Moto Apps That Are Da $#@!??? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Thinking of getting an 08 CRF250X. Reliable enough? Rite for me?

Hi People, Im thinking about buying another bike. ATM Ive got an 08 Triumph Tiger 1050. I love it & its the best bike ever & all BUT Its a street bike, it doesn't go off road. I need something else...... Also, Im 27 yrs old & about 78kg's (172lb), Not sure if that's relevant.

I really love the Tiger on the road, but I'm starting to miss my old XR440 I used to have a couple bikes ago. I used to love going for long rides & seeing a dirt road & going for a cut up sesh off road, then continue on road. I miss that, Cause I cant do that with the Tiger. :ride:..... But i still love it. :lol:

I'm not looking to do long distance road rides on the dirt bike I might get, because that's what the Tiger is for!

But I do want the X so its road registrable, So I can ride it on the road down to the beach or out to the bush. But honestly, I probly will ride it on the road, quite a bit actually. But I'll be afraid of blowing the gearbox up from it though!

Isnt that what the yellow sticker on the rear fender is about? Don't ride in on the road too much or you'll bow the gear box up? I cant understand how the Super Moto CRF's guys get away with it!??

& Im no fast MotoX rider. I like to ride off road, But Not TOO fast! I don't want to break my wrist again! Call me a Trail rider, not a motox racer. That's why I had an XR, trail bike...... I like gravel roads mainly. But some boggy sand is ok. I definitely don't need the power of a CRF450.

My Brother has an 08 XR250L. You know, the good looking one that looks like a CRF? But still has the old reliable XR 250 engine withe electric start. He really wants me to get one of these or an XR so we can ride together.

Ive ridden that off road & it goes pretty good! I like it. Definitely feels like it goes better off road, its a guttless wonder on road!

Obviously the CRF250x will have quite allot more power than the XR. I think the 250 would suit me well.

But am I looking at a bike that is too MotoX for me? Am I out of my league? Am i more suited to another XR400 or XR250? The CRF is a high performance MotoX bike!

The reason why I'd prefer the CRF is because of the Suspension. If Im going to get another off road bike, I want the suspension to be top notch. That's what frustrated me on my XR. The suspension was pretty crap. & the Weight of the CRF too! The XR's are too heavy.

Ive always liked Honda, always had Honda off roader's, I don't want any other make. CRF/XR or nothing.

I think my main question is, Is the CRF250X reliable enough? I have no trouble with regular oil changes, as we do all our own mechanical work at home.

Im used to the bullet proof XR's. I don't want to get one & find out the bloody gearbox blows because it doesnt handle on the road rides, Or the piston is thin, it wares out in no time. Or something dies....

Are they unreliable?

I was searching youtube for bike reviews & one of the comments was the following:

My 2007 crf250x has been nothing more than an unreliable nightmare,i am a qualified motor mechanic and 35 yo trail rider not racer,firstly lets praise the bikes handling its great and the steering bike is quite comfortable and steering it through the bush is great,however the reliabilty is not great its almost laughable,valves well i dont really care about the valve issues its an easy fix,but 3 gearbox rebuilds ,2 stators,i countershaft stripped,2 camshafts,5 piston kits and 2 timing chains

When I hear that, it makes me want to forget about getting one & find an XR instead.

Does the X part make it anymore reliable? Its a de-tuned CRF250R isnt it? The X is slightly de-tuned to make it more reliable?

What do you recommend I do? CRF250X? Or XR?

CHEERS!! :ride:

Paul.

Paul,

The crf's do require more frequent maintenance on the motor, valves in particular and if you do not do it you will pay a heavy price. I was an xr rider from way back and i rude an x, I love the bike but i had to learn a whole new mentality in terms of maintenance. An xr is like no maintenance compared to the x. You should check valve clearance every 15 hours. Other that that i love this bike. I would not go back to xr. This is more of race style engine.

Elect start is also great if you have a bad knee like me.

So if you hate engine work i would go with an xr but if you want the latest technology and the light weight and speed and responsiveness of a race bike crf is the way to go, hope that helps.

Paul,

The crf's do require more frequent maintenance on the motor, valves in particular and if you do not do it you will pay a heavy price. I was an xr rider from way back and i rude an x, I love the bike but i had to learn a whole new mentality in terms of maintenance. An xr is like no maintenance compared to the x. You should check valve clearance every 15 hours. Other that that i love this bike. I would not go back to xr. This is more of race style engine.

Elect start is also great if you have a bad knee like me.

So if you hate engine work i would go with an xr but if you want the latest technology and the light weight and speed and responsiveness of a race bike crf is the way to go, hope that helps.

Sweet mate! Thanks very much for the info!!

Valve clearance every 15 hours hey? Anything else? How many hours do you get out of the oil?

Does it come with an OEM hour meter so you can keep track of the maintenance?

Na I really dont mind working on the bikes. Fine with that.

So If i keep up with the required maintanance, it wont blow up & I'll get a long life out of it?

I'll go have a good look at one at the local Honda Shop.

Cheers Mate! :ride:

You may get over 200 hrs from the valves or as little as 20...I got about 120...head work and SS valves cost about $450.

Cool thank for the info!

