I have to get over this, it's KILLING me....

"I have to get over this, it's KILLING me...." You're talking about the smoking right? cant reall be all high and mighty as I smoke too. But i've cut back, and hope to be smoke free real soon. I don't realy get arm pump, but if I were smoke free I could definitaly test out a new steering stabilizer...EVERY MONTH.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some great info on here. But, along with all the physiological, I think the psychological (nervous energy) plays a roll. Sometimes if I haven't ridden in awhile or I'm racing and know I'm not fully prepared, I'll get temporary arm pump. Once I settle down, it goes away. So for me I think nerves play a roll, causing the death grip.

When I ride relaxed, I tend to barley grip the bar, steering by pushing with the palms rather than pulling with my fingers. With a lot of sports that you're swinging something (bat, club, racket) relaxed hands allow for better speed and control. Like holding a bird, tight enough that it won't get away, but not tight enough to squish it.

For foods, eat allot of carbs the night before, like spagettie or other red sauce pastas. Then, the morning of, eat bagels and granola bars and a banana or two. Carbs are your friends, but greasy, meaty protein filled foods are not because your body has to work extremely hard to break them down...You gotta dump the soda and smokes too...

carbs are good but getting cards from bread and pasta's are not good. You should get your carbs from vegetables.

Read up on a Paleo diet or The Zone diet. Processed anything, including bread is not really good for you, it turns to sugar and messes with insulin in your body.

I have been on the zone diet for a month or so and noticed my energy level go up dramatically. I work out 2 times a day and sleep better than ever. It has changed the way I feel more than going to the gym ever did.

What, who gets carbs from their vegetables?? Look at the diet of a world class athlete just before their events or practices. Michael Phelps for example. Look at the foods high school and college wrestlers eat before matches, all carbs, mainly grain base, not vegetable based.My mom is doing a similar diet to what you have posted, and it is working, but she is not doing anything that requires the energy excursion of a fast, long hare scramble. I agree my choices are not ideal for every day, but they are optimal for the instant boost of energy one will need to compete in an event like the person in question does.

On non race days your diet should be different. Really, try and stay away from processed food, that are packed with sugar, fat, unneeded carbs and offer little good in return. Vegetables are your greatest ally, even though they don't offer a great energy boost.. Preparing your own meals, and checking the ingredients nutritional values can ensure your success in a diet.

"I have to get over this, it's KILLING me...." You're talking about the smoking right? cant reall be all high and mighty as I smoke too. But i've cut back, and hope to be smoke free real soon. I don't realy get arm pump, but if I were smoke free I could definitaly test out a new steering stabilizer...EVERY MONTH.

Here is a off the wall bizarre post if the ever was one, I smoke and have now moved to the e-cig stuff(green smoke is the one you want) but still like the real deal too, at altitude smokers have more stamina and staying power because their bodies are used to dealing with less oxygen particles in the blood stream, this is esp. true when climbing kilimanjaro, K2 and Everest.

however in a cardio environment like enduro ....... - - You screwed, unless you are what we termed in the military(para units) smoking fit - it's been 17 years out the mil; and I think it was a way for us for make an excuse for it...

As a smoker you only a puff away from a box a day!

What, who gets carbs from their vegetables?? Look at the diet of a world class athlete just before their events or practices. Michael Phelps for example. Look at the foods high school and college wrestlers eat before matches, all carbs, mainly grain base, not vegetable based.My mom is doing a similar diet to what you have posted, and it is working, but she is not doing anything that requires the energy excursion of a fast, long hare scramble. I agree my choices are not ideal for every day, but they are optimal for the instant boost of energy one will need to compete in an event like the person in question does.

On non race days your diet should be different. Really, try and stay away from processed food, that are packed with sugar, fat, unneeded carbs and offer little good in return. Vegetables are your greatest ally, even though they don't offer a great energy boost.. Preparing your own meals, and checking the ingredients nutritional values can ensure your success in a diet.

hehe

I do not need to have a "race day" eating plan and a "non race day" eating plan. I have all the energy I would need without loading up on anything before, during, or after a race. It's all there all the time.

besides the obvious things that need to change, I have already told you how to help it.

BREATHE!!! Focus on it at the start of the race. it will help you relax on the start and allow more oxygen to get where it needs to. Learn to grip more with your legs at the start. Really, I think you can help much of it just making a conscience effort to relax your grip and ride smoother at the start, then once you start to feel warmed up, you can then take off.

But really, your bad habits are contributing.

A stabilizer can actually contribute to arm pump.

You might be on to something. I DO drink sodas. Usually daily I might have 3-4 cans of Dr Pepper or Mtn Dew. Plus greasy junk food like McDonalds or a Pizza or something along those lines.

On Race days, I usually have a Dr pepper and a Pop Tart for breakfast early in the morning, then at least one more Soda on the way to the race. I don't drink much if any water till I am on the bike and riding. And I usually get thirsty right away once the flag drops and I start racing.

I also smoke about a pack a day, and by the time a race starts I might have had anywhere from 5-10 cigarettes.

I know I probably grip the bars too tightly.

I already have Flexx Bars and have them set up ultrasoft. And I use the pillowtop grips.

Was thinking of getting a scotts stabilizer. I had a GPR on a previous bike and didn't like it because it was just as stiff at slow bar movement as with fast bar movement, and it seemed like it was more work in the tight stuff than it was worth. I left it on the bike when I sold it. The scotts seem to be progressive, being nearly invisable at slow bar movement speed and kicking in when the bars are moved fast such as from head shake etc....

I know I should stop smoking and drinking DR peppers, but that will be tough habits to break. Would not drinking any soda for 24 hours before a race be much of a help?

I rarely drink beer, don't do any other drugs, and do not drink monsters or redbulls or anything like that.

Dude, you may consider laying off the Hare Scrambles, they could interfere with your nutritional lifestyle STM (snicker to myself)?

Oh, I thought you were saying my post was bizzare. I get the smoking fit thing, its just not me. Been meaning to try the e-cig things. The high altitude thing is a bit of a stretch though, seems like if youre handicapped so to say at a lower altitude then you would be just as handicapped at a higher alt.

Oh, I thought you were saying my post was bizzare. I get the smoking fit thing, its just not me. Been meaning to try the e-cig things. The high altitude thing is a bit of a stretch though, seems like if youre handicapped so to say at a lower altitude then you would be just as handicapped at a higher alt.

I thought so too, however becuase your body is used to using less oxygen - it just makes breathing easier - go figure.

I just don't think I would try smoking where the air is already thin... (Blackout)

You know Its funny, I never even notice a diff. in breathing when I'm up in a higher elevation, I thought it was because I grew up at a higher elevation. If its because of smoking well then I guess I need to get my bike hooked on smoking. Jetting that works good at 4000 ft isnt so good a 8-11k.

I think some focus should be on riding technique as well. Try gripping the bike more with your thighs/knees. That will allow you to relax a bit of arm/hand grip. When standing grip the beast with your knees. I think that by concentrating on that you will gradually become more as one with the bike and the arm pump will dissipate.