Front or rear brake

Curious as to which brake you guys use when racing. I come from road racing sport bikes, where we rarely ever touch the rear brake. Do mx racers use both front and rear at the same time?

I usually ride tighter tracks, and then the trails. but when racing, I use both pretty hard. I still prefer the front brake though.

all situational to me. depends on the curve, and room to stop.

Curious as to which brake you guys use when racing. I come from road racing sport bikes, where we rarely ever touch the rear brake. Do mx racers use both front and rear at the same time?
Actually us fast guys on sportbikes use both brakes, and on the dirt i use both as much as possible.

I use much more front brake then rear. I should use a bit more rear maybe, we mostly ride\race on sand tracks, and I try to keep my rear tire spinning a bit. I really don't know if it's the proper technique, but it is a habit I developed.

• Like 1

i use both pretty hard, but i go through 2-3 sets of rear pads to one set of front which isnt a bad thing, i use the rear brake to gain traction on skaty corners, and the settle the rear end through ruts and whoops, really the front is to slow you down, and the rear is to control and steer the bike, alot of slower guys hardly ever use the rear.

i would much rather ride with no front brake then no rear brake.

Alot of times when i'm riding a dirtbike I use the rear more than the front...

For the streetbike I used to use the rear more as well until I went to a real racetrack and learned the front break is more valuable than i thought!

Whaaaaaaaat? My dads always taught me on a dirtbike that you should use alot more front then back because the back brake will just make you skid and wont stop you where as the front will. Still use back but alot more front.

How and when to use the front brake is one of the hardest things to make a new motorcrosser understand IMO. The front brake is 75% of your stopping power and the rear brake should be use to guide or use as a rutter for the rear end. You need both and if you want to be Johnny Gofast then you need to master the front brake.

• Like 1

i would much rather ride with no front brake then no rear brake.

I tried that in a race at Glen Helen................yeah, not so much. :ride:

How and when to use the front brake is one of the hardest things to make a new motorcrosser understand IMO. The front brake is 75% of your stopping power and the rear brake should be use to guide or use as a rutter for the rear end. You need both and if you want to be Johnny Gofast then you need to master the front brake.

:ride:

With the four strokes you have three brakes, I use more front and engine than rear.

I usually ride tighter tracks, and then the trails. but when racing, I use both pretty hard. I still prefer the front brake though.

all situational to me. depends on the curve, and room to stop.

It’s true that the front brake has more stopping power than the rear brake but because of the track’s surface, bumps and different line selections the rear brake is used more often and harder. On the average pros will go through 3 sets of rear bake pads to 1 set of front. I teach to use the maximum efficiency you can with the rear brake (just before it locks up) and take up the extra stopping power with the front brake. This technique will give you more control and stability. If you use more front brake then rear this will cause all the steering and handling control to be on the front and because of the surface and bumps the front end will be more likely to knife in, fold or slide out. By getting the most you can out of the rear brake it will take much of the stress off the front end and give you more speed and control. :ride:

For all the details check out my All About Cornering DVD one sale now at 50% off. http://www.gsmxs.com/catalog/catalog_detail.asp?CID=176&CI=2915&PI=25681

ye this weekend i had no rear brake, and you don't relise how much you need it until its gone, i would go through 2-3 sets of rears to one front set, but the rear is just as important imo, without it's difficult to square of brms, slide into ruts, and you loose that bit of power, but i also use it to stand the bike up if i go to low in a rut, and to bring the nose down in the air.

but you will realise how much you need it, when it stops working completely

Actually us fast guys on sportbikes use both brakes, and on the dirt i use both as much as possible.

Meh, disagree with the sport bike comment... If you're hard on the front brake the rear has very little stopping power and can be very difficult to modulate. I'm sure there are plenty of riders that are faster than you who use the rear brake very little or not at all in the twistys. Personal preference not something that only fast riders do imo. In the dirt I also use the rear brake a lot.

• Like 1

I use 90% rear and actually using it on a track about 10% at most , i can run a tank out on the track and when i am done you can grab the rotors they are that cool , all i really do is tap the rear to set me up for a tight corner , otherwise i just use the engine or gears , it seems way faster to me to keep my momentum up , the pads i put on my R in November of 08 still look like brand new , same goes for trail riding , i have 2,000 miles of single track and desert on my X and when i put the pads and rotors on my R i put new ones on my X front and rear , the bike is a 06 and these were the first new pads since i bought the bike new and they still look as good as new ones in thickness

i only use them when i have to , instead i use gears and engine to do most of the work

Meh, disagree with the sport bike comment... If you're hard on the front brake the rear has very little stopping power and can be very difficult to modulate. I'm sure there are plenty of riders that are faster than you who use the rear brake very little or not at all in the twistys. Personal preference not something that only fast riders do imo. In the dirt I also use the rear brake a lot.

:thumbsup:

Looks like at least one fairly quick guy uses the rear brake in the twisties :thumbsup:

3222.jpg

The front is the best way to get rid of speed but deep in a corner the rear keeps things sorted out better. the front brake is a shortcut to the ground on off camber and slick flat turns IMO

Thanks to Gary for his response - I was beginning to think I was crazy for using a greater percentage of rear break in the dirt - I definitely couldn't maintain my pace through breaking bumps with more front break than rear applied...

• Like 1

Strange, I have been pitted with AMA riders (at Daytona CCS) that never touched their back brakes. I personally have only known 1 rider that used his rear brakes during road racing and he was a former flat tracker

It’s true that the front brake has more stopping power than the rear brake but because of the track’s surface, bumps and different line selections the rear brake is used more often and harder. On the average pros will go through 3 sets of rear bake pads to 1 set of front. I teach to use the maximum efficiency you can with the rear brake (just before it locks up) and take up the extra stopping power with the front brake. This technique will give you more control and stability. If you use more front brake then rear this will cause all the steering and handling control to be on the front and because of the surface and bumps the front end will be more likely to knife in, fold or slide out. By getting the most you can out of the rear brake it will take much of the stress off the front end and give you more speed and control. :thumbsup:

For all the details check out my All About Cornering DVD one sale now at 50% off. http://www.gsmxs.com/catalog/catalog_detail.asp?CID=176&CI=2915&PI=25681

Thank you and thanks to everyone for the feedback :ride:

• Like 1

Strange, I have been pitted with AMA riders (at Daytona CCS) that never touched their back brakes. I personally have only known 1 rider that used his rear brakes during road racing and he was a former flat tracker

I've found that most roadracers with a dirt background use both brakes. Most of the top pro's also use both brakes. The rear doesn't do much, but it does help. If you can reduce your laptimes by 0.3 by dragging the rear brake, it will help you win races.

Plenty of my mentors and friends have raced AMA too.