Is this a decent helmet

I would have to say no, i would not put my head in any helmet that is not snell rated. If that is your price point and you have to stick to it i found this one that is on closeout, This is a very nice helmet for the same amount.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/2009-ONE-INDUSTRIES-TROOPER-HELMET-LECHIEN/?catalogId=112572

First off, I would not buy this helmet. as noted above snell cert at least minumum.

You're head is irreplaceable. Do your self a favor and atleast get a decent helmet.

Go to a local shop that stocks helmets like one industries. They are 169 dollars. Find the right size that fits your head and buy that instead of that cheapo you linked.

My nephew crashed wearing a one industries helemet and it did its job. How ever I prefer to have shoei or aria but sometimes the 4-600 dollar cost is unfeaseable. How ever 169 sure is feaseable.

First off, I would not buy this helmet. as noted above snell cert at least minumum.

You're head is irreplaceable. Do your self a favor and atleast get a decent helmet.

Go to a local shop that stocks helmets like one industries. They are 169 dollars. Find the right size that fits your head and buy that instead of that cheapo you linked.

My nephew crashed wearing a one industries helemet and it did its job. How ever I prefer to have shoei or aria but sometimes the 4-600 dollar cost is unfeaseable. How ever 169 sure is feaseable.

Agreed. My 661 performed as designed as well...

l_2aad3beb0db71c1691c30d77a9b56115.jpg

l_216747372e6051c0677574920e075d3f.jpg

I now run the Thor Force II's. For the price you're getting a great helmet. I've had the shoei's and arai's before but have really come to settle on the Force's. Cernic's has a sale on them for $159 a pop. I went out and picked up two of them.

Taken from an article in American Rider.

DOT-approved or Snell-approved? What does it matter to us average riders? Listen to the DOT helmet hawkers and they'll tell you DOT's best for the street, while Snell stewards say theirs is better than DOT. But there's one thing they all agree on: it's better to have a helmet with a sticker on it than one that has not been rated at all.

The arguments over one rating or another are far too convoluted and confusing to delve into here-I could write a book about it. Both ratings have their manifold advantages and disadvantages, but let's try to distill it down to the essentials.

Neither rating is perfect for every type of accident. Let's say that in an average motorcycle crash (if there is such a thing) a DOT helmet provides the best protection. In yet a different kind of accident a Snell helmet might offer superior protection. Okay, in one type of crash one type of helmet may save your life; in a different type of collision the other helmet is better. Problem is, we don't which type of accident we'll have, so we will never have exactly the perfect helmet for every type of accident. My solution is to wear either one and hope I don't have the wrong kind of accident.

I live in the UK and have several helmets. They all comply to the ECE 22.05 rating and are approved by the ACU to a gold standard. SNELL 2000 is not approved for Motorcycle helmets in the UK.

The main problem with DOT is that the manufacturer does it's own certification, then buys the DOT stickers to put on their product. SNELL actually tests the helmets.

As for the fitment question, you should always get the smallest helmet you can fit without hurting. All brands have different shapes, so trying one on before buying is a must.

Taken from an article in American Rider.

DOT-approved or Snell-approved? What does it matter to us average riders? Listen to the DOT helmet hawkers and they'll tell you DOT's best for the street, while Snell stewards say theirs is better than DOT. But there's one thing they all agree on: it's better to have a helmet with a sticker on it than one that has not been rated at all.

The arguments over one rating or another are far too convoluted and confusing to delve into here-I could write a book about it. Both ratings have their manifold advantages and disadvantages, but let's try to distill it down to the essentials.

Neither rating is perfect for every type of accident. Let's say that in an average motorcycle crash (if there is such a thing) a DOT helmet provides the best protection. In yet a different kind of accident a Snell helmet might offer superior protection. Okay, in one type of crash one type of helmet may save your life; in a different type of collision the other helmet is better. Problem is, we don't which type of accident we'll have, so we will never have exactly the perfect helmet for every type of accident. My solution is to wear either one and hope I don't have the wrong kind of accident.

I live in the UK and have several helmets. They all comply to the ECE 22.05 rating and are approved by the ACU to a gold standard. SNELL 2000 is not approved for Motorcycle helmets in the UK.

Any decent helmet is snell rated and dot rated. So i dont understand how one rating can be Better than the other. I have never seen a helmet that only had a snell rating...?

All helmets sold in the USA for road use must comply with the DOT regulations. These are the minimum standards. Some people misinterpret this, thinking that because the DOT regulation is the minimum standard it is minimum protection.

The SNELL memorial foundation is a "for profit" business, so what makes anyone think that they are unbiased? They charge a fee for each helmet with it's sticker on it.

In the UK, as well as British standard (BS) and ECE, we have the ACU standard, which rate motorcycle helmets for safety features. ACU Gold supposed to be the best for safety features.. This is also a for profit business and you can buy an ACU gold helmet sticker off ebay.