Sign in to follow this  

Project KDX 220R - The Rebuild

Got the ProBend's back on, anyone who has them knows how rock solid these things are.

I had a head on the other day, and my Moose contour guards destroyed the other dude's pro bends, distorting the metal and everything..... Not a good experience....

keep up the great work. i'm starting to get an itch to work on the kdx again.

that's some great work. i love seeing a kdx get this much love. they're great bikes. very under-rated.

by the way, are you going to paint the frame??.....JUST KIDDING :thumbsup:

Nick,

I also have been watching and enjoying this thread for some time... inspiring me to get a project bike of my own.!!! :thumbsup:

dan

Today was uneventful, there's not much more I CAN do until my parts get here from RB... 9 days and counting so far...

Got my main bearings into the case halves:

dsc05202n.jpg

My stator rewind was too big, so I removed one whole layer of wire. Turns out one layer is about 8 feet! I decided in order to have the biggest wrap able to fit under there, I wasn't going to epoxy it. Got it all soldered up and installed. It fits well with about 10 thou clearance on each side! :thumbsup:

dsc05207.jpg

dsc05208j.jpg

dsc05209.jpg

I was REALLY bored, so I decided to mount up the headlight and bar pad. That took a whopping 3 minutes. Aside from clutch and throttle cable adjustment, everything forward of the stem is now 100% complete and torqued.

dsc05204.jpg

dsc05206o.jpg

Have a good weekend!

Who else does head work in canada though?

I want to get my squish done some day, at least now I know if I do go through RB that it's going to take at least a couple weeks!

That sucks about western union, he must have good reasons for choosing that as the only method of payment, maybe too many people ripping him off?

I deleted my previous post, in case it sounded too harsh. Just got all the parts.

Anyway, opened up the parts box and WOW. While it did take a LONG time to get here, the end result is MINT! The head is a work of art, so is the carb. The crank was rebuilt really well too, and the packaging was superb. Everything was wrapped up nicely, and well padded. The documentation is great too, fantastic instructions on what jets are in there, how to tune it, etc. I didn't bring it all home to take pics, but tomorrow this thread is getting a BIG update, so I'll include plenty then.

Edited by Slick_Nick

I don't know what your previous post was, what I can say is that Mr. Black is very professional at his work and it is generally extremely timely. I have never heard anyone complain about the quality of his work. His customer support after sale, in my experience, like his work guide/documentation is also excellent. I'm sorry about the time delay and I don't know the details, but sometimes life happens. I know once you get that motor together you will be impressed with the results and not regret the extra time you had to wait.

what kind of car is that in the pictures

2002 Mazda Protege. Turbo'd fully built engine, the works...

man, i would love to get my hands on your KDX haha, even if it was just for a 1 day ride, that would be awesome!

Sweet bike dude!

Didn't sound harsh at all :thumbsup:

I wanna see this porting work, as does everyone else!

nice job. just a quick question

on these kawis (im rebuildin an 85) the crank seals can only be driven in from one side. did the dry ice really shrink the main bearings enough for them to drop in? did u use any heat on the case?

if anyone is interested i have a KDX220 for cheap. pm me