Relay issues (for aftermarket horn)

So bought a 12V 30 amp relay for my horn. But I can't get it to work. Thought maybe it was the relay brought it back, got a new one; same results. :ride:

So here's a few pictures, would love to know if I'm doing something wrong:

0214001452.th.jpg 0214001452a.th.jpg

Wire with the Red tape is fused going to the positive terminal of the battery.

Closest wire, all black is grounded.

Yellow wire going to the horn. Other horn wire is grounded.

Skinny black wire in the back is connected to the horn switch.

Checked all my wires, tested the horn and switch with multimeter, everything looks good. But it just won't work.

So bought a 12V 30 amp relay for my horn. But I can't get it to work. Thought maybe it was the relay brought it back, got a new one; same results. :ride:

So here's a few pictures, would love to know if I'm doing something wrong:

0214001452.th.jpg 0214001452a.th.jpg

Wire with the Red tape is fused going to the positive terminal of the battery.

Closest wire, all black is grounded.

Yellow wire going to the horn. Other horn wire is grounded.

Skinny black wire in the back is connected to the horn switch.

Checked all my wires, tested the horn and switch with multimeter, everything looks good. But it just won't work.

You can't always go by the pictures on the package. Make sure you have the correct wires connected to the correct pin..(85) = ground, 87= output to horn. etc....

I tried just going by the picture once and it didnt work had to read the tiny little numbers on the relay.

Have you tried bypassing the relay and applying your 12v to the lead going to the horn? This will test the horn and the ground on the horn itself.

Edited by MuddDawg

The DRZ horn button grounds the circuit to operate th horn. You need constant power to the relay control.

Battery to - 30

Power to horn - 87

orange wire to - 85

original horn wire (black with blue trace) - 86

What do the numbers mean?

?? What does that mean. Why would you take it back? Take what back? What does "built in the 90s" have to do with anything?

Does the horn not work at all? or is it becaue you did not wire it correctly?

From your description, you do not have power to the relay coil. The horn button does not apply power to the relay. It grounds the circuit. Take a look at he original horn: 1 orange wire, 1 black with blue trace wire. Those are the wires that need to go to the the relay terms 85 and 86 to operate the relay. Also check to make sure you are identifying the relay terminals correctly.

?? What does that mean. Why would you take it back? Take what back? What does "built in the 90s" have to do with anything?

Long story but when I posted that I had already returned the relay and gotten a new one from Canadian Tire (a crappy automotive/department store), they only had 2, which both didn't work for me. And when i returned it I found out it was an 2001 product with a one year warranty.

Does the horn not work at all?

The horn works. If I connect the stock wire it works. If I connect the wire going from the (+) battery to the horn and ground the other horn terminal the horn goes off...

or is it because you did not wire it correctly?

From your description, you do not have power to the relay coil. The horn button does not apply power to the relay. It grounds the circuit. Take a look at he original horn: 1 orange wire, 1 black with blue trace wire. Those are the wires that need to go to the the relay terms 85 and 86 to operate the relay. Also check to make sure you are identifying the relay terminals correctly.

I'm pretty sure I wired it correctly. Although I wired 85 to ground...

OK now i'm confused... This diagram (http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/neckyjive810/HORNWIREING.jpg) is completely different than the one that came with the relay: http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2131/0214001452a.jpg

Wait I get it, the only difference 85 to ground/horn orange wire (basically the same) and 30 and 87 are reversed (which probably doesn't matter.)

Either way I bought another relay from the bike shop today at lunch, should be working soon

EDIT: YAY works..

OK now i'm confused... This diagram (http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/neckyjive810/HORNWIREING.jpg) is completely different than the one that came with the relay: http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2131/0214001452a.jpg

Wait I get it, the only difference 85 to ground/horn orange wire (basically the same) and 30 and 87 are reversed (which probably doesn't matter.)

Either way I bought another relay from the bike shop today at lunch, should be working soon

EDIT: YAY works..

No it is actually the same....with the exception of the middle contacter. The diagram from the TT site is good ....Use it....And you should be good to go....

:ride::ride:

Erling