Today I went to the local Honda shop & had a look. They only had a brand new 250x there, I dont want a new one.... BUT, they did have a 2nd hand 2008 CRF450x! For very cheap too! $7700AUD - $6877USD.

I was talking to them about what I was after. & they pretty much convinced me that I would be better off with the 450. With a larger engine, it has more torque to get you through boggy sand & that makes it eaiser to ride than the 250. & Having more power I dont have to rev it as hard to get the same results. So the engine should last longer! & For what I'm capable of I will just putt around compared to a motox racer!

They said it was fine to take it for a ride. Ive Never ridden a motox bike before. Im used to how an XR handles....... OMG!!! THAT THING IS AMAZING!!!! I took it for about a 2 hour ride. Went trail riding with my Brother, he was on his XR250. That was Fun! Then we headed down the beach..... ****!!! WOW!!! I Have NEVER ridden a Bike that handles SO WELL on boggy sand before!!! It just glided through it like it wasnt there!!

On my XR440 I used to HATE boggy sand. It made me scared. I only ever took the XR on the beach a couple times & thought na stuff that. Too much like hard work. I'd rather stick to gravel roads.

But this CRF, I cant get over it! It fanged along the boggy beach sand like a dream & then I rode straight up the sand dunes! IT WAS SO EASY!!! It's like it floats the front wheel just on the sand surface, where was the XR's front wheel gets bogged in the sand & feels terrible! Like your going to come off all the time. & the CRF gets speed up quick! When the XR just bogs down in the sand & goes slow.

So I Freaken LOVED IT! It blew me away how good it was. I think I'll have to buy it!!:ride:

Here's a photo of it. :ride:

P2201843.jpg

P2201842.jpg

P2201841.jpg

cool to hear this. i told ya i love my crf compared to the xr. i have times when im goin through stuff and yellin aaahahhhhh yyyeee hhaaa cuz im flyin over stuff. good job man. now wathc those hours and valves. clean the air filter every ride. check the oil all the time.

Then youll be goin for the parts like me see mine.

CIMG0543.jpg

Can you imagine a dealer in the U.S. letting you take a two hour test ride on a dirtbike?

Can you imagine a dealer in the U.S. letting you take a two hour test ride on a dirtbike?

LOL...Heck, who would need to buy a bike. Just go test ride a different one every weekend!

It's funny you mention test riding cause I was in my local dealer and was very curious about the new Yamaha WR 250 and would love to ride it so I could compare it to my X, but no test ride for me!

Paul, congrats on your new bike. I think you made the right decision going with the 450x for the type of riding you do. I think the 250x would do ok on the street, but you'd probably need to gear it differently versus the riding you do on dirt. The 450x will give you the power to ride on the street and sand!

Can you imagine walking into a dealer in the US and being able to buy legit-plated CRFs off the dealer floor?

BTW to the OP.

Good choice on the 450. If you can only have one offroad bike and you're riding a lot of open terrain, the 450 is a better bet.

I just bought a brand new 2008 250x in the fall... have only riden it twice before the winter. i stored it in a heated showroom and everything.. i have always found that it doesnt start very well though.. i have just recently changed the oil and the oil filter and it still takes forver to start.. i dont know what to do

I just bought a brand new 2008 250x in the fall... have only riden it twice before the winter. i stored it in a heated showroom and everything.. i have always found that it doesnt start very well though.. i have just recently changed the oil and the oil filter and it still takes forver to start.. i dont know what to do

These bikes (as are most) are jetted really lean from the factory to pass emissions and are a bitch to start. Bump your pilot jet up to a 42 that will help alot.

Get a JD jet kit and adjustable fuel screw. I'm told it makes a world of difference...

Haven't tried it myself yet, although I will be doing it soon.

Get a JD jet kit and adjustable fuel screw. I'm told it makes a world of difference....

+ 1 WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. Get a JD Jet kit and follow the directions...you're starting problems will be gone and your bike will run better too.

Can you imagine walking into a dealer in the US and being able to buy legit-plated CRFs off the dealer floor?

BTW to the OP.

Good choice on the 450. If you can only have one offroad bike and you're riding a lot of open terrain, the 450 is a better bet.

No kidding. Having a stock plated 450x would be awesome! I wonder if there are differences (besides the signals etc.) between the plated and non plated models to make them more reliable on-road.

Our 2009 X starts fine if we do the following: turn gas on a minute or tow before starting, choke on, open throttle two or three times, and then push the button. Don't give it any gas until it warms up a little. These bikes are very cold blooded stock. We've installed the JD jetting kit, air box mod, and Yosh full exhaust system - what a difference!

I've had experience with brand new bikes having the pilot plug up with particles (on my KTM) although that wouldn't effect actual starting, just idling.

Good Luck!

Good luck to ya...I like my X,the cost of ownership is very high on these bikes:first you to spend some $$$ to get it race ready the stock motor and setting are pretty weak,you need a pipe,jetting,suspension work, maybe a cam than a skid plate, bark busters. It also takes a good bit of maintenance;older Xs need an updated head and you really need to stay on top of the values, you may need to change to SS valves.It cost me $2000 a year to keep this bike running.I'm thinking KTM 2 stroke next year

No, I can't imagine a dealer in the U.S. allowing a two hour test ride. I also can't imagine being allowed to ride a motorcycle on the beach. Sounds like life is good in Australia.

• Like 1