ultra new newb on a thumper

What's up guys,

I'm new to the site. Been referred here from some jetski buds. I just bought a used YZ250f 2003. You guys know any problems inherent to this model? I'm completely new to thumpers. I've always had two strokes and that was 12-15 yrs ago, as a late teen/early 20's. I'm up for any advice you guys can bestow on a new guy.

I wanted to ask a few basic questions about care and maintenance of these newer 4strokes. I live in middle Georgia and will be mostly riding trails and enduro type terrain. Rarely will I be in a MX type environment.

1. How often should I be inspecting the valve clearances?

2. How often should I be cleaning/changing the air filter?

3. What kind of oil do you guys recommend? I've got Yamalube.

4. Any recommendations for suspension setup and maintenance?

5. Gear recommendations too...I only own a helmet and gloves. Gonna get some boots soon.

The bike I bought is in good shape and the previous owner is a good motorcyle owner (lifelong). That being said, the bike is 7 yrs old and will require maintenance to keep it tip top.

Thanks boys

Edited by pabloescobar

1 - Every oil change. Log the numbers. Not when the start to close up/tighten.

2 - Depends on where you ride. Dusty/desert, every ride, dry loom, once ever oil change, inbetween, you decide. I look at my filter after every ride. If it looks dirty, I clean it.

3 - Yamalube is fine. I run Silkolene 20-50Pro 4. You will find as many different types of pizza there are , there are preferred oils. Just change it often.

4 - See a suspension pro

5 - Gear, depends on the depth of your poket book and the fit for you.

1. How often should I be inspecting the valve clearances?

Do it now so you have a baseline and can check if it changes. As long as you don't suck dirt past the airfilter, it shouldn't change.

2. How often should I be cleaning/changing the air filter?

I clean mine about every 3-5 oil changes.... but I have a secret weapon. I run a special setup with a TwinAir first and a Flo filter on top of that. I get ribbed about it... overkill, probably robs power, you know. But honestly, I can’t tell any power loss for offroading, and I love it when I pull the filter and there's no dirt in the airboot. Be especially careful about the seal around the cage. I use the grease for air filters and Belray filter oil or some suitable sticky filter oil.

3. What kind of oil do you guys recommend? I've got Yamalube.

Some of the guys run RotellaT. Run what you have and change it often, every 5-10 hours and filter.

4. Any recommendations for suspension setup and maintenance?

Just keep the linkages greased, front steering stem greased, watch the wheel bearings and keep them greased. Keep good brake pads on there and inspect them. Best money you can spend is to have the suspension tuned for your weight. I can give you my tuner's number here and he can set you up with a primo offroad tune, pm me. We changed the shim stacks and blue printed the valves.

5. Gear recommendations too...I only own a helmet and gloves. Gonna get some boots soon. Gearne boots and good, get good chest protection, knee guards, elbow guards. Get a good helmet. I fell last month and got a concussion, so I replaced my helmet. Make sure it fits snug and doesn’t flop around and has plenty of soft foam padding before the Styrofoam inner shell.

I also added bark busters, skid plate, bar risers, and a Guts racing tall soft seat foam. You didn't mention gearing so here's a recommendation, 13X50 for offroad with stock tranny, 12X52 with a WR250F tranny which is what I'm running. Good luck with the new ride.

1). If it's a brand new bike I would recommend checking the valves within the first 10 hours. They are most likely to go out of spec during this time, and then usually do not need much further adjustment, especially if you are just riding trails, and not pinning it to the limiter. Since your bike is used, you should check the valves to see where they are at. If they are in spec you shouldn't have to check them for at least another 30 hours, especially on a Yamaha.

2). Without a doubt clean the air filter every ride. It's not worth having dirt get into your engine due to a dirty filter. You may have been able to get away with that on a two stroke, but on a four stroke dirt and valves to not go well together.

3). I used Yamalube for a little and switched to Motul 5100 semi synthetic, and now I'm running ELF full synthetic, and it made me realize how terrible Yamalube is. My bike has never shifted better since changing from Yamalube. If you don't want to spend a lot on full synthetic oil, I would definitely go with the Motul 5100, it is an excellent semi synthetic oil with ester.

4). Not sure about suspension. Depends on your weight, riding style, ability, and terrain.

5). In addition to the helmet and gloves, you will definitely need boots and goggles. I would highly recommend a jersey and MX pants as well, but if you are just trail riding, I assume you would be okay with a long sleeved shirt and jeans. If you are going to ride aggressively, you should also consider a Leatt neck brace.

I guess you got the bike? I saw your thread over at X-H20 (Shifty). I bought my bikes new and made the choice to run Shell Rotella-T. Many people seem to reccomend it, its cheap, and available anywhere. I think changing the oil frequently is more important than running $24.00(gal.)

Unless you are sure the valves were inspected, ie reciept, I would check them yourself now.

I guess you got the bike? I saw your thread over at X-H20 (Shifty). I bought my bikes new and made the choice to run Shell Rotella-T. Many people seem to reccomend it, its cheap, and available anywhere. I think changing the oil frequently is more important than running $24.00(gal.)

Unless you are sure the valves were inspected, ie reciept, I would check them yourself now.

What's up Shifty...yeah I had some questions on the X and then figured I'll make the jump over to TT and ask the pros. Good to see you in a different place. Seems like alot of guys from the X are into dirt as well.

Everything from the cases up was inspected and gone over prior to sale. I do need to get a feeler gauge though. If it stays warm enough here in Ga this weekend I'm going to try and get out for ride. One of my work buds has an 08 yz250f and he rides durhamtown. I may try Echeconee as well since it's local. You're not the first guy to recommend Rotella T to me...I'll prolly go with a full synthetic. I still have to pickup a pair of boots, googles, and pants. Keep it coming guys. Anything else to watch out for on these bikes?

I read up on the Leatt neck brace. That's completely new to me. How many of you guys run one of those? Seems like it could be a life saver!! Does it hinder your movement at all? I've never run a chest protector as well. Seems like I may be in for some more expenditures keep myself protected. What r u guys using to load ur bikes too? I drive a Silverado and will be just loading in the back of my truck. I currently use to ramps for loading my lawnmower, but it isn't ideal (for sure).