Horrible headshake

I realize that there are other threads that help address this problem, but I couldn't really get a straight answer, there was always too many questions left unanswered. So here we go.

I've had my bike since October (or thereabouts), and it's always had really bad headshake. I talked to my buddy's about it and they said that it's all in my head, but it sure as heck isn't. New years weekend I was at the dunes and was going 5th gear down a relatively hard-packed quad trail, with decent sized whoops, about a 1/4 mile from camp. I hit a small fist sized rock and it sent the bike into a lock to lock headshake. Luckily it recovered on it's own, but I was SCURRED. Fast forward to yesterday. I went riding with my brother and a couple of friends and it shakes bad on pretty much any kind of rocks. Small, big; as long as I'm above 3rd gear, it will deflect off of the rock and send back a small shake, which in turns slows me down. What adjustments should I be making here? I feel bad because I'm causing everybody to wait for me and I don't feel confident on my bike at all.

Head shake can sometimes be caused by to much rear preload. Also, besides having your proper spring rates installed, make sure your forks are high enough up in the triple clamps. 5mm up is generally a good starting point. Tired old suspension fluid can contribute as well.

Head shake can sometimes be caused by to much rear preload. Also, besides having your proper spring rates installed, make sure your forks are high enough up in the triple clamps. 5mm up is generally a good starting point. Tired old suspension fluid can contribute as well.

Wouldn't raising the forks up in the clamps make the headshake worse?

06 YZ250. I can give u the numbers of the revalve if you want

You need correct springs, adjust your race sag 100-103mm, fork tubes to std height. It would make the job easier if you can give your current valving specs, oil level etc..

Shock- Hsc-25 Lsc-15 Rbd-14 Sag-102 Fork- C-14 R-13 Sr-.44 O-350

I suggest you to test with these setting shock hc 2, lc 15, reb12, fork com 11, reb 10. 102mm race sag is ok if your free sag is ok. Adjust your fork tubes on std height.:ride:

You might want to check your steering stem nut under the upper triple clamp. I setup my bikes to where the the front end doesnt swap side to side while its on the center stand. I got headshake once 5th gear pinned choppy bumps but my scotts stabalizer stopped it within seconds. How heavy are you?

This might sound a bit crazy but I have had high speed headshake issues on my 98 cr 250 from too much air pressure in the front tire. I lowered it from 13 down to 10 and it went away.

I'll give it a try. I adjusted my suspension to Jusa's spces, but I'm just wondering; if the problem still persists, what should I adjust from there?

on my 01 cr250: reduced compression damping and lower air pressure on front helps reduce headshake. dropping forks in triple clamps helps (as does increasing rear sag). gripping tank with knees helps. I had high speed headshake even after all that. High speed headshake went away completely when i went to a Bridgestone 403 90/100/21- 9.2lb front tire, most 80/100 tires are just over 8 lbs. Heavier tire = increased gyroscopic effect = increased stability, especially at speed >50mph. ...alex

I'll give it a try. I adjusted my suspension to Jusa's spces, but I'm just wondering; if the problem still persists, what should I adjust from there?

When your suspensions have been serviced last time. Broken free pistons make there some headshake. How are your valving, std, near std or not std at all. Too soft settings cause headshake and clickers don't effect like they do with std settings.

There can be many reasons why your bike is unstable. "Dropping forks in triple clamps helps",increasing fok oil volume, increase fork com and reb, etc..some exampels. Shock can be the problem also. Get the new triple clamps with a smaller offset.