing but going to a 250 2s from a 250f

Wow I hope you have fun on your new yz250 and it is great to see someone switching back

Last summer i came back into this sport after an 11 year brake. I am fortunate enough to have an 2009 YZ250, and a 2010 YZ450F. I live in NY, nothing is cheap here. The first thing i will say to you is that you are paying way to much for that bike. The dealers out here were telling me all kinds of things from $8,500 to $9,600. I had my wife call around and we found in in CT for $7650, since it is out of state you dont pay tax until you register it ( i have no intention on registering mine) and i made sure they weren't charging me any BS fees. I got it about 3 weeks ago and with the snow i have not ridden it yet. You made a comment about riding a tank, all i can say is they are right next to each other in my garage and the seat on the 450 is about 2 inch's narrower, and the shrouds are sleaker. As i said i havnt ridden it nor have i ever ridden a 4 stroke dirt bike in my life so i cant speak about the performance. Good Luck

after comin off a 250f...the 250 2 stroke or 450 will be fun as F**** to ride...nowadays if the air filter and oil is changed regularly then the maintenance on the 450 should be pretty much nothing. your hammering your 250f way more with smaller valves, cams, etc.. the 450 will take the abuse u can dish it

Great choice. I am in BC and have an 09' YZ 250 and love it.

Depending on where and what you ride it could make a big difference for you. PM me if you wish and I could help you with set up etc. if you need it.

Your going to be even more happy when you change your first top end yourself for 150 bones and you dont have to refinance your house like a thumper!

Your going to be even more happy when you change your first top end yourself for 150 bones and you dont have to refinance your house like a thumper!

Do not misrepresent this... a 2t is a good bike and the top ends are cheap. However, on a 450, you won't do them nearly as often. There are many, many, many documented cases where owners ride the absolute snot out of their 450 and it lasts forever (red riders excluded!). My 05 wr450 with thousands of miles, desert races, dual sport rides, etc.. is still on the original piston and rings. No valve adjustments since I shimmed 1 exhaust valve in 05 after the break in. A friend with an 04 yz450 with even more miles than me has the same level of reliability.

If you maintain both bikes very well, the price difference will be about $400-$600 over a few years. That would be about $200 more per year to maintain. That's not a lot.

The price is not as bad as it seems so long as you don't have a catastrophic failure, like you can have on any bike!

But... the yz250 is still a great bike. If I could had to choose 1 to keep for desert riding/racing, it would be the yz250.

Thanks for all the great comments, guys. My dealer ain't open until tomorrow. I have another 24 hours to cement this decision before I call the salesman and inform him of the switch. I actually live 976 kms ( 500-600 miles) from them and I will be going to pick-up my 250f and new yz250 on friday. So at least I can kick this around as much as I need to. I actually woke up in the middle of the night, last night worryin' about making the wrong decision. Weird, huh?

I am finding it hard to even concentrate..on anything else. I am pretty sure my decision to get married was a damn sight easier to come to than this one. I'm not one of those guys that can get a new bike whenever...I go without, save my money, buy bike...go back to being broke as the mx -season sucks all my spare money. So I just want to get this right.

Maybe your not ready to decide yet then, you should have no doubts and should be 100% committed when making a decision that will cost you 8000 bones.

Ok..I called the salesman this morning and told him I want to shift my money from the 450f to a 2010 yz250. They don't have any. They have a 2008, though. I am supposed to call him back to see what kind of deal I can get, later.

Is there much diff between the 2010 and 2008?

Ok..I called the salesman this morning and told him I want to shift my money from the 450f to a 2010 yz250. They don't have any. They have a 2008, though. I am supposed to call him back to see what kind of deal I can get, later.

Nothing at all other than graphics. I would think that you should be able to get the 08' (if new) for around $6000-$6200 + tax so around $7K OTD.

Possibly even cheaper if the dealer is willing to play a little with you. If so, perhaps try to get some gear, tire, O-Ring chain thrown in as well.

Also, be mindful of the "Freight and PDI" that tend to be added in. Out of the crate they have to put on the front wheel, fender and hadle-bars, then check fluids, bolts etc. and start it. Takes less than an hour if done correctly.

976 km's to the dealer? Where are you at?

I purchased mine from an excelent dealer in Merritt and I'm sure he has 2010 models if you are set on that.

Good luck. :ride:

I went and bought my '09 YZ250 for $6900 OTD after tax and lic. and screwing you fees. Hopefully an '08 could possibly be $6500 OTD?? Good luck

Nothing at all other than graphics. I would think that you should be able to get the 08' (if new) for around $6000-$6200 + tax so around $7K OTD.

Possibly even cheaper if the dealer is willing to play a little with you. If so, perhaps try to get some gear, tire, O-Ring chain thrown in as well.

Also, be mindful of the "Freight and PDI" that tend to be added in. Out of the crate they have to put on the front wheel, fender and hadle-bars, then check fluids, bolts etc. and start it. Takes less than an hour if done correctly.

976 km's to the dealer? Where are you at?

I purchased mine from an excelent dealer in Merritt and I'm sure he has 2010 models if you are set on that.

Good luck. :ride:

Thanks..for the info on the price. I figured, being as how this site is mostly people living in the states, askin' what kinda deal I should shoot for, would be a waste of time. But Thankfully, a fellow BCer (?) read my post. I was hopin' to get it OTD for 7 bills as well.

I live in Fort Nelson, now. I just moved up here to work in the oil-patch. But it is recreational vehicle heaven.:ride: You can ride whatever you own atv, bike, sled...those motorized-couch things that are so popular with the beer-and-mullet crowd:smirk:....( I don't know what they are called)

Different seat cover and a gold anodized chain came in 09. That's it for the differences except the 10 model has even less OEM graphics. :ride:

I would point out to the dealer that the bike you're buying is a leftover and you demand a deal!