Sign in to follow this  

Hard to find shock spring

Hi everyone! I need a shock spring for my XR400R. Eibach #890.0090.1

It's a 9.0kg/mm. Does anyone have one or know someone who have one? I'm searching around the net and every store who sells it doesn't have that spring in stock, and it is backorder. Thanks

Isn't that the stock rate?? Or maybe 9.5?? If 9.5 is stock, it's not going to be worth changing for that tiny difference. How light are you?

Isn't that the stock rate?? Or maybe 9.5?? If 9.5 is stock, it's not going to be worth changing for that tiny difference. How light are you?

I'm 175lbs without gear, but I put .43 springs on front last year and revalved the rear shock with stock spring, but I still feel the bike unbalanced. I'm only trail riding and never bottom out with the comp clicker all the way out. I can live with the stock spring but don't want the rear too soft. I know XR's springs are stronger than other MX bikes so I should feel difference.

May not be an Eibach but have you checked his place out? It's where I bought mine.

http://www.moto-pro.com/ProductPage.asp?strMPSID=MPSPXR90

Did you got the quality expected with this spring?

I'm 175lbs without gear, but I put .43 springs on front last year and revalved the rear shock with stock spring, but I still feel the bike unbalanced. I'm only trail riding and never bottom out with the comp clicker all the way out. I can live with the stock spring but don't want the rear too soft. I know XR's springs are stronger than other MX bikes so I should feel difference.

XRs have higher spring rates than MX bikes because the linkage ratios are different then MX bikes so any comparison is apples to oranges.

The RaceTech website lists stock spring rates and has a calculator that uses your weight and bike model to suggest a spring rate, they also sell springs. Full size XR ProLink springs used on adjustable shocks interchange so you have a lot of options for a different spring rate, I just installed a 03 XR250 spring on a 90 XR200 to get a little stiffer rear suspension.

Without testing equipment, quality is subject to the naked eye, seat of the pants riding and longevity.

I'd say yes, quality is as good as/or better than Eibach. Made the change 5 years ago and it's still working great.

Like MadMat, I initially had my rear shock revalved to work with the stock spring, but it still wasn't as plush and forgiving over the technical rocky/rooty terrain that I was wanting. So I swapped it out for a 9.0. I know it's not much of a difference but it made a huge difference to the ride I was looking for. I'm 165lbs.

Did you got the quality expected with this spring?

'stronger than other MX bikes' ????

A spring rate is a spring rate. And you're talking about going softer here you realize.

'stronger than other MX bikes' ????

A spring rate is a spring rate. And you're talking about going softer here you realize.

You can lift a house with a valve spring with the right lever, so "a spring rate is not a spring rate".

Thanks guys who helped me!

You can lift a house with a valve spring with the right lever, so "a spring rate is not a spring rate".

That's just about the most non-nonsensical statement I've ever seen on here. (and that's going some!) :ride:

YES, a given spring rate IS the same, no matter who wound it.

Doh........ :thumbsup:

That's just about the most non-nonsensical statement I've ever seen on here. (and that's going some!) :ride:

YES, a given spring rate IS the same, no matter who wound it.

Doh........ :thumbsup:

Sorry, I misunderstood your statement. That's why I prefer helpful comments vs useless comments. Less chances of misunderstanding.

I checked Race tech and the calculator says 9.1 is right for your weight. Late XR250/400/650R have a different leverage ratio from all the other XRs. Other XRs would need a stiffer spring in general. Due to shock body diameter being different most other XR springs likely will not fit. I would just back preload way down first and try it.