xr400r usd coversion help pls? & any other mods too!

the cheapest way that has become available is to buy the bearings. I bought the stem from emig which i feel is the better way to go vs. machining the cr stem because IMO the machined CR stem walls would be too thin for my liking. The emig stem is thicker than the stock stem ever was and it worked perfectly.

Other mods, do the gordon's mods. easy, most are free except air filter and jets. with the exhaust, instead of boring a bunch of small holes around the baffle (1998+) take a 1 3/4" -1 7/8" hole saw and cut out the baffle while leaving the spark arrestor intact. Sounds good, makes good power. compared to an aftermarket pipe, it is about 80% of the power increase that you could get from a GOOD slip on. and since it is free, unless you need to get the hole saw, it is a very good deal. sounds really cool actually, deep tone and plenty quiet.

Your XR front caliper and brake line is about 5 to 6 inches longer than the CR and will bolt right up. If you are going to switch to a front number plate you will want to switch to the CR set up. If you are wanting to keep your headlight, use your stock line............this will also save you some money.

The search feature here is your friend. This topic has been covered on countless occasions. There are several methods that have been used to accomplish your goal.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=26297

First off...

Got to say your 4hundy is a sweet bike. Very well laid out ?

So sweet, that it's got me looking for one used... locally here in San Diego. Because I plan on doing just about what you've done in MODs... USD forks, wheels, shrouds...etc.etc.

Then, I'm going to plate it, and ride it thousands of miles through our deserts. I'm thinking it's a cheaper solution than adding those miles to my current 450X. Not sure the "fun factor" will be there as much, but I'm counting on pure reliability of that XR400 motor.

And I know I've looked through some of the threads linked here... and it's as simple as new bearings (and some minor tweaks) to install USD forks onto the XR400? Really? that easy? I've got a set of '05 450R forks (entire front end actually - wheel, brakes, lever, etc) ready to bolt on if thats the case. So please... can you put that question to rest once and for all? I'm dying over here and want to do this yesterday (I'm super pumped for this "project")

... Also, I'm going to go gander at your "garage" to see if your bike is there, and listed with it's MODs as I too would like to do the tank shrouds and other upgrades that you've done. Very clean and sano bike! :ride:

First off...

Got to say your 4hundy is a sweet bike. Very well laid out ?

So sweet, that it's got me looking for one used... locally here in San Diego. Because I plan on doing just about what you've done in MODs... USD forks, wheels, shrouds...etc.etc.

Then, I'm going to plate it, and ride it thousands of miles through our deserts. I'm thinking it's a cheaper solution than adding those miles to my current 450X. Not sure the "fun factor" will be there as much, but I'm counting on pure reliability of that XR400 motor.

And I know I've looked through some of the threads linked here... and it's as simple as new bearings (and some minor tweaks) to install USD forks onto the XR400? Really? that easy? I've got a set of '05 450R forks (entire front end actually - wheel, brakes, lever, etc) ready to bolt on if thats the case. So please... can you put that question to rest once and for all? I'm dying over here and want to do this yesterday (I'm super pumped for this "project")

... Also, I'm going to go gander at your "garage" to see if your bike is there, and listed with it's MODs as I too would like to do the tank shrouds and other upgrades that you've done. Very clean and sano bike! :ride:

THat ALOOP kit uses a 2.0 gallon gas tank. Not the hot ticket for desert riding I'd think. ?

ya I noticed that when I did a bit more research on it... no worries, it'll be one more item not needed (money saved).

I took my A-loop kit off after a few trips back tot the truck on fumes.

Looks great, nice seat, but 2 gallons didn't cut it out west... but, I now have 3 bike sin one, A-loop, stocker, and the super tanker acerbis 5.8 gallon. that one may be too much...