Sign in to follow this  

CRF 450X...... Wow!!!

Hi, I recently just posted a question about the CRF 250X if the appropriate forum. I asked if it would be suited to me as I was thinking of buying one.

Thinking of getting an 08 CRF250X. Reliable enough? Rite for me?

ATM Ive also got a 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050. I love it, best bike ever. But its a road bike. Not off road at all!.... I actually took the Tiger off road a couple weeks ago. Went through a little bit of boggy sand & shit myself! It felt terrible! So I quickly got the hell outa there!.... That kinda made me sad. I miss my XR....

So instead of more questions on the forum, I went to the local Honda shop & had a look. They only had a brand new 250x there, I don't want a new one.... BUT, they did have a 2nd hand 2008 CRF450x! For very cheap too! $7700AUD - $6877USD.

I was talking to them about what I was after. & they pretty much convinced me that I would be better off with the 450. With a larger engine, it has more torque to get you through boggy sand & that makes it easier to ride than the 250. & Having more power I dont have to rev it as hard to get the same results. So the engine should last longer! & For what I'm capable of I will just putt around compared to a motox racer!

They said it was fine to take it for a ride. Ive Never ridden a motox bike before. Im used to how an XR handles (I had a XR440 for several years a while ago)....... OMG!!! THAT THING IS AMAZING!!!! I took it for about a 2 hour ride. Went trail riding with my Brother, he was on his XR250. That was Fun! Then we headed down the beach..... ****!!! WOW!!! I Have NEVER ridden a Bike that handles SO WELL on boggy sand before!!! It just glided through it like it wasnt there!!

On my XR440 I used to HATE boggy sand. It made me scared. I only ever took the XR on the beach a couple times & thought na stuff that. Too much like hard work. I'd rather stick to gravel roads.

But this CRF, I cant get over it! It fanged along the boggy beach sand like a dream & then I rode straight up the sand dunes! IT WAS SO EASY!!! It's like it floats the front wheel just on the sand surface, where was the XR's front wheel gets bogged in the sand & feels terrible! Like your going to come off all the time. & the CRF gets speed up quick! When the XR just bogs down in the sand & goes slow.

I So Freaken LOVED IT! It blew me away how good it was. I think I'll have to buy it!!:ride:

But in no way is this bike to replace the Tiger! Its an addition, not replacement. The Tiger is BRILLIANT on the road & Shit off road! The CRF is terrible on the road & BRILLIANT off road!! I will have the best of both worlds!

Here's a photo of it. :ride:

P2201843.jpg

P2201842.jpg

P2201841.jpg

Edited by hxr400

nice!

looking good. got a Two Brothers exhaust already:thumbsup:

Cheers mate! But na thats the only thing I dont like about it. Its too bloody loud!

I prefer it to be quieter. Maybe a nice note, but not as LOUD as that thing was.

For me, its got that much power that putting quieter muffler would not affect it.

I'll see what deal I can get with the muffler when I get it.

:ride:

Cheers mate! But na thats the only thing I dont like about it. Its too bloody loud!

I prefer it to me quieter. Maybe a nice note, but not as LOUD as that thing was.

For me, its got that much power that putting quieter muffler would not affect it.

I'll see what deal I can get with the muffler when I get it.

looks like you need the quiet core insert.

Also, that's an after market header pipe is it?

Compare:

P220183s7.jpg

P220183s.jpg

What does this mean for me? Maybe it came with the muffler?

Does anyone know if there is a baffle for this muffler to make it quieter?

looks like you need the quiet core insert.

Oh Sweet!!! You can get one of them!??

I Need it! :ride:

The Heck with the X.

LOOK AT THE XR250L!!!

XR400 frame, USD forks, CR type ergos, plastics.........

I want one of those!

Haha sweet mate! Glad you like it. Its my Brothers. He used to have an 01 XR250R. But sold it when he bought his street bike.... Then he missed it & bought the XR250L. Its really good!

But I prefer the CRF, it handles better with allot more power.:ride:

I have another Noob question.

When I had my XR, I never could do a wheelie on dirt or gravel. If i tried to, I'd lean rite back, give it to her. But the back wheel would just spin & would accelerate. No wheelie.

I thought oh well the XR's must be too heavy. The CRF's must be able to do it easy.

But when I took this CRF for a spin, I tried & the exact same thing happened! I'd lean back, give it to her & the back wheel just spins & it accelerates!

On road its Easy! Its hard not to!

But how do you do a wheelie off road? :ride:

the CRF250X is a great bike (I have the 06 model) and it is freakin awesome. I can only imagine how good the 450 would be. I swapped out the stock muffler for an FMF Factory 4.1 stainless and gave a great power boost. Good luck with your decision.

the CRF250X is a great bike (I have the 06 model) and it is freakin awesome. I can only imagine how good the 450 would be. I swapped out the stock muffler for an FMF Factory 4.1 stainless and gave a great power boost. Good luck with your decision.

Cheers mate! :ride:

I wouldnt say its a terrible road bike. it hammers on the road. you gota watchout you dont highside it goin round corners.

when i took it for a ride i was goin around a corner and accelerated like i normally would on my XR250 and the back wheel came out, spun/slid about 2 feet or so. i was like 'whoa shit' and let the throttle off abit to get it back in line. was fun on road.

gota agree with me brother, it was bloody good on boggy sand even compared to my 250. just confidence inpiring steering. although theres nothing wrong with the 250 steering. the 450 is just that much more stable.

I wouldnt say its a terrible road bike. it hammers on the road. you gota watchout you dont highside it goin round corners.

when i took it for a ride i was goin around a corner and accelerated like i normally would on my XR250 and the back wheel came out, spun/slid about 2 feet or so. I was like 'whoa shit' and let the throttle off abit to get it back in line. was fun on road.

Gota agree with me brother, it was bloody good on boggy sand even compared to my 250. just confidence inpiring steering. although theres nothing wrong with the 250 steering. the 450 is just that much more stable.

What I mean is, Its Terrible on the road in comparison to the Tiger!

For what it is, its good & fun on the road! But compared to the real thing, its terrible.

What I probly should of said is, Terrible Touring bike! But Bloody Brilliant dirt bike! I LOVE IT!! :ride:

I was just looking for radiator braces for the CRF. To see whats available & whats best.

After a while of searching I found Mohard Radiator Guards. & thought, wow they look allot like the guards that are already on it! (I thought it only had ally guards, not braces as well)

Then I had another look at the photo & Its Already got Rad Brace/Guard on it!! :ride:

P220183r7.jpg

Does anyone recognise what make this Rad Brace/Guard is?

Thanks guys!!

I just went in today & gave em a $500 deposit. ITS MIIIINE!!!:ride:

They are going to sort out a few things before I pick it up. Give it a general clean up. (after I dirtied it on my ride!) Change the Oil's, clean the air filter, Put new grips on it, cause i told them they were shit & I didn't like them. I want genuine CRF grips.

Note the grips, the wire holding them on & how I dislike them....

P220184w0.jpg

& they are to sort out the cracked exhaust bracket where it bolts onto the rear of the frame. Circled in the photo below. & not sure if its stainless or Titanium Im pretty sure its stainless.

P2201837a.jpg

& find a baffle for the 2 Bro's muffler, too freaken loud!

Then I'll pick it up next week! Cant wait!! :ride:

Edited by hxr400

Congratulations! I wish I could plate my 450X in California

What!? You cant? But its an X! I thought that was the whole point!? :ride:

Well I guess your laws are just different over there huh. What about XR400's can you licence them over there?

The question a few posts up..."How to wheelie an X?"

Shoot, all I do is grip it and rip it and the thing stands up basically on demand.

Nice bike! Congrats!