Sign in to follow this  

California Castaic Green Sticker Area

Looking for some help on a green sticker area in the Castaic area other than Gorman or Rowher. My dad just moved from Pheonix over off Lake Hughes road and I looking for something local around there to ride. It seems there could be something. Need a little guidence.

Thanks and please PM me with anything you may have and would like to ride these areas with anyone who has knowledge.

Thanks again

You can allways just go up over the hill and head out to the desert ! Or the mountain range that goes from Gorman to Rowher there are fire roads that you can ride on,I think we got the map from the ranger at Rowher and it shows you all the trails you can ride. If you want a cool ride you should try the trail on the top of the mountain in Santa Barbara, at the end of ( East Camino Cielo R.D.) Drive to the end of the pavement and follow the dirt road for a mile to the staging area and the trail starts across the road from there and it goes for about 14miles and it dead ends. Along the way there is an old MX track back there you can have a full day of fun on. This place also has it share of rocks and a few hills you can ride. We talked to the ranger up there Yesterday and he said you did not need any kind of parking pass up there, the bad thing about it is that the drive up the hill sucks, but it is worth the drive.

Edited by Tumble Weed

Looking for some help on a green sticker area in the Castaic area other than Gorman or Rowher. My dad just moved from Pheonix over off Lake Hughes road and I looking for something local around there to ride. Thanks again

Tons of riding all over Angeles Forest for Dual Sport but legal Green Sticker riding is limited to SVRA and Rowher Open area, next closest Cal City & Jawbone.

Edited by Countdown

Yeah i just kept looking around and thinking there should be something between Rower and Castaic and between Castaic and Hungry valley. I'll find something sooner or later. I will just end up at Rower or Gorman for now, what about around drinkwater resevoir?

Yeah i just kept looking around and thinking there should be something between Rower and Castaic and between Castaic and Hungry valley. I'll find something sooner or later. I will just end up at Rower or Gorman for now, what about around drinkwater resevoir?

Did you get a copy of the Angeles Froest Map? That is the first place to "look".

there is alot of great single track all around the hills in castaic. i live on parker which is one street from your dad. look into a staging area called ruby canyon. its about 8 miles up lake hughes road past the lake. you can get into tons of trails from there and even ride up to the rock in for lunch and refuel at the gas station and its green sticker legal all the way there..

there is alot of great single track all around the hills in castaic. i live on parker which is one street from your dad. look into a staging area called ruby canyon. its about 8 miles up lake hughes road past the lake. you can get into tons of trails from there and even ride up to the rock in for lunch and refuel at the gas station and its green sticker legal all the way there..

The only problem is that zero of those trails are legal. The only legal riding there is on fire roads. Not exactly what I think you are looking for. These areas are getting more attention from the LA county Sheriff. Yes, they patrol on dirt bikes. I have no knowledge of their enforcement level. It could be anything from a warning (I doubt it) to impound and an expensive ticket.

Somehow the prospect of having to run from the cops isn't what I'm looking for when I go on a ride.

Is the Old Ridge route still open?

Not single track, but always liked that DS ride to kill a couple of hours

after work when I lived in Stevenson Ranch

Edit, That just brought back memories of that pig kick start dr650s..Always hated that pos thing :thumbsup:

Wayne

Posting your illegal user made trails on the open Internet and stating that you ride Green Sticker bikes on county roads is the quickest way I know of to get the Anti's to pressure the forest service and sheriff to come looking for you. Telling them the street you live on really makes it easy.

Is the Old Ridge route still open?

Not single track, but always liked that DS ride to kill a couple of hours

after work when I lived in Stevenson Ranch

Edit, That just brought back memories of that pig kick start dr650s..Always hated that pos thing :thumbsup:

Wayne

Yes there is a fun Dual Sport loop form Rowher to Gorman and back using Old RR plus a long secition of PCT that the built but then did not use when they turned it down toward 3-points. See my SMTS tracks on GPSXchange.com

Edited by Countdown

Posting your illegal user made trails on the open Internet and stating that you ride Green Sticker bikes on county roads is the quickest way I know of to get the Anti's to pressure the forest service and sheriff to come looking for you. Telling them the street you live on really makes it easy.

Wow, with all the crap (crime) going on its a shame shame shame this is what its coming down to.

Thanks for everything Gentlemen! Hey you can get Bouquet and San Fran from the 5 frwy side so if someone would be so kind as to PM me with staging areas into drinkwater Rower from there that woul be great. And if anyone is willing to trade me straight up for my "06 TTR 250 for a plated ride that would help alot also.

There's nothing legal up there newbie. 6 posts and you come the board with stupidity like that.:thumbsup:

Sure is alot of negativity out there. i guess the forestry service i have been stopped by on the trails i was speaking of for a sparky check must not have know the trails were illegal to ride on. also the map he gave me of the area we were riding in was nice, comes in handy for mapping out the loop i'll ride today.

Sure is alot of negativity out there. i guess the forestry service i have been stopped by on the trails i was speaking of for a sparky check must not have know the trails were illegal to ride on. also the map he gave me of the area we were riding in was nice, comes in handy for mapping out the loop i'll ride today.

Its not negativity. Its about knowing the facts. The only single track west of San Fransquito that is legal is the south portal trail and that starts right off of San Fran. Anything else in the area is illegal. Only the fire roads up there are legal to ride on. Before you go posting and inviting the world to ride up there you should know the facts. The fact you live there and don't know this make matters even worse.

Also don't take any of this personally as I have been "talked" too when I was new to this board as well. In fact ksrrider did give me the "talk" once too and now we are riding buddies. Well at least when he can keep up with me :thumbsup:

Its not negativity. Its about knowing the facts. The only single track west of San Fransquito that is legal is the south portal trail and that starts right off of San Fran. Anything else in the area is illegal. Only the fire roads up there are legal to ride on. Before you go posting and inviting the world to ride up there you should know the facts. The fact you live there and don't know this make matters even worse.

Also don't take any of this personally as I have been "talked" too when I was new to this board as well. In fact ksrrider did give me the "talk" once too and now we are riding buddies. Well at least when he can keep up with me :thumbsup:

since you know your stuff, I was wondering:

does S.P. trail (the section up the hill, not up the canyon) continue to the top of the mountain or do you have to turn around and come back down? looked like a lot of bushes at the top of that last hill climb,

Thanks!

does S.P. trail (the section up the hill, not up the canyon) continue to the top of the mountain or do you have to turn around and come back down? looked like a lot of bushes at the top of that last hill climb,

Thanks!

That is not part of the trail. The only signage for South Portal takes you into the canyon and its signed at both ends. Also those 3 trails going up that hill funnel into one and are not passable farther up. I don't know anyone capable of climbing some of the sections you would encounter going up that way. I know of some really good ex racers that came down that once and they said its not possible to go up. I think the only reason they are not blocked off is because of the powerline access.

That is not part of the trail. The only signage for South Portal takes you into the canyon and its signed at both ends. Also those 3 trails going up that hill funnel into one and are not passable farther up. I don't know anyone capable of climbing some of the sections you would encounter going up that way. I know of some really good ex racers that came down that once and they said its not possible to go up. I think the only reason they are not blocked off is because of the powerline access.

I completely agree. You can go up the 3 trails, but nowhere to go after that but back down again.

Thanks!

If you can make that last climb send David Knight a picture, he would be impressed.

Awesome,,, thanks guys, if I ever do go up there again I just might try the last hill (yeah right) because last time coming down the other parts was not so fun! heheh my buddy wen't over the bars soaring down the big smoother one 1/2 way up :thumbsup: