94 XR650L or 2003 XR650L?

Here's a question: Smarter to buy a 1994 XR650L with 3,800 miles for $2,000 or a 2003 with 7,500 miles for $3300?

No significant mods on either bike; not ridden hard.

Thoughts? Advice?

Go older and cheaper or newer for more $$$?

I'd go w/ the 94. $1300 will mod the pig nicely.

Here's a question: Smarter to buy a 1994 XR650L with 3,800 miles for $2,000 or a 2003 with 7,500 miles for $3300?

No significant mods on either bike; not ridden hard.

Thoughts? Advice?

Go older and cheaper or newer for more $$$?

Something to think about is that a bike sitting for several years is not a good thing. A little bit of moisture in the cylinder and you get rust pitting. My XRL's bore had significant rust scarring in the bore when I tore it down. It was low mileage... had clearly sat for long periods of time without getting run... then got run REALLY hard :ride:

At the end of the day... they are largely the same bike. One has less miles and is cheaper. :ride:

Depends also on where an older bike was stored. If it was stored in a climate controlled area that would probably make some difference. But if it has had multiple owners that would be hard to know. If it is a one owner bike it might be worth it to save over a grand. Especially if you don't plan on really racking up the miles on it.

Cool. Thanks. Very helpful.

So, ThumpNRed, your rust pitting . . . did your bike have any noticeable side effects? Smoke, lack of power? Any easy way to detect that? So your solution was to do a bigger bore job?

I'd say the newer bike, too. It's had less time for all the parts to fuse together or dry-rot. Most people don't store bikes properly.

Cool. Thanks. Very helpful.

So, ThumpNRed, your rust pitting . . . did your bike have any noticeable side effects? Smoke, lack of power? Any easy way to detect that? So your solution was to do a bigger bore job?

No symptoms at all. I didnt detect it until I pulled the jug off during the rebuild. The reason for the teardown was to replace a mangled countershaft. A healthy dose of "big bore" fixed the rust pits:smirk:

get the 94 then repair and upgrade as U use it

Thanks for all the insight, guys -- much appreciated!

Thanks for all the insight, guys -- much appreciated!

Let us know what you end up with. Pictures are a must!