who went from yz 125to yz 250 or vice versa

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you're purely going to the track then the 125 would be ok but if you're going into the bush I'd rather have the 250. I rode a 125 in the desert around Las Vegas for 4 years. The 125 did just fine but it demanded that you be a better rider than your friends on bigger bikes. Because of its light weight it would get bounced around easier than my friends of 250's. Hillclimbs are also less forgiving than on a 250 and if you want to spend any amount of time in the sand dunes forget about it. 125's are ticking time bombs in the dunes if not jetted really well for them. I melted my 125 in about 10 min dune riding. I think it was the jetting, either way, it's a lot of load to put on a small engine. I bought a 450 once my 125 melted and love the excess power.

coming off a 250F the 125 will feel very light, but underpowered. Furthermore, the power delivery of a 125 will probably be overwhelming for someone used to the lazy bikes. If I were you I'd probably get a 250. It will feel a lot like your 250F with a shorter but more powerful powerband.

Totally depends on what you're looking for / liked & disliked about your 250f. I just stepped up to a 250 from a 125, and I have to say the 250 is where it's at. The only reason you would go with a 125 is because of weight, and a 250 2 stroke should be lighter than your 250f. Only positives on the 125 is it will wind more and be more fun in that way. I also loved the 6 speed gearbox. With that said, the 125 will teach you to be a better rider. You'll have to run all the gears and shift correctly. I weigh 135, so the 250 shouldn't be overpowering, though you probably won't be using all the power (efficiently) until you've really got the hang of things.

yeah i probably was going to go 250 anyway, i have rode a cr 250 before

i just wanted to hear if anyones gone from a 250 to a 125 and why

only reason is cost and maintenance, my bikes value is going down every year and i've been lucky for my 9 year hi po fourstroke to have nothing happen to me yet

plus i like how 2 strokes are cheap and easy two work on

those who own either bikes could you give me a idea of your maintenance schedule

Does a 15hp chinese bike count?

If your wondering about how you may or may not like the power difference for me it was huge but completely managable. A few rides in and I was doing fine on the 250 even though I hadn't had a two stroke in 15 years.

Totally depends on what you're looking for / liked & disliked about your 250f.

With that said, the 125 will teach you to be a better rider.

You'll have to run all the gears and shift correctly.

I agree.

I ride 75% track- 25% desert. I went from a 250f to a 125. I weigh 180 and it pulls me up and down no problem. Keep in mind it has a pro circuit pipe, vforce reeds, a bigger sprocket, and minor engine porting. I have been thinking about moving up to a yz250 but then I realized it would just make me lazy. I can clear just about any jump at the track. It takes every bit of throttle and corner speed to make it, but that's why it's so fun. Last time out I accidentally lifted the front wheel for about 40ft coming out of a corner. I've never had so much fun riding :ride:

I have to say that now that I've stepped up to a 250, I would never go back. I ride 99% in the desert, and a bit of mountain / enduro riding. Haven't been to the mountains with the 250 yet, but I would never go back. Where before I was running 6th gear pinned all too often, just to keep up, or having it revved to the moon for managing tight single track up and downs, I can now relax a bit and chug it up hills if need be. I can also over power turns where I couldn't before, pop wheelies with a blip of the throttle, and flat track like nothing. I did love the maneuverability of my 125, which I partially lost and like I said before... the 125 makes you that much better at everything. Makes you learn how to really use the clutch, go through the gears, and keeping up with 250's and 450's keeps your spark plug nice and clean :ride:

I'm going to prob go the 250 as you 125 guys have said you have to keep it wide open to do things, i think that would take its toll on the motor

and the main reason I'm selling the 250f is less and easier maintenance and some more power,

i never ride track so racing doesn't matter so a nice big powerful bike will be fun

I'm going to prob go the 250 as you 125 guys have said you have to keep it wide open to do things, i think that would take its toll on the motor

and the main reason I'm selling the 250f is less and easier maintenance and some more power,

i never ride track so racing doesn't matter so a nice big powerful bike will be fun

Read this related and recent thread here at Yami 2T:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=878142

because i'am tring to decise between the 2 , i'am coming off a 01 yz 250f

could i just hear some opinions of how you liked or disliked the bike in anyways

iam 6'1 and 145 pounds

Im 6'4, 220 lbs and own/ ride both! They both scoot just fine with me on them. Remember the 125 is basically the same hp wise as the 250f. The 250f just puts the power to the ground a little better. The 125 struggles on some very steep stuff but other than that it performs amazing even on the track when suspension is right and jetting is spot on. Truth is I hear alot of people say the 125 is underpowered! Maybe it is maybe its not, but I dont often see many people ride a 125 to its full potential. 90% of the people in the world that ride mx bikes couldnt ride a 125 to its full potential. The 125 def beats the 250 if your riding for the fun factor, but if your going to race seriously get the 250. Just my opinion but the 125 is the most fun bike ever to ride. Thought you might want to see this before you make your decision. I know you said you werent racing but they do MOVE!?

Not a yz but you get the idea... someone ride a 125 like this and Ill be a firm believer that you could actually use more bike between your legs.

my first big bike was a yz250f and i went to an 05 yz125 it was an awesome bike and depeding on your skill level it will make you a better rider and make you really ride the bike! im 6ft 140 so i can relate to you after my 125 i went back to a 250f and got rid of that and i ride a 05 yz250! But like i said depending on your skill level id get a yz125 it WILL make you a better rider and you will have tons of fun!

i change my mind so quick lol

since i just seen the prices of 125's i might be going for one if you all say they are that fun to ride

over time i'll pimp it and sell it for a god price, get a 250 unless i like it too much.

really depends on what i find first as lots of bike in my price range are rolling junk

Im 6'4, 220 lbs and own/ ride both! They both scoot just fine with me on them. Remember the 125 is basically the same hp wise as the 250f. The 250f just puts the power to the ground a little better. The 125 struggles on some very steep stuff but other than that it performs amazing even on the track when suspension is right and jetting is spot on. Truth is I hear alot of people say the 125 is underpowered! Maybe it is maybe its not, but I dont often see many people ride a 125 to its full potential. 90% of the people in the world that ride mx bikes couldnt ride a 125 to its full potential. The 125 def beats the 250 if your riding for the fun factor, but if your going to race seriously get the 250. Just my opinion but the 125 is the most fun bike ever to ride. Thought you might want to see this before you make your decision. I know you said you werent racing but they do MOVE!?

Not a yz but you get the idea... someone ride a 125 like this and Ill be a firm believer that you could actually use more bike between your legs.

+2 million! :ride: ....i can only concur?

Geeze, how did you come up in describing that well? Are you in-love lately haha!?