how many guys went to a 4 stroke back to a 2 stroke?

Went to 450F in 2006 and the main reasons for me to go back two years later were - the terrible cornering/setting into turns/weight distribution - tried to correct it via the cheap mods to no avail, but did not want to invest in expensive mods considering the questionable results and the already steep price the bike cost me. Other than that, all the things that were written in MXA magazine apply in full as well.

On the other side the engine was great on the 4T. But e.g. other silencer meant $550, now on my 250 smoker it is $110. :ride:

thanks for reply guys.. im 38 and been riding 2 strokes sence i was 7 years old.. the last few years i went back and forth between 125 and 250s 2 strokes.. will after a few years of thinking about it i went out and bought a new 250F to try it..

Interesting....I had a YZ426F for eight seasons and never had to do so much as adjust the valves. How could maintenance be any cheaper than $0?

Your 1 out of thousands. Not everyone does nothing to their bikes for 8 seasons and have nothing break... Some have to do rebuilds. Crazy I know.

CRF450 to KX250.

I started out with two strokes in the 60's, 70's and 80's, then after a long period without riding I got a couple of 4 strokes because I thought that was the way to go. Any dirt bike is a good dirt bike, it just seems to be more natural to ride a two stroke in the woods. It's hard to beat the big bore 4 strokes for hillclimbing though.

Interesting....I had a YZ426F for eight seasons and never had to do so much as adjust the valves. How could maintenance be any cheaper than $0?

I bought a 2000 yz426 in 05, raced it 3 seasons of hare scrambles and only replaced the counter balance key on the gear. My brother's 2001 had no issues either.

However, I did sell it and buy a 250 smoker for the woods and love it.

I've had great luck as well with my 426 and my 450 WR's. Just changed the oil and put in a new oil filter or cleaned out my Scotts oil filter. I did have the valves checked every couple of years and they never moved. Great bikes as far as that goes.

I love my YZ's I just have more fun riding them. Excellent handling and really easy to work on. Not that you have to that often but when you do it's easier. Oil changes with no filter to worry about is nice. Kind of a push as I have to buy premix. But just my opinion I really enjoy the snap and lightweight feel of the YZ's. No matter what I did to my WR's they will never even come close to the handling and feel of my YZ's. Now I didn't own the newer YZ/WR's so again I can't comment on that. Both good bikes that's why I still own one of each.

I bet I'm not. I'd like to see some facts to back up your speculation.

I had a 400 that blew up. A friend had a 426 that blew the crank, another friend has 2 '08 450's that are BOTH maintenance heavy (one locked up, after about 30 hours, still has yet to be rebuilt)....I had an '05 YZ450 that was awesome, put 105 hours on it without any problems....but finances made me cautious about revving it and riding it hard.....Now, I own a 250 2 stroke and feel like it's "guiltless overrev"....

Maybe it's more psychological than anything, but when I can't afford to gamble, I don't. Therefore, I own a 2 stroke mx bike....

My son has raced 250 and 450 4 stroke the last 3 years...Now where buying a yz250 mostly because he can run it, in the 250 and 450 A class legaly. I'am sick of the maintanice on the thumpers, love the way they run and handle, no problems there, just can't afford them. Just bought a new 09 yz250 WAY cheapier that a 450 and about the same price as the discounted 09 250f's.

whats up guys.. just wondering how many guy went and tried a 4 stroke and dident like it and went back to a 2 stroke..please post any reason.. thanks

1999 CR250 was getting a bit old and tired, bit like the rider really. Sold it.

2005 WR450, still own it, in fact rode it yesterday. It tires me out, fast.

2008 KTM 300, Bought this as I found the 450 too much to handle in this part of the world.

2009 Bought a 2001 YZ 250 basically as a practice bike.

90% of the time I would take the 2T's to play, the 450 is fun, but Im just not fit enough / good enough to use it anywhere near its full potential.

Not that I can use the 2T's to their full potential but it FEELS like I can get closer to how I should be riding them compared to the 450.

Unleashing the 450 in the tight bush is an interesting proposition with my skills!

I've gone back and forth so many times that now I own one of each :ride:. I went from a 94 YZ250, then to a 2000 YZ426F, then to a 01 KX250, then to a 03 CRF450 (valve eatin' SOB), then to a 2004 CR250, then to a 2004 KTM450 and finally I now own both a 2005 YZ250 and a 2008 YZ450F.

Despite my YZ450F being stone cold reliable thus far, it still costs more to maintain than my 2 stroke in both time and money. Sure my valves don't move on my 2008 YZ450F, but its far more important to do frequent/regular oil changes on the 450! So the expense comes from oil, oil filters, air filters and of course it eats through chains and sprockets twice as fast as a 2 smokers. Not to mention that even though the valves haven't moved yet, you still need to take the time to open it up and check them every so often. Like they say, time is money.

With my 2 stroke I change the transmission oil every three rides, clean the air filter every ride and do a top end once per season. Yeah both bikes require a break down to lube the linkage, steering head and swing-arm, but don't they all. And like one of the previous posters mentioned, I don't worry about how hard I ride the 2 stroke, but I'm a bit cautious about over-revving my 4-thumper.

Well for the last eight years i've been riding CRF450's(03' & 08') loved them both! I wanted one more two stroke before there gone for good, and im gonna keep it for the long haul. I almost forgot how fun the 2T is...I'm gonna save up and get a thumper too, so i can have the best of both worlds though.

well i hope my 250f is good to me... im starting to wonder if i bought the right bike... but i hade the question in my mind for a few years so im going try one... if i like i will by another 2stroke just to have one of bolth... mentally i already miss my yz-125-250..

Just bought an '09 YZ250 because I was giving my old CR250 too much of a work out and letting my '08 WR450 collect dust. I am not the best rider by far and in the woods if you have to wrestle your bike on the side of a hill for a minute it takes a bunch of energy and I found the light 2 stroke is awesome for a woods weapon, so light and easy to change lines or pull out of ruts. Dont let the 4 strokes of the factory motocross riders make you buy a bike not suited for ya. I love my smoker